Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2014, 03:13 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'm thinking more in terms of built environment in regards to the amount of driving. Many people live in or near walkable villages and small cities, as well as some walkable parts of towns like the 12 Corners of Brighton and the DeWittshire/Orvilton area of DeWitt.
Five dollars says they are in their cars to travel to the nearest big box / shopping area at least once a week....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 04:25 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Some upstate NY cities have high crime areas probably of a similar crime rate but with a much lower density. I doubt the density affects the crime rate much.
Because there's more people in Brownsville than a town in upstate NY, the sheer number of murders is higher in Brownsville due to the density. Would you really want to hang out in a dense area with a high crime rate? I know I don't.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:
That's wrong. A slight majority of households do not own cars, and about 23% of workers drive to work. Many households only have one car per household, meaning the other member of the household sometimes doesn't have access to a car. And many have a car just for getting out of town, not for most local trips. Here's the number of cars / person I calculated:

As for wealthier people driving, first you're confusing owning cars with driving. Few people would drive into Manhattan even if they own a car. Most younger people (say in their 20s) are not driving most of the time or even owning a car even if they have a high income. Location plays a bigger role than wealth.

Edit: found stats

https://www.cbsoutdoor.com/Tools/Res.../Documents/NYC R2-2012 Bus Rider Profile.pdf
Why do you assume all people work in Manhattan? And yes, I've know people who drive into Manhattan itself. Teachers get free parking at the schools. Ditto police officers, firemen, doctors, etc.

People who are contractors, like painters, electricians, plumbers, etc., certainly don't carry all that equipment using public transportation.

And as there are plenty of people who work in a variety of jobs in the outer boroughs (hospitals, schools, cops, firemen, airports, shipping, etc.) these people generally drive to work as parking isn't that tight in the outer boroughs.

A big percentage of people in NYC drive at least part of the time.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:04 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Five dollars says they are in their cars to travel to the nearest big box / shopping area at least once a week....
It would depend on the city or village, as well as public transportation options. There may be other things that they could do without driving in those communities as well. http://uspirg.org/sites/pirg/files/r...oad_USPIRG.pdf

Old 01-13-2014, 05:44 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,824,550 times
Quote:
It would depend on the city or village, as well as public transportation options. There may be other things that they could do without driving in those communities as well. http://uspirg.org/sites/pirg/files/r...oad_USPIRG.pdf
The 6,562 miles driven per capita in NY is only low due to the heavy skew from NYC. Without NYC, NY would be inline with other similar sized states like PA or VA. Of course, states like Alabama and Wyoming which are so rural and spread out have higher miles. I don't think they're any more sprawled out than Upstate NY.

I think most big box stores and chain restaurants do demographic studies and saturate the area with as much as their store is predicted to serve. Whether we like it or not, if there is a significant population of people, Walmart is putting a damn store in. Same with Target, Best Buy, Staples, etc. I don't think they look at a city like Syracuse and not decide to build there because Syracuse has an urban core.

http://www.smartgrowthamerica.org/do...stersprawl.pdf

http://www.smartgrowthamerica.org/do...cusesprawl.pdf

Old 01-13-2014, 06:45 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
The 6,562 miles driven per capita in NY is only low due to the heavy skew from NYC. Without NYC, NY would be inline with other similar sized states like PA or VA. Of course, states like Alabama and Wyoming which are so rural and spread out have higher miles. I don't think they're any more sprawled out than Upstate NY.

I think most big box stores and chain restaurants do demographic studies and saturate the area with as much as their store is predicted to serve. Whether we like it or not, if there is a significant population of people, Walmart is putting a damn store in. Same with Target, Best Buy, Staples, etc. I don't think they look at a city like Syracuse and not decide to build there because Syracuse has an urban core.

http://www.smartgrowthamerica.org/do...stersprawl.pdf

http://www.smartgrowthamerica.org/do...cusesprawl.pdf
Even with NYC taken out, it would most likely still be less than those states. Michigan, which is very car dependent, for obvious reasons, was still lower. Due to being familiar with that state, it has sprawl, but not necessarily to the same degree. Alaska was 1st and driving went down in many states, according to the study.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Even with NYC taken out, it would most likely still be less than those states. Michigan, which is very car dependent, for obvious reasons, was still lower. Due to being familiar with that state, it has sprawl, but not necessarily to the same degree. Alaska was 1st and driving went down in many states, according to the study.
This is crap.

Nobody takes public transportation to the store in any of the finger lakes. You have to DRIVE to go to the grocery stores, Wegmans, Super Walmart, etc. The rest of upstate is like that as well.

Nobody, I repeat, nobody realizes uses public transportation in upstate NY. NY state only keeps buses and inter city bus service because of the college students. When they ride the bus, especially go to home for breaks or to come to class, its FULL. When they are not riding the bus, its nearly EMPTY.

Upstate NY is nearly rural, and none of the rural areas have direct Greyhound or even bus service to people's HOMES!!! People have to DRIVE INTO the town itself!!!

As for driving going down in many states, yes and no. People that I know who lived in most of the country, as gas prices went high had to be a bit more conservative about their trips by car. But they still travel by car.

And this is where this subject gets silly. Public transportation=good, automobile=bad, most of the country=bad, New York=good, New York=Public transportation, even though all of the above are not TRUE.

Most Americans, including most people in the state of NY, drive. Not just upstate NY, but most people in NYC's suburb's drive. Even a good number of people in NYC do, especially further out in the outer boroughs. No amount of leftist politics will change that.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:11 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post

Nobody takes public transportation to the store in any of the finger lakes. You have to DRIVE to go to the grocery stores, Wegmans, Super Walmart, etc. The rest of upstate is like that as well.
Well if you live in Ithaca and are going to Ithaca Commons, if you're living nearby it's likely you'd walk. And some would take the bus. Most other spots upstate or to normal shopping areas? Yes, they'd drive but there are a few town center districts that get pedestrians. But I agree the vast majority drives. A lot of new construction in upstate NY is in large lots, adding to the spread-out ness, so driving distances might rather high for some.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:12 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Why do you assume all people work in Manhattan? And yes, I've know people who drive into Manhattan itself. Teachers get free parking at the schools. Ditto police officers, firemen, doctors, etc.

People who are contractors, like painters, electricians, plumbers, etc., certainly don't carry all that equipment using public transportation.

And as there are plenty of people who work in a variety of jobs in the outer boroughs (hospitals, schools, cops, firemen, airports, shipping, etc.) these people generally drive to work as parking isn't that tight in the outer boroughs.

A big percentage of people in NYC drive at least part of the time.
I didn't assume all people work in Manhattan, though they are a large chunk of city workers, and most of them (I think 86%, but I'd have to check) don't drive to work, with income not much of a factor. My main point was that plenty of well-off people don't drive most of the time (see the stats I posted), and some don't even own cars.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:09 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,318,080 times
Quote:
(I think 86%, but I'd have to check)
I'm 86% sure that's made up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York