U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 02:13 AM

2 posts, read 19,979 times

Advertisements

My family is considering relocating to upstate New York and we'd like a place with a small town feel with good access to outdoor activities. Overall... just looking for a nice place to live. I've heard some good things about Seneca Falls and Geneva. Could anyone tell me about their experiences with those places or areas nearby? Any info would be appreciated! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 07:51 AM

142 posts, read 688,727 times
Coguy1967,
Are you considering those two areas due to proximity to work? I spent 4 years in Geneva (college) and thought it was an okay place. Parts of the town are drop dead gorgeous with grand houses and beautiful row houses, but the whole downtown had a seedy feel to it. It has gotten somewhat better, but I know a family who lives there, and wants to leave. They are unhappy with the school system, (and she is a teacher there). Different people will give you different opinions. From an outdoors perspective, the countryside there is beautiful. Lots of vineyards, farms, waterfalls...the list goes on and on. Don't know much about Seneca Falls except that I drive through it every so often. It has a beautiful street of historic homes, and a downtown that has seen better days. SF has a spacious feel to it.
If you consider going more east, I live in Skaneateles. We have a great school district (I have kids in elementary, middle and high school), a beautiful town with surprisingly good shopping and restaurants, a gorgeous lake that anchors the town, and an extraordinary sense of community spirit. Our town is tightly zoned, so there are no fast food chains or big box stores anywhere near us. The closest ones are about 8 miles away in Auburn. Sports are big here, the entire town seems to go to our football games (even though we don't seem to win that many). Lacrosse and hockey are probably the most popular sports. There is okay skiing about 25 minutes away,with better skiing further north.
If you want to know about other towns, start threads about each one. Lots of people here can offer guidance.
Good luck with your plans.
Jo

Old 10-31-2007, 02:31 PM

2 posts, read 19,979 times
Default Thanks!

Skaneatelesmom,
Thanks for the info! Since we're far out of the area, workplaces aren't settled yet, but I don't mind the commute if the place we live is a good one. These were just some places I've heard of and did a little research into. Of course, we'll take a visit when it gets closer to the move - I used to move to places sight unseen, but not into that anymore.

Thank you for the info on your town - it sounds really nice. It might take a while to learn to pronounce it, but you describe it well, and it's obvious you enjoy living there. It's one I'll defintiely check out!

To everyone else, any more info on the towns I mentioned (pros and cons) or the surrounding area would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 03-09-2009, 02:48 PM

24 posts, read 86,299 times
I started a thread about Waverly, NY, and have received a lot of good advice about upstate NY in general. Seneca Falls and Auburn were both mentioned, and some of the posts are lengthy in detail. It might help you out. Thanks to your thread, though, I'm now adding an additional town (Skaneateles) to my lists of 'check-outs'.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:39 AM

4,006 posts, read 8,627,372 times
Seneca Falls and neighboring Waterloo were always favorite towns of mine to stroll around, although it's been a couple of years since I did that. Not as touristy or "high falutin" as Skaneateles, certainly not as much shopping or restaurants. Not as seedy feeling as Geneva was a few years ago for sure. Both have movie set quality small town American residential neighborhoods.

Old 04-12-2009, 04:10 PM

5 posts, read 27,179 times
Exclamation Serious concerns

I moved to the Seneca Falls/Geneva area in 2002. I must caution anyone who wants to relocate to this area.
Jobs are hard to get and pay is very low compared to more urban areas around the country. If you're a professional, you may be surprised at the management styles here. From personal experience and conversations with friends who have lived here much longer than I have, the level of professionalism in this region is extremely challenged. Elsewhere where I have lived and worked, supervisors and co-workers are more apt to support one another; but in this region you'll find low morale and sabotage at many, if not most, places of work. There are good people here, but I've run into so many people who don't actually do the job they're hired for and if they do, they do so angrily. You'll find this in the local government, in retail and hospitality services, utilities, and even church. People here act as if they live in Manhattan, but have a very limited, if any, knowledge of the world and the sort of mutual support you find elsewhere.
This is not the town in "It's a Wonderful Life;" it's truly closer to the "Twilight Zone." [Rod Serling lived here for many years...]

Old 04-07-2011, 03:35 AM

8 posts, read 24,224 times
Default Small Town Attitudes Are Everywhere

The previous post seemed to imply that the small town attitudes of non-professionalism are confined to Seneca Falls and Geneva, NY.

Well, I have news for you: This sort of footdragging exists in small towns all over the country, and is especially prevalent down south.

It is true that pay rates in upstate New York cannot possibly compete with those of the metro areas, but, then again, the cost of living there is significantly lower. So, it's a push.

And, if you think that attitudes and levels of professionalism are significantly higher in the metro areas, you're pretty misguided. The level of gamesmanship, turf protecting, noncooperation, cliques, office warfare and needless rivalry in the big cities is shocking. No wonder things rarely get done properly, and the cost of goods and services are so ridiculously high across the board.

I know of what I speak. I've worked in New York, Chicago and Philadelphia.

So, consider that Seneca Falls and Geneva are just small upstate towns, off the mainstream, and, as such, follow a different dynamic and game plan than urban areas. And, all things considered, as trade-offs are always required, no better or worse. Just not quite the same.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:20 AM

719 posts, read 1,189,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Northeast View Post
The previous post seemed to imply that the small town attitudes of non-professionalism are confined to Seneca Falls and Geneva, NY.

Well, I have news for you: This sort of footdragging exists in small towns all over the country, and is especially prevalent down south.

It is true that pay rates in upstate New York cannot possibly compete with those of the metro areas, but, then again, the cost of living there is significantly lower. So, it's a push.

And, if you think that attitudes and levels of professionalism are significantly higher in the metro areas, you're pretty misguided. The level of gamesmanship, turf protecting, noncooperation, cliques, office warfare and needless rivalry in the big cities is shocking. No wonder things rarely get done properly, and the cost of goods and services are so ridiculously high across the board.

I know of what I speak. I've worked in New York, Chicago and Philadelphia.

So, consider that Seneca Falls and Geneva are just small upstate towns, off the mainstream, and, as such, follow a different dynamic and game plan than urban areas. And, all things considered, as trade-offs are always required, no better or worse. Just not quite the same.
You are 100% spot-on. Good post! +1 to you!

Old 02-28-2015, 08:06 AM

47,360 posts, read 67,308,240 times
ITT/Gould Pumps in Seneca Falls has been growing and you may look to hospitals, colleges and select other companies in the area for employment. Looking into the Rochester or Syracuse areas is another possibility as well.

Geneva's graduation rate has improved as it was last reported to be above the state and national percentage at 82%. The Pulteney St. Survey (7th paragraph from the bottom) It is a more diverse community/school district than Seneca Falls.

Old 04-27-2015, 01:17 AM

260 posts, read 168,935 times
Post is dated but here goes; Pretty area, canals, lakes, quiet area, with few bad areas. I lived in Seneca Falls but real estate taxes were ridiculous, paid the tab on schools, police, village, everything and I moved to nyc. If you rent there you could live a bit cheaper with easy access to Thruway and the charm of the Finger Lakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York