U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-14-2013, 08:01 AM

2 posts, read 8,120 times
Question Cost of oil heat vs natural gas

Hi all,

I'm looking at buying a house in Ithaca. Does it make a big difference in heating costs if it is oil heat vs. natural gas? Can anyone share specific numbers for how much you pay for natural gas or heating oil around that area?

Thanks!

Ed
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 08:34 AM

2,468 posts, read 1,473,857 times
It makes a huge difference. Gas is cheaper by a factor of much.

Of coarse if your in BFE and can't get gas your stuck with oil. Or wood. Or something expensive.

For now, and for the foreseeable future its best to stick close to a gas pipe from a money stand point. I'll put up a link that the numbers match my personal experience but do not know anything about this site except to say the price of oil has not come down in 18 months...............

Oil vs. Natural Gas for Home Heating: Which Costs More?: Scientific American

Old 06-14-2013, 08:38 AM
Status: "Game recognized game from the start" (set 4 days ago)

30,027 posts, read 34,474,856 times
You can check with NYSEG, which is the company that serves Tompkins County: NYSEG

I'm not sure if they can tell you anything about oil heat costs though. Here is a company that I found that may know though: Heating Oil & Propane NY | Trumansburg Ithaca Horseheads | Ehrhart

Old 06-18-2013, 06:26 PM

3,340 posts, read 2,816,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Gas is cheaper by a factor of much.
My favorite line of the day...."by a factor of much."

Gas is also faaaaaar cleaner than oil. Oil leaves stinky soot all over. You better have money on hand during the winter for fills up. I know a few who have oil and it costs them over a grand a fill up. They have to do several fill ups a winter. YIKES!

Old 06-19-2013, 07:55 AM

2,915 posts, read 1,378,464 times
Oil heat was sort of semi-popular in the Albany area when I lived there in the 1990s, but it has never been a first choice further west. People always go with natural gas if they can get it because of cost ... or even propane. I can't remember the last time I saw/heard of a house with oil heat in the Southern Tier.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Oil heat was sort of semi-popular in the Albany area when I lived there in the 1990s, but it has never been a first choice further west. People always go with natural gas if they can get it because of cost ... or even propane. I can't remember the last time I saw/heard of a house with oil heat in the Southern Tier.
I was looking at properties last night and there are plenty in the Southern Tier with oil heat. Once you get outside of a city or village the gas lines drop like a rock. Natural gas has been the most popular in the Albany area pretty much since gas heat was invented...it's far cleaner and easier. Nowadays it's way cheaper also.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:08 AM

2,915 posts, read 1,378,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I was looking at properties last night and there are plenty in the Southern Tier with oil heat. Once you get outside of a city or village the gas lines drop like a rock. Natural gas has been the most popular in the Albany area pretty much since gas heat was invented...it's far cleaner and easier. Nowadays it's way cheaper also.
The problem with natural gas around Albany is that there's a lot of bedrock close to the surface that makes putting in natural gas lines difficult.

Here in the western Southern Tier, the area is laced with natural gas pipelines because of extensive gas drilling that's been going on since the 1980s. Even where there are not lines, most people seem to prefer propane or a combination wood/electric to oil.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:54 AM

251 posts, read 616,804 times
My mom and I were comparing heating costs recently and I would guess from that that natural gas is cheaper by at *least* a factor of 2 right now. Her house and mine are similar square footage and style, built in a similar era, electricity costs were comparable, and for us it was more like a factor of 4.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:42 PM

2 posts, read 8,120 times
Thanks for the replies. Looks like in the end I'm going to be stuck with propane, since I'm looking at a place where the closest gas line is almost half a mile down the road. I read somewhere that nyseg charges $70/foot so that's definitely not going to happen! Hopefully a gas line will come out my way eventually.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
The problem with natural gas around Albany is that there's a lot of bedrock close to the surface that makes putting in natural gas lines difficult.

Here in the western Southern Tier, the area is laced with natural gas pipelines because of extensive gas drilling that's been going on since the 1980s. Even where there are not lines, most people seem to prefer propane or a combination wood/electric to oil.
Actually, the Capitol Region isn't entirely on bedrock. Many areas are clay. Everyone has basements so they manage somehow to excavate at least 8 feet into the ground. Gas is also very common in areas with population. Gas doesn't exist where there's 5 houses in a mile stretch. That's just economics. Gas has been in the Capitol Region in the cities since at least the VERY early 1900's.

Many moons ago I lived in a Victorian flat in Schenectady. When it was built back in 1901, it had gas lights and a coal furnace. Some years later the coal furnace was converted to gas. Even the house I live in now has had coal and oil throughout the last 70 years and now has gas. And I'm in the heart of the Finger Lakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York