Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 01:13 PM

6 posts, read 13,317 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Been living in Nassau County, NY last 15 years, becoming way to crowded and over populated, everyone's building Mc Mansions on their tiny lots, taxes are too high for what we get, disappointed with schools.., my list is too long to continue. Looking to relocate to Orange County NY, family friendly neighborhoods, hopefully about an acre size yard, near parks, lakes, hiking ,etc. But also would like reasonable access to shopping, restaurants etc..Crucial needs are including a Special Needs school for young son (11), and also a good public High School for other child. Also husband would be driving to Queens daily for work, anyone doing that drive out there? Would love to hear your experience and or advice. Any advice on all is greatly appreciated. So eager to get out of here!

Last edited by evelyn8; 08-29-2013 at 01:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 04:55 PM

715 posts, read 2,509,197 times
Orange to Queens would be a long drive, one that I can't imagine anyone would want to do on the daily. There are plenty of people that go to the Bronx or Manhattan everyday...and I'm sure there is a handful that go all the way to Queens...but that is really pushing the commuting limits, in my opinion.

If you were to relocate to Orange, it would be best that you stay as far south as possible. That leaves you with options like Monroe/Woodbury-Harriman-Central Valley, Tuxedo, Fort Montgomery, Highland Falls, and Cornwall. In terms of nature, there is plenty of it here -- ranging from Bear Mountain State Park, to Harriman State Park, to Mount Beacon and the Walkway over the Hudson.

Amenities are plentiful, especially in the Monroe/Woodbury area. I'm sure it will be cheaper in Orange than what you are currently experiencing in Nassau, but the COL has steadily risen in Orange over the years.

In order to alleviate some of that commute, maybe you could take a look at options in Rockland or Westchester Counties. Places that you could look into: Suffern, Stony Point, Pearl River, Nyack, Tarrytown, Peeksill, Croton-on-Hudson, Mount Kisco, Yorktown...

Feel free to ask anything!

Old 08-31-2013, 10:33 AM

Hi Dreamshot,
Thanks so much for your reply, I've read tons of your posts. I actually grew up in Rockland till mid teenage years so am familiar with a lot of where you mentioned. Very fond memories at Bear Mt. .. Yeah, the commute is going to need consideration, but above all would be the special needs school as I mentioned..
You gave good areas to research, thanks so much. Going to be checking out the fall foliage and the areas all at once soon. Need to take road trip up there and get some breathing space, highly lacking down here..

Old 09-07-2013, 07:59 AM

137 posts, read 218,408 times
If you really have to relocate there, Id look at some of the options around Dutchess and areas around the Taconic.

The Taconic will make commuting more convenient and theres some more space there than in the Orange/Sullivan area which has become a overcrowded mess.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:54 AM

12 posts, read 24,044 times
As far as your question regarding the drive from Orange to Queens, I live outside of Port Jervis and did that commute for about 3 months before I transferred to working in North Bronx. I was working right on the other side of the Triboro so it wasn't too far in Queens. I worked 3 pm to 11 30 pm and did not hit any traffic, 90 min each way. Working sometimes 7 am to 3 pm was a disaster getting there and home, 2 hours avg. Tolls appx $21 a day. Good luck!

Old 09-12-2013, 10:28 AM

Thanks both for your replies, funny you mention Orange County becoming over crowded.. just what we are trying to get away from. Planning on going up this weekend for a look/feel around. As far as the commute, that's going to weigh in a lot..and those tolls are brutal.. always going up.. not to mention the gas! Thanks for input.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:56 AM

21 posts, read 59,640 times
I look at Orange as the new Long Island. Yes its getting more populated and more suburban than rural but theres still property, cheaper COL, and the everyday ammenities as whats on long island. I cant wait to move there.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:07 AM

hmm.. we really need to do our homework on this because I definitely do not want another long island.. which is actually feeling more like Queens.. We really want the amenities, the acre size lot and plenty of green space, natural parks and recreation, etc. Need space.. I currently live in a town that's 2 square miles with 20,000 people shuffling around.. feels more like living in an ant hill than a place to raise kids.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:07 PM

12 posts, read 24,044 times
I moved up from Wantagh and I can tell you it is nothing like LI. There are certain spots in Orange that are becoming more suburban than rural but ever since I left Sullivan to move to LI I have wanted nothing more than to get back to a slower way of life.
Overcrowding is def an issue in the big cities of Orange but there are plenty of towns in northern/western Orange that you can live in. And you are 100% right in saying LI is becoming the 6th and 7th boro.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:31 PM

21 posts, read 59,640 times
Cuddebackville, Pine Bush, Bullville, Hugenot, Greenville all north and west
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York