U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 06:27 PM

2 posts, read 10,962 times

Advertisements

Hi

Am looking into upstate move and wondered what the top schools are within 3 hrs of nyc, looking to be 1 1/2-3 hrs away.

Academics are most important to us, also if they have gymnastics, football, art club computer club would be a plus.

If anyone knows a good site to look at that would help..... thanks ahead!!

So far I saw Latham, Niskayuna, and Delmar / Bethleham, but my husband wants a few acres so I don't think its the place for us. Nice cities but are like suburbs, all other top rated says near Syracuse and Buffalo, too far.... are the schools a kid go to matter for college or his SAT? I am not sure I had an art scholarship way back, my husband was in the service....

Last edited by lotus1111; 11-24-2007 at 07:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2007, 09:36 PM

5,265 posts, read 10,402,831 times
Best schools in Upstate NY are in the suburbs of Rochester and Buffalo; Albany too I guess. But those aren't the areas you are talking about.

Old 11-24-2007, 10:05 PM

2,357 posts, read 6,373,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Best schools in Upstate NY are in the suburbs of Rochester and Buffalo; Albany too I guess. But those aren't the areas you are talking about.
Fayetteville-Manlius and Skaneateles are both in the Top 50 in NYS and are in suburban Syracuse.

New York State Schools - NY School Rankings

Westhill, just outside Syracuse, is #9 in the "Highest Graduation Rates" for NYS.

New York Top 20 Districts - Highest Graduation Rates

Old 11-25-2007, 11:05 AM

5,265 posts, read 10,402,831 times
haha...i meant to say Sryacuse too. oops. Basically; the suburbs of all the major Upstate Cities (Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, and Albany) are where you will find the best schools.

Old 11-25-2007, 11:28 AM

266 posts, read 574,463 times
Look into Guilderland, Burnt Hills-Ballson Lake, Scotia-Glenville. All those areas you could have a home w/a couple of acres.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:11 AM

438 posts, read 1,045,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus1111 View Post
Hi

Am looking into upstate move and wondered what the top schools are within 3 hrs of nyc, looking to be 1 1/2-3 hrs away.

Academics are most important to us, also if they have gymnastics, football, art club computer club would be a plus.

If anyone knows a good site to look at that would help..... thanks ahead!!

So far I saw Latham, Niskayuna, and Delmar / Bethleham, but my husband wants a few acres so I don't think its the place for us. Nice cities but are like suburbs, all other top rated says near Syracuse and Buffalo, too far.... are the schools a kid go to matter for college or his SAT? I am not sure I had an art scholarship way back, my husband was in the service....
The Burnt Hills- Ballston Lake school district is excellent. We are located just north of Schenectady in the Capital Region. It takes us about 3 hours to drive to NYC. Though it is probably at the edge of your preferred area, the district is wonderful. Though we are close to Albany/Schenectady, it really doesn't feel suburban. In fact, there are many areas within the district where you can purchase acreage. A good site for evaluating school is greatschools.net.

Old 01-16-2008, 03:35 PM

148 posts, read 446,254 times
Heroin High (aka Frontier High School) in Hamburg NY

Old 01-16-2008, 07:46 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,927,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itSmellsBAD View Post
Heroin High (aka Frontier High School) in Hamburg NY
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZz

Old 01-16-2008, 07:47 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,927,258 times
Rochester suburbs has one of the top schools in the nation, namely Brighton with surrounding ones like HFL/Pittsford/Fairport running a close 2nd.....the private schools are top-notch too...

Old 01-18-2008, 01:58 PM

545 posts, read 1,294,301 times
"what the top schools are within 3 hrs of nyc, looking to be 1 1/2-3 hrs away."

"Rochester suburbs has one of the top schools in the nation, namely Brighton with surrounding ones like HFL/Pittsford/Fairport running a close 2nd.....the private schools are top-notch too..."

I suppose Rochester is 3 hours from NYC? lol....

Try Loudonville, Guilderland, Saratoga Springs, Woodstock, Rondout Valley. Just a wee bit closer....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York