Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 04:45 PM

43 posts, read 61,189 times

Advertisements

im from LA and i want to move to the east coast or mid west maybe I love Cali but there is not much of a Italian community i just need a change plus im Italian and french i wanna move to a place with more Italian's that is safe any ideas?
Need Help! Im born and raised in Cali but im over it here I need a change I wanna move to the east coast or the mid west or to an area with more Italians. Im Italian and french and I would love to live near more Italian's and in a safe clean area Which areas have more Italians? What states ? and hows the cost of living? I have a very hard time meeting other Italians in LA so that's why i wanna move. id like some help I wanna know everything thanks

p.s. money really is not an issue but i do want to know what to expect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 06:33 PM

93,313 posts, read 123,941,088 times
What kind of city/town are you looking to live in? You have many options in NY State, but the kind of place you are looking for will help find a place to live in.

While you are still in L.A., check out San Pedro.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-10-2013 at 06:55 PM..

Old 09-10-2013, 08:57 PM

796 posts, read 1,756,486 times
Eastchester in Westchester County is very Italian

Old 09-11-2013, 06:33 AM

While it is a quite old, this could give you an idea of areas to look into: Statistics

Old 09-11-2013, 08:03 AM

247 posts, read 525,837 times
Rotterdam, NY
Utica, NY

Old 09-11-2013, 09:55 AM

70 posts, read 165,248 times
Depends on what you're looking for, but New York is the right place for Italians.

If you're looking for a big city, downstate, Staten Island has some gorgeous neighborhoods, is somewhat affordable for NYC and is loaded with Italians.

If you're looking for smaller, but still urban, I've got to mention Endicott, specifically the Little Italy neighborhood and just north of it. It's very safe, nice and the neighborhood just north of it, along with being majority Italian, has one of the highest percentages of people speaking Italian in the country. Utica, Rome, Syracuse, Buffalo, Rochester areas etc. all have large Italian populations.

Also, I'd look at the Scranton area. Old Forge, places like that. Very safe area and loaded with Italians.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:50 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,199,743 times
Italians are just about everywhere in NYS, from NYC to Buffalo and lots of smaller cities in between and even in small towns. Vestiges of old style Italian immigrant communities exist in all of the large cities in NYS, but since large-scale immigration from Italy ended about 1920 (at least to most of Upstate NY), most of these immigrant communities are fading away. Like other ethnic groups, later generations of Italian Americans have moved away from their immigrant pasts, both culturally and geographically.

In the Buffalo area, there are still significant numbers of Italian Americans living in many neighborhoods on the West Side and in North Buffalo as well as in South Buffalo and out in the suburb of West Seneca. There is also a sizeable Italian American population in and around Niagara Falls, NY.

There are also many Italian Americans living in the small towns and rural areas of south of Buffalo, primarily Angola, North Collins, and Silver Creek. These are the descendents of Italian immigrants who came to this area in the early 1900s to work on the fruit, veggie, grape farms in the area and stayed on, many becoming farmers themselves (including my grandparents).

Old 09-12-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Italians are just about everywhere in NYS, from NYC to Buffalo and lots of smaller cities in between and even in small towns. Vestiges of old style Italian immigrant communities exist in all of the large cities in NYS, but since large-scale immigration from Italy ended about 1920 (at least to most of Upstate NY), most of these immigrant communities are fading away. Like other ethnic groups, later generations of Italian Americans have moved away from their immigrant pasts, both culturally and geographically.

In the Buffalo area, there are still significant numbers of Italian Americans living in many neighborhoods on the West Side and in North Buffalo as well as in South Buffalo and out in the suburb of West Seneca. There is also a sizeable Italian American population in and around Niagara Falls, NY.

There are also many Italian Americans living in the small towns and rural areas of south of Buffalo, primarily Angola, North Collins, and Silver Creek. These are the descendents of Italian immigrants who came to this area in the early 1900s to work on the fruit, veggie, grape farms in the area and stayed on, many becoming farmers themselves (including my grandparents).
Does Kenmore have a pretty high Italian percentage as well? I thought that some Italians may have moved there as well.

In the Syracuse area, you still have quite a few on the city's North Side, with some in the West End. Solvay/Lakeland(cdp), Lyncourt, the Northern suburban school districts(Liverpool, North Syracuse(including Cicero) and Baldwinsville), outer cities like Oswego, Fulton, Oneida and Auburn, along with Canastota(due to Onion farming) have high Italian percentages.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post

Does Kenmore have a pretty high Italian percentage as well? I thought that some Italians may have moved there as well.

In the Syracuse area, you still have quite a few on the city's North Side, Eastwood neighborhood and with some in the West End. Solvay/Lakeland(cdp), Lyncourt, the Northern suburban school districts(Liverpool, North Syracuse(including Cicero) and Baldwinsville), outer cities like Oswego, Fulton, Oneida and Auburn, along with Canastota(due to Onion farming) have high Italian percentages.

Some may have come after WWII as well. I work with a lady whose mother came to the US from Abruzzo after WWII. A co-worker that recently became a citizen about 2 years ago came from the Amalfi Coast. So, you get some that have come to NYS post WWII and even in recent years.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-12-2013 at 10:30 AM..

Old 09-12-2013, 11:14 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,199,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post

In the Syracuse area, you still have quite a few on the city's North Side, Eastwood neighborhood and with some in the West End. Solvay/Lakeland(cdp), Lyncourt, the Northern suburban school districts(Liverpool, North Syracuse(including Cicero) and Baldwinsville), outer cities like Oswego, Fulton, Oneida and Auburn, along with Canastota(due to Onion farming) have high Italian percentages.

Some may have come after WWII as well. I work with a lady whose mother came to the US from Abruzzo after WWII. A co-worker that recently became a citizen about 2 years ago came from the Amalfi Coast. So, you get some that have come to NYS post WWII and even in recent years.
I'm sure that there are many Italian Americans in Kenmore, Tonawanda, and Amherst simply because in Buffalo, that's a major migration pattern: West Side - North Buffalo - northern suburbs. An alternative one is Ellicott District (just east of downtown) - South Buffalo - West Seneca/Orchard Park/Lancaster. My grandparents originally settled the Ellicott District before moving out to North Collins, and my oldest aunt married a guy from that neighborhood, and they lived there. Later, all my uncles and aunts boarded with her while they were getting established in the city and they pretty much all lived in South Buffalo and the southeastern suburbs.

I don't know if other cities have these kinds of ethnic migration patterns that are the norm in Buffalo. Poles, Irish, and even the Germans (probably the oldest large ethnic group in the city) all share similar patterns. There were ethnic enclaves around the city, and if your great grand parents started west of Main Street, your family tended to move north. If your family started east of Main Street, they tended to go south. If your family started right near downtown, they tended to head south or southeast. What you hardly ever found, until relatively recently, were families moving from the west side to the eastern suburbs or people from North Buffalo moving to the southern suburbs. The only ethnic enclave that I know of that went against this general rule were the Jews. They started out east of Main Street, moved across Main Street into what is the Delaware District (but fairly closely Main), then they headed into North Buffalo and finally into Amherst. My feeling is that this probably happened elsewhere in larger cities but I'm not sure.

I didn't mean to imply that Italians just stopped migrating into Upstate after 1920. Prior to WW I, they were coming into the US by the tens of thousands (probably 100,000+) every year. After about 1923, the numbers of immigrants from southern and eastern Europe were severely limited by quotas, so Italian immigration declined to a trickle compared to what it had been. Most Italian-Americans trace their American roots to immigrants who came between 1890 and 1920.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York