Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 12:56 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,269,040 times

Advertisements

I know I can transfer anywhere in the county for the same or higher pay.

I've never heard of anyone getting more money just for living in NY.

Upstate of coarse. The city may throw statewide averages off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 01:25 PM

93,172 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
I know I can transfer anywhere in the county for the same or higher pay.

I've never heard of anyone getting more money just for living in NY.

Upstate of coarse. The city may throw statewide averages off.
Even when looking at average annual pay, many of the Upstate areas are on par with popular Southern areas and higher than most areas. I wish there was an updated list, but from the 2011 list I'm familiar with, that seems to be the case: Northern California enjoys nation's highest salaries - The Business Journals

Old 11-07-2013, 02:03 PM

On par is on paper. Factor in NYs taxes and at the end of the week in NY you have less money and nothing to show for it.

Plus I'm sure the above poster knows what they make and what they would make and has figgered out they can't afford the taxes.

Working people haven't been pouring out of this state for a generation cause they can't do simple math.

Old 11-07-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
On par is on paper. Factor in NYs taxes and at the end of the week in NY you have less money and nothing to show for it.

Plus I'm sure the above poster knows what they make and what they would make and has figgered out they can't afford the taxes.

Working people haven't been pouring out of this state for a generation cause they can't do simple math.
You get caught one way the other. Taxes may be lower, but you have other things to factor in as well. Yes, it may be on paper, but it still gives an idea or template of what things would be on average. NY's population has pretty much increased slowly and has varied depending on where you are even in Upstate NY.

Old 11-07-2013, 04:53 PM

Paper doesn't even begin to show the cost of living in NY.

First big hit is that income tax.

Then you get blasted by the property taxes. And if the house is cheaper then you lose the interest write off.

Then you get hit with the highest utility rates in the mainland USA. Then it hits you that in NY you need ALOT of utilities.

Then the sales tax kicks in.

Then the massive gas tax.

Then the toll roads.

On day to day items most things come from big box stores so we all pay the same. But in NY one has less coins left when Albany gets done. And it's all for nothing.

Old 11-07-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Paper doesn't even begin to show the cost of living in NY.

First big hit is that income tax.

Then you get blasted by the property taxes. And if the house is cheaper then you lose the interest write off.

Then you get hit with the highest utility rates in the mainland USA. Then it hits you that in NY you need ALOT of utilities.

Then the sales tax kicks in.

Then the massive gas tax.

Then the toll roads.

On day to day items most things come from big box stores so we all pay the same. But in NY one has less coins left when Albany gets done. And it's all for nothing.
Some of these things are higher in other states and you can avoid tolls, in many cases. These things also depend on where you are in the state. Again, looking at an overall cost of living will determine what you will pay and this can be done on a city vs. city, town vs. town and perhaps area vs. area basis.

Old 11-07-2013, 05:22 PM

You live like 20 miles from me. Are you seriously saying its cheaper??

I'll grant you places that have no jobs within a 100 miles gets pretty cheap but if your the type that still needs a job your gonna have to live in one of the bad area.

Hence the old joke....... wanna make a small fortune?? Move to NY with a large one.

Old 11-07-2013, 05:52 PM

Quote:
You live like 20 miles from me. Are you seriously saying its cheaper??

I'll grant you places that have no jobs within a 100 miles gets pretty cheap but if your the type that still needs a job your gonna have to live in one of the bad area.

Hence the old joke....... wanna make a small fortune?? Move to NY with a large one.
There are still some relatively affordable communities up here that are fine. Jobs and/or getting a job will depend on a variety of factors from availability, skills, education and even a willingness to obtain new skills/education.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:35 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,488,320 times
Hello and how is everyone doing? I am seeking employment in the medical field and currently am being offered a job in Auburn, NY, working at the hospital there. I am seeking Registry in my field and would work under a credential I already have, I'd just have to obtain the obligatory NY State license. Then I could start.

I've made the demand of finding my wife and I a house in the $700-$800 a month rent range before I'd consider signing on with them. Once I started, took the exam and passed it a raise would be given, which is customary.

Are my wife and I being unreasonable at this price point? Should we be considering something more in the $800-$1,000 a month range? We have two dogs and two cats so the house need not be new, or anywhere near new. We pretty much need a fenced back yard, though. 1 bedroom and 1 bathroom would work out fine for us.

Also, is this worry on this thread about crime a real concern to someone moving to Auburn? I mean, crime is everywhere these days. The area looks rather pretty to me and I've asked on another forum about being dumped on with snow. Yes to snow (not a deal-killer to us) but no to extreme frigid temperatures, due to Auburn being on one of the Great Lakes. That would make sense, but who knows more about the weather and the rents in the area that would like to add to the discussion? I would really be appreciative of all the input I could gather up. I have an offer for a similar job in Dodge City, KS, too, and I'm talking to a recruiter for a similar job in Las Vegas, NV, Nellis AFB, tomorrow afternoon. We'd like to give notice to our landlord by July 1st, 2015, of our intent to vacate their rental home.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Hello and how is everyone doing? I am seeking employment in the medical field and currently am being offered a job in Auburn, NY, working at the hospital there. I am seeking Registry in my field and would work under a credential I already have, I'd just have to obtain the obligatory NY State license. Then I could start.

I've made the demand of finding my wife and I a house in the $700-$800 a month rent range before I'd consider signing on with them. Once I started, took the exam and passed it a raise would be given, which is customary.

Are my wife and I being unreasonable at this price point? Should we be considering something more in the $800-$1,000 a month range? We have two dogs and two cats so the house need not be new, or anywhere near new. We pretty much need a fenced back yard, though. 1 bedroom and 1 bathroom would work out fine for us.

Also, is this worry on this thread about crime a real concern to someone moving to Auburn? I mean, crime is everywhere these days. The area looks rather pretty to me and I've asked on another forum about being dumped on with snow. Yes to snow (not a deal-killer to us) but no to extreme frigid temperatures, due to Auburn being on one of the Great Lakes. That would make sense, but who knows more about the weather and the rents in the area that would like to add to the discussion? I would really be appreciative of all the input I could gather up. I have an offer for a similar job in Dodge City, KS, too, and I'm talking to a recruiter for a similar job in Las Vegas, NV, Nellis AFB, tomorrow afternoon. We'd like to give notice to our landlord by July 1st, 2015, of our intent to vacate their rental home.
That rent range is reasonable for Auburn, considering that you can get a nice, big, older home for under 100k there.

Auburn's crime rate is low, but gets the reputation due to having a prison within city limits. Having been to the city many times, I have never felt unsafe anywhere in the city.

It is actually just north of Owasco Lake, which is a Finger Lake.

As for areas of the city to look in, the eastern half is historically the nicer, more white collar half. This especially the case for areas of the city to the southeast closer to the lake and towards Skaneateles(a relatively affluent community about 5 miles east of Auburn). It has a nice Downtown, with a lot of potential to be better and offers minor league baseball, live theater at Merry Go Round and the Auburn Public Theater, as well as an art museum in Schweinfurth Art Center. There are a few historic sites in/near the city and wineries aren't too far away.

As for the hospital, it has had a shaky reputation, but has also had issues getting/attracting talent. So, it appears to need as many talented people in the field as possible.

As for rentals, these may be worth a look: Logan Park Lofts | Maintenance Free Living | Auburn, NY

The Limestone | R&M Real Estate Group

Properties | R&M Real Estate Group

Home » Standart Woods Apartments

This also could help look for rentals: https://www.walkscore.com/apartments/search/NY/Auburn

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-24-2015 at 10:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York