Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 09:04 PM

4 posts, read 33,757 times

Advertisements

Good morning,

My family and I are scheduled to relocate from Tokyo, Japan to NY around April - Jun '08. My younger son, aged 3 years and 4 months, is mildly autistic [diagnosed with PDD-NOS or atypical autism]

We are considering Rockland or Orange Counties as our first choices of residence. I'm aware that all public schools are required to accept kids with special needs but wanted to be sure of choosing a good location for him. Some open-ended questions coming to mind are:

- In general, how responsive are public schools to the needs of kids with special requirements?

- Is there anything I need to be particularly aware of e.g. state requirements for admitting my son in the public school?

- Are there other locations in NY e.g. Long Island or Westchester County that could be considered to be potentially a better alternative?

- Is there anything I could do to get a headstart with formalities prior to the relocation?

I'd deeply appreciate any responses - thank you for your time and patience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2007, 09:54 PM

505 posts, read 2,335,060 times
Most of the school districts up here in Orange and Rockland Counties are great, there are a few that are questionable. I however do not have any direct experience with any of their special needs programs. I will do some research for you over the weekend and will get back to you hopefully early next week with some answers. A friend of mine son is also autistic and when they were getting stationed here I know they put a lot of thought into where they were going to live. Now that they have new orders and are going to be leaving the area, they are doing the research again for a new area.

I will ask them if they have any good suggestions on what they've heard and get back to you.

If you have any other specific questions, let me know and I'll see what I can do for some answers.

Talk to you soon!

~Joey

Old 11-26-2007, 03:13 AM

4 posts, read 33,757 times
Much appreciated Joey, I'll wait for any information you may be able to come up with. Very grateful for your help.

Old 11-26-2007, 12:43 PM

302 posts, read 1,443,378 times
I can tell you Monroe and Goshen are very responsive to those children with special needs. Am sure most schools are.

Old 12-03-2007, 01:21 PM

505 posts, read 2,335,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denmak View Post
Good morning,

My family and I are scheduled to relocate from Tokyo, Japan to NY around April - Jun '08. My younger son, aged 3 years and 4 months, is mildly autistic [diagnosed with PDD-NOS or atypical autism]

We are considering Rockland or Orange Counties as our first choices of residence. I'm aware that all public schools are required to accept kids with special needs but wanted to be sure of choosing a good location for him. Some open-ended questions coming to mind are:

1- In general, how responsive are public schools to the needs of kids with special requirements?

2- Is there anything I need to be particularly aware of e.g. state requirements for admitting my son in the public school?

3- Are there other locations in NY e.g. Long Island or Westchester County that could be considered to be potentially a better alternative?

4- Is there anything I could do to get a headstart with formalities prior to the relocation?

I'd deeply appreciate any responses - thank you for your time and patience.
denmak-

Ok, sorry it took me so long to get a response back out to you, but I was playing phone tag for the last week with someone with a lot of answers for you. So for the answers....

1. The schools are very responsive to children with special requirements, in fact they are required by NYS law to be responsive. Everyone I spoke to (about 4-5 people) stated that how responsive to your childs needs they are depends on where you go.

2. There are a lot of specific requirements and they differ depending on what you are looking for. What everyone I spoke to said is that it would be best for you to make sure you bring a COMPLETE EVALUATION WITH RECOMMENDATIONS as to what your doctors are recommending (eg. speech therapy 1 time a week, twice a week, etc etc) and an INDIVIDUAL EDUCATION PLAN. They will still do an re-evaluation once you get here but from what I gather, if your child is already on a specific program they tend to try to keep with that for the most part.

3. I couldn't tell you if Long Island or Westchester would be a better alternative, but I do know that dollar for dollar, you will get a better quality of life in Orange County than you would in say Westchester or Long Island just based on home prices and taxes, but that's just my personal opinion.

4. In order to try and get a head start, I would recommend you doing several different things, as you will be able to get more specific info this way, vice getting it second hand from me. First, go to the NY VESID Autism Website as they have a wealth of knowledge there and they have several links that tell you what is available. Also, check out the Orange County Mental Health Association as they have a support group (which a good friend of mine said from personal experience is great) for parents of autistic children that meets once a week (I will PM you with a good contact with who runs the support group). Lastly, check out the NY State Education Department as they have a lot of information that will help you there as well.

Everyone I spoke to said that each specific situation is different, and each parent has different views on each of the local school districts' Special Education department because of what each parent views their childs needs are. The one common thing each person stated was that as long as the parents stay involved with the childs education and needs that most of the school districts are very good. They also mentioned that with your specific situation, you would probably want to stay away from Poughkeepsie, Newburgh, and Middletown School districts. As a Realtor I can't specifically guide you to a school district, but I can say that several people said that Monroe-Woodbury and Warwick in Orange County as well as Valley Cottage in Rockland County would be good places to start.

As I said, I will PM you with some names and contacts of direct peopl where you can probably get some more detailed info and get specific questions answered.

Let me know if this helps at all.

Best of luck,

~Joey

Old 04-21-2008, 03:20 PM

3 posts, read 22,557 times
I have a son with a dx of PDD as well and we recently attended a specialized summer camp in the area (Ramsey, NJ) that looks wonderful. We will be signing him up for the 2008 summer. The name of the camp is Camp Excel and the website is Camp Excel - A Specialized Summer Program for Children with ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder). It looks wonderful!

Old 04-24-2008, 12:53 PM

110 posts, read 496,424 times
I know Pearl River has an excellent program. I was very involved when my children where attending the school ( PTA etc). So I know first hand how good the program is.
You can google it and read for yourself. Email me if I can help you wit anything
Good luck!

Old 02-12-2009, 10:27 AM

59 posts, read 165,068 times
Does Orange County, NY have ABA therapy agencies for children with autism? What are the laws in New York regarding wraparound services or in-home ABA therapy? In Pennsylvania insurance companies are now required to pay for in-home ABA therapy for children.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:32 PM

995 posts, read 2,727,009 times
Check out a school called Inspire located in Goshen.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:00 PM

1 posts, read 9,821 times
i have a son which just turned 3 and i aged him out of e.i which he got intensive 1on1 therapy 20hrs of aba 3hrs speech 4hours ot and a sw 1z a week 4 an hour i fought the health dept bc they did ilegal stuff thats how i got approved so much service in E.I. (J)is now in CPSE N THERAPIST r having alot of behavioral issues with jayden(NOT 2 MENTION ME) which gets in the way of his learning he has alot of skills he goes 2 pre-k and all the theraist agree that he needs aba and play therapy but 2day i went to the cpse place n the supervisior said hes in a center base no more sevice r going to b approved the therapist made me some letter describing y jayden really needs aba again n play therapy help what do i do i live in manhattan,ny also r there any music therapy classes 4 free i can bring jayden bc it really calmns him down n thats where he actually uses language pls sum1 help!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York