Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 10:59 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,403,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychrome View Post
Interesting- solar panels are a problem because if you improperly dispose of them they will seep toxins into the ground and water table (never mind that most of what is toxic in a solar panel is valuable and recyclable, and solar panels are easy to keep track of to be sure they don't end up in landfills), but deliberately injecting toxins into the ground at very high pressure all over the place during the fracking process, with little understanding or ability to predict where those toxins will end up, is nothing to worry about…
Brilliant.
The logic gets worse, trust me.

I was told bicycles are not "green" or "eco-friendly" because it takes pollution to manufacture them. I mean technically it does, but why bother arguing with such logic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 08:13 PM

454 posts, read 763,522 times
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

I've lived around fracking for about 20 years. I read about 6 months ago they plan on drilling 4 new wells in my town. I have never seen them, heard them, smelled them or breathed them.

I live in an upscale suburb that has an excellent school district. It was defined recently in a magazine as 'a suburb that looks like Walt Disney designed it...'

When a home goes up for sale here, it is sold in 3 days or less.

They started drilling about 20 years ago, to no fanfare whatsoever, and from what I hear they are still drilling. It has literally not affected any part of my lovely town, but some friends have gotten unexpected checks in the mail due to their location.

I did not read this in 'right-wing propaganda' (!) I have lived it, seen it, and frankly, all the hoopla in NY seems like much ado about nothing. But I understand that in New York 'environmentalism' is a rabid religion, and will protest any development whatsoever.

This is funny...my brother lives in a suburb of Syracuse. His town decided to build an small amphitheater for local concerts and town events. Now there is a group calling themselves 'Citizens against the amphitheater" because they're afraid of any change in that sleepy town. Unbelievable.

Manhattan is slowly changing from oil to gas heat to reduce costs and improve air quality. Everyone wants a gas stove.
I sincerely hope they drill in NY because 1) the state needs help desperately and 2) it will show everyone there is little to fear.

Old 06-15-2014, 04:33 PM

15,842 posts, read 14,472,390 times
They're not injecting chemicals into the water table. The drilling mud is being inject thousands of feet below the water table, and the bore holes are cased in steel and concrete to prevent leakage to the strata above where they actually want to work on.

Until solar panels get much more cost effective, and someone comes up with a viable method of storing the electricity they make for use at night, solar is a non-alternative. And even if it ever becomes viable, we're then going to hear complains about the vast amounts of land that will need to be covered with them, in order to make a useful amount of electricity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychrome View Post
Interesting- solar panels are a problem because if you improperly dispose of them they will seep toxins into the ground and water table (never mind that most of what is toxic in a solar panel is valuable and recyclable, and solar panels are easy to keep track of to be sure they don't end up in landfills), but deliberately injecting toxins into the ground at very high pressure all over the place during the fracking process, with little understanding or ability to predict where those toxins will end up, is nothing to worry about…
Brilliant.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:00 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
State Assembly votes in favor of three-year fracking ban | Innovation Trail

Old 06-17-2014, 07:24 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,772,332 times
Why does the NY State Assembly hate science and residents of the Southern Tier? Totally regressive on their part. Upstate needs to secede from those downstate anti-science, anti-liberty, anti-worker, anti-poor, pro-.001% wackos.

Old 06-22-2014, 06:48 AM

5 Things You Probably Don

Old 06-22-2014, 04:01 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,258,595 times
The anti-fracking idiots are the most anti-science people I can think of. It's not just fracking they are against. The are against ALL fossil fuels (and nuclear power). They live in a fantasy land that the United States electricity needs (including electric heat and electric cars) will come from wind and solar (and a little hydro). No coal, no nukes, no natural gas, and no oil/gasoline. Solar panels on every roof, and windmills crisscrossing the country. It is beyond madness.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:01 AM

454 posts, read 763,522 times
I guess they're hoping Yoko Ono will pay their heating bill.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:05 AM

1,422 posts, read 3,441,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roskybosky View Post

I've lived around fracking for about 20 years. I read about 6 months ago they plan on drilling 4 new wells in my town. I have never seen them, heard them, smelled them or breathed them.

I live in an upscale suburb that has an excellent school district. It was defined recently in a magazine as 'a suburb that looks like Walt Disney designed it...'

They started drilling about 20 years ago, to no fanfare whatsoever, and from what I hear they are still drilling. It has literally not affected any part of my lovely town, but some friends have gotten unexpected checks in the mail due to their location.

I did not read this in 'right-wing propaganda' (!) I have lived it, seen it, and frankly, all the hoopla in NY seems like much ado about nothing. But I understand that in New York 'environmentalism' is a rabid religion, and will protest any development whatsoever.

This is funny...my brother lives in a suburb of Syracuse. His town decided to build an small amphitheater for local concerts and town events. Now there is a group calling themselves 'Citizens against the amphitheater" because they're afraid of any change in that sleepy town. Unbelievable.

Manhattan is slowly changing from oil to gas heat to reduce costs and improve air quality. Everyone wants a gas stove.
I sincerely hope they drill in NY because 1) the state needs help desperately and 2) it will show everyone there is little to fear.
where do you live I wanna move there.. lol.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roskybosky View Post

That's not going to happen and while there can be a NIMBY mindset among some in the area, I think that their labor is in vain in terms of that project.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York