Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2006, 12:18 PM

20 posts, read 164,711 times

Advertisements

Anybody from around Monroe New York? I currently live on Long Island and we're going to go up and look around. Monroe seems like a nice town and the houses are reasonable while my husband can still travel to queens. Any information on the area or surrounding areas?
Thanks!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2006, 01:11 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,901,566 times
Try doing a search in the NY form using the term, 'Monroe'. You should find quite a few posts while waiting for a reply. I know there is at least one Monroe person who visits here frequently.

Old 10-19-2006, 02:19 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,092,878 times
Monroe is a nice area. Safe and cheaper than where you are coming from. Good schools, close to the bus for the city or an easy drive to NYC. Generally most of the towns on Orange county do fight to keep the housing spaced apart a bit better, they do not want the place looking like southern NY. Though it has gotten a little more crowded post 9/11.

When people come up from NYC/LI I usually recommend they start looking in that area. Or Warwick area..

Old 10-20-2006, 03:55 AM

302 posts, read 1,443,378 times
Default Monroe is really pretty right now

did you get my e-mail? monroe has a website monroeny.org
there are MANY homes for sale right now. quite a few are new builts and a bit on the pricey side. some are remodeled older homes. at least the older homes have lower taxes. we have great schools

Old 10-20-2006, 10:23 AM

2,403 posts, read 5,239,342 times
Look at Sloatsburg. Closer to the city, easier commute and good home values.

Old 10-21-2006, 04:53 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,901,566 times
Sloatsburg is actually an interesting place. It's sandwiched right on the New Jersey border but it is more expensive than the Monroe area because of it. Sloatsburg does have good restaruants and a living downtown. My only problem with it, and Tuxedo, is that it's downstream from a superfund toxic waste site which has been cleaned-up and capped. That waste site is, however, right along the same river that passes through Sloatsburg. Make sure you test the water and the soil for anything before you move to where ever in Sloatsburg you go. Sloatsburg is also right next to what was a huge Ford plant which also has had toxic waste issues. I don't know of any existing issues, but check to make sure.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:44 PM

11 posts, read 69,384 times
Default We love it here.

Hello... have you come to visit us yet? Way different than Queens... I like it a lot better but, that is me! Still thinking of coming to live here? Moderator cut: realtor soliciting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Kids1Cat View Post
Anybody from around Monroe New York? I currently live on Long Island and we're going to go up and look around. Monroe seems like a nice town and the houses are reasonable while my husband can still travel to queens. Any information on the area or surrounding areas?
Thanks!!!!

Last edited by bellafinzi; 10-10-2007 at 08:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York