U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-11-2013, 01:55 PM

10 posts, read 10,959 times
Default Job Offer in Middletown,NY Need help for possible relocation

Hello everyone. I live in Queens and was recently offered a job in Middletown. I don't want to make the long daily drive to Middletown so I am thinking about moving closer to my (hopefully) new job.

I was wondering which adjacent towns would be a good place to live? I'm a single male. Also, aside from motels, what are some good short term/ temporary living spots and where? I figure if I can do some type of temporary living arrangement while I look for an apartment.

How about apartment complexes? I've researched the Imperial Gardens complex. Does anyone have any experiences with this or any other complexes?

And finally, what about public transportation? I know that there is a Metro-North station in Middletown and its operated by NJT. I did a trip planner and saw that the first train from Penn Station arrives in Middletown at around 10:00 am. NOT good for a 8-4. I'll run more trip planners later.

Thank you for reading. I appreciate any help.

And yes, I know how to use Google and the "search" button. I've barely scratched the surface in my research and will dedicate this weekend towards more research.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 09:34 PM

693 posts, read 1,018,650 times
First off, welcome (potentially) to the area and congratulations on the job! I've lived in Orange County for nearly 18 years and hope that I can be of some assistance to you. It will certainly be a bit of a transition, moving from the big City to what most NYC residents would consider "upstate" or the "countryside." The county has undergone significant changes since 9/11. Before 9/11, it was rather rural and cheaper. After 9/11, many City residents packed up and moved north, leading to the second highest population growth rate in the state (source: Census 2010). The boom in population has led to more disposable money for the county, which allows it to compete with Westchester and Rockland for NYC commuters/families. This has also led the county to become more urban or at least suburban in nature. There is also a good deal of open land around the county and in neighboring counties, something that Rockland and Westchester can't really offer, making it more attractive.

The good news is that we are still within the NYC Designated Market Area limits, which means that we get all the news stations that you are used to (NY1, CBS2, NBC4, FOX5, ABC7, etc.) as well as the prime NYC radio stations (92.3 NOW, 95.5 PLJ, HOT 97, Z100, WFAN, POWER 1051 and so forth).

The drive from Queens would be a hell of a haul and think that relocating is in your best interest. Fortunately, there is an abundance of housing in the area and I don't think you'll have a problem finding anything, short or long term. For short term housing options, I think that this is your best bet: hudson valley sublets & temporary classifieds - craigslist or hudson valley apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

For apartment hunting, Google is your best friend. I actually used to know someone who lived in Imperial Gardens, it seemed nice enough to me. Very convenient to everything in Middletown. You can search for other apartment complexes in Middletown, or search in the nearby communities of Montgomery, Goshen, Chester, and Florida. Expect to pay $1000-$1500/month to rent a decent place.

In terms of public transportation, we have Metro North (operated by NJT in Orange County) and Metro North across the Hudson River in Beacon for direct service to Grand Central. Lots of commuters to NYC, not too many doing the reverse, however. Monthly from here to NYC will run you about $400 (same from NYC out here). There is also Shortline to/from NYC Port Authority. You'll need a car up here -- it would be difficult to live without one.

Middletown is on the major Route 17, I-84, and just miles from 87/NYS Thruway. 45 minutes to the Tappan Zee, 65-80 minutes to NYC limits by car.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:02 AM

20 posts, read 16,403 times
Definitely research and look at the area in Middletown before rushing to move in. Some areas arent as desireable as others regardless of the price.

Old 09-12-2013, 03:10 PM

Thanks for your informative and excellent post Dreamshot! Research wise, I have my work cut out for me.

Helppp, can you provide more details?

Thanks for posting!

Old 09-13-2013, 01:26 PM

Middletown zip is enormous look into silver lake, scotchtown, washington heights, mechanicstown. All Middletown, just not the "direct" city

Old 09-14-2013, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helpppp View Post
Middletown zip is enormous look into silver lake, scotchtown, washington heights, mechanicstown. All Middletown, just not the "direct" city
Thanks helpppp. I'll add those towns to my list for further research.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,264 times
I made an offer on a house right by memorial park in the Washington heights area. I'm from Staten Island and I'm hoping I did not make a mistake!

Old 09-21-2013, 12:01 PM

best of luck to you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York