Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 06:15 PM

4 posts, read 10,119 times

Advertisements

Hi to all!!

I recently took a sales position in Woodbury, NY and will be moving from Midwest to start position in July......I would like to ask your WISDOM by asking a few questions please.....
Would you recommend staying close to Woodbury,NY or surrounding cities or Boroughs? If so, please list suggestions.
Would you recommend commuting from New Jersey to Woodbury? If so, where would you recommend I live in New Jersey so can have an easy commute & where rent is affordable?!
What high schools/college would you suggest?
If neither to either or, can you offer any other suggestions that would be more wise?

My info to answer these questions are:

-2 children: 1 currently @ CMU (central MI Univ), & 1 starting 9th grade next year
-Would like a studio or 2 bedroom for starters, clean & in a safe neighborhood
-budget:$1000-$1300
-have a car, but if I don't need it advice on commute would be nice
-active in church......work with youth

Thank you in advance for your help & concerns! I look forward to reading your comments.You are appreciated! Blessings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 06:34 PM

715 posts, read 2,509,754 times
Northern New Jersey would be tough on that budget. Your best bet is to stay in Orange County, where you will be working. Have a look at Monroe/Woodbury, Cornwall, Washingtonville, Montgomery, Goshen, and the Town of Wallkill (Middletown, NY).

If you absolutely have to live in New Jersey, then you'd have to search in Sussex County (maybe West Milford, NJ).

Old 06-07-2013, 07:08 PM

I thank you much. No I do not have to stay in Jersey but wasn't sure......I would like to stay near my job in Woodbury, NY......I was told Queen's New York is close to Woodbury not I haven't researched it yet.....

Old 06-08-2013, 08:35 AM

Queens is a burough of New York City. While the distance is about 60 miles from Queens to Woodbury, you'd have to contend with crossing bridges and traffic. Therefore, the commute from Queens to Woodbury would be extremely long and tiring. I would advise against it.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:33 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,815,877 times
Did you take a job in Woodbury Nassau County, NY or Woodbury Orange County NY? It appears to be Woodbury in Orange County from your initial post.

Queens is closer to the Woodbury in Nassau County\

You need to figure out which one.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:01 AM

I will be in zip code 11797.....Nassau County.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:02 AM

Thanks for all the Wisdom too.....It really helps the decision for I am researching all suggestions given. Blessings.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:18 PM

You should post this in the Long Island forum.

Please disregard my posts above since I didn't know that you meant the Nassau County "Woodbury."

Old 06-16-2013, 07:08 PM

214 posts, read 468,253 times
that is a low budget for new york/long island rentals. Syosset and Jericho are good school districts and near woodbury, but I don't know if you would find a rental within your budget.

Valley Stream might be a good compromise - it's a pretty safe area, rentals are I think within your budget there, and the school district is decent (not the greatest). Valley Stream is a very mixed ethnicity - lots of koreans, pakistanis and african americans, along with italians and hispanics. There are alot of churches in valley stream.

Lynbrook is also a pretty good school district - again with rentals within your budget, I believe.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:39 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,815,877 times
definitely post on the LI board

Also: check this for HS rankings. It is another City-Data post:

Long Island School District Rankings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York