Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2013, 08:28 AM

29 posts, read 108,521 times

Advertisements

What is the cost of living like for these counties? How much is the average house and taxes? Could someone realistically commute to NYC every day from these areas? I just wanted to explore other options, I currently live on Long Island with my husband and toddler son, where the cost of living is very high and continues to rise. In fact, our taxes went up maybe 2,500 or so since we bought our house 3 years ago. Husband is dead set of moving out of state (mainly because of family and it would be hard to find jobs). I would love to stay home if I could, but even though I make half of what my husband makes, we still need my income in order to pay our bills each month. So, I just wanted to see if the COL was any better in Rockland, Orange, or Putnam counties. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 05:55 PM

715 posts, read 2,501,464 times
To answer your COL question, it should be substantially less in Orange, and still less in both Rockland and Putnam. Taxes vary greatly across the region and have to be investigated on a case-by-case basis. I would bet that on whole, they would be less than what you are currently paying. Average house? I'm just coming up with these numbers on the fly, but for a decent 3-bedroom place in Orange, 250-300K, more if newer build. Tack on another 50-100K for Rockland/Putnam. As for the commute, thousands do it everyday: Metro North is typically the way to go, but there are buses too. Commute times generally range from 50 minutes to 105 minutes each way. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask!

Old 10-14-2013, 02:06 PM

29 posts, read 108,521 times
Thank you! I will message you if you don't mind!

Old 09-21-2014, 10:23 PM

18 posts, read 29,617 times
Default Rockland: West Nyack or Tappan?

Looking to move, 400k range (tough, I know). 3 young kids, schools very important, but want nice community, good values, safe.
Interested in which districts have good music & arts programs?
I like the feel of Tappan, but, too small? What about Tappan Zee HS? Doesn't seem so great...
Any thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York