U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2013, 10:41 AM

420 posts, read 873,507 times

Advertisements

This past weekend I went up to Cold Springs for, what was supposed to be, a relaxing fall getaway from NYC....But returned to the city not very relaxed. Firstly getting off at the train and turning onto Main St the I saw the sidewalks were suprisingly a lot more crowded than I expected; traffic jams also which blocked a firetruck (with sirens blaring) from getting down the street; the very thing I was trying to get away from for a few days…

The crowds flowed into the “antiques” shop half of which seemed to be tourist traps. Many of the restaurants had Manhattan prices for lunch items ($13.95 for a sandwich??) and inside the cafes I popped into there were no open seats and lines of people worried they wouldn’t make the express train back to NYC. I settled on one where I thought I had an open seat when a woman came rushing over with her coffee to say “No- I’m sitting here!” and proceeded to stand next to her friend comparing how much rent they were paying in Park Slope while they decide which pastry to get for the next 10minutes. I almost wanted to turn around and head back at that point but stayed for the natural scenery. The Metro North back in was like the subway since there was standingroom only.

Anyone have any recommendations of places to get away in theHudson River Valley that haven't become too touristy? I feel Cold Spring was so crowded because it’s close enough to the city to make it relatively easy to get to via Metro North but far enough fromthe city to feel like you’re “getting away” (not far enough it seems though…)

I’m sure many people don’t want to share their secret spots forgetting away, which is understandable. There’s so many people who want to escape the city that many smallcharming towns nearby start getting too popular and covered by the media over the years and transform into mini versions of NYC onthe weekends thus losing their original charm. Sorry if it sounds like I'm complaining, maybe I would have had a better experience if I skipped Main Street and went hiking

Last edited by ehanson; 10-21-2013 at 11:03 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 08:57 PM

715 posts, read 2,279,560 times
Beacon, Rhinebeck, Red Hook, New Paltz, [Wassaic, Harlem Valley, Wingdale (really the Taconics and isolated if you like that)], perhaps Goshen, Bear Mountain and areas around West Point, Stony Point

Old 10-23-2013, 01:22 PM

7,126 posts, read 10,317,592 times
I would recommend Hudson but I do not recall how restaurant prices there compare with Manhattan. The best way to get there is to drive (Taconic) but I think you can also take Amtrak. Two of my favorite spots are the Verdigris chocolate bar (try the Angelina hot choco) and the bookstore that serves beer.

The downside is that while there are many restaurants there that serve good food, the service is not always as snappy as it is in Manhattan especially if there are a lot of people dining. One time, the server insisted that there was no more indoor seating when in fact the upstairs floor was open and barely occupied. After you sit, you have to chase down a server to take your order (nobody will check on you) or pay the cheque. Just remember to moderate your expectations if you go up there.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:45 PM

65,164 posts, read 90,928,570 times
How far are you willing to go?

Old 10-24-2013, 02:34 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,078 posts, read 45,635,312 times
I think it was because it was fall foliage season. I was there on a February weekend it was rather sleepy. I don't remember prices being that bad, but it's been a while.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:05 PM

65,164 posts, read 90,928,570 times
Perhaps Saugerties and Catskill could work too.

The Weekend Escape Plan - Saugerties -- New York Magazine

Welcome to Catskill, New York
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York