Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 07:27 PM

245 posts, read 430,207 times

Advertisements

I think Upstate is horrible for small businesses. The taxes, regulations, and policies are so outrageous that this whole Start-Up NY absolute BS had to be introduced to completely exempt new businesses from state taxes for their first 10 years of operation.

This is a huge smack in the face to the small businesses that have already been operating in the state and bringing in revenue for decades, yet are currently struggling and most of the time failing to stay afloat as a result of state taxes and restrictions out the wazoo. And with such a failing, desolate, and corrupt economic climate upstate, it's no wonder they have to pull crap like this to even get businesses to consider moving upstate.

On top of that, what's to stop businesses from completely pulling out and leaving once those 10 tax-free years are up? That happened in Schenectady to the downtown district's revitalization project. Instead of garbage economic practices like that, lawmakers should be examining the root problems that make upstate a horrible environment for small businesses. Puny little band-aid temporary fixes like this are exactly what is wrong with this state government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 07:05 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,882,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsauce711 View Post
I think Upstate is horrible for small businesses. The taxes, regulations, and policies are so outrageous that this whole Start-Up NY absolute BS had to be introduced to completely exempt new businesses from state taxes for their first 10 years of operation.

This is a huge smack in the face to the small businesses that have already been operating in the state and bringing in revenue for decades, yet are currently struggling and most of the time failing to stay afloat as a result of state taxes and restrictions out the wazoo. And with such a failing, desolate, and corrupt economic climate upstate, it's no wonder they have to pull crap like this to even get businesses to consider moving upstate.

On top of that, what's to stop businesses from completely pulling out and leaving once those 10 tax-free years are up? That happened in Schenectady to the downtown district's revitalization project. Instead of garbage economic practices like that, lawmakers should be examining the root problems that make upstate a horrible environment for small businesses. Puny little band-aid temporary fixes like this are exactly what is wrong with this state government.
It's what I'll call fake liberalism. Cuomo will gleefully allow gay marriage. Meanwhile, in NYC it costs $1,000 to rent a room and many gay bars can no longer afford to operate and have gone out of business (as many gays were priced out of Manhattan and had to move to wherever).

Start-Up NY is similar. Let's give the few new businesses interested in starting in NY and not take them for 10 years, while not doing tax reform on existing businesses and not solving issues like excessive bureaucracy and excessive fees businesses must pay in order to get licenses and permits.

Old 01-04-2014, 12:40 PM

77 posts, read 133,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coinnle Corra View Post
I always read how business unfriendly California and NYC are, yet California has the 12th largest economy in the world and NYC is the second largest regional economy in the world.

You got to keep in mind that California and NYC have unique traits that you can't find in other parts of the country. California, to many, has one of the best climates in the world, spectacular scenery, and many great cities. NYC is a world-class city offering top notch urban amenities, in which this is very attractive for young people living preferring to live in cities today. I'm sure there many people from San Diego or Manhattan who would never even think about moving to Indiana.

In my viewpoint, you have to live where you're happy and where you can do well whether it's Detroit, Indiana, NYC, Florida, or San Francisco. Living in a more business friendly state or region with low taxes isn't going to magically improve your quality of life and guarantee happiness.
Bingo. I could give myself a 10 percent salary increase tomorrow simply by moving back to my home state of Florida, but that's not going to happen for a list of reasons too large to produce here.

This notion that people and firms choose where to locate solely based on tax rates has to be one of the longest-running pieces of malarkey out there. It deserves sorely to be retired. If taxation and regulation were the only factors driving these decisions, states like New York and California would be barren wastelands, and most of our societal wealth would sit in places like Mississippi and Oklahoma.

Old 01-04-2014, 05:43 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,439,781 times
These generalizations are always wrong. NYC is very different from upstate. Business? what the renting of a studio has to do with starting a new business? If you are a comedian or entertainer of any sort, what will you do in Indiana or Nebraska? If you are aspiring fashion designer, who will you talk to in Wyoming? And if you want to become a consultant for wall street, should you choose North Dakota?
And even with astronomical NYC taxes and rent, some stores are far better in the East Village (with a huge turnaround) than in Iowa's villages.
When considering any new business or investment, all factors should be weighted.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK10019 View Post
Bingo. I could give myself a 10 percent salary increase tomorrow simply by moving back to my home state of Florida, but that's not going to happen for a list of reasons too large to produce here.

This notion that people and firms choose where to locate solely based on tax rates has to be one of the longest-running pieces of malarkey out there. It deserves sorely to be retired. If taxation and regulation were the only factors driving these decisions, states like New York and California would be barren wastelands, and most of our societal wealth would sit in places like Mississippi and Oklahoma.
Good points. Certain types of businesses and companies require certain types of infrastructure, communities/large scale local talent base available, partnerships with universities,etc.

Manufacturers are often not as interested in some of this (though they do require infrastructure). But tech companies tend to want to be near major research universities and near major airports and certain other advantanges. States like Nebraska and Mississippi could eliminate all taxes and they will never get companies like Google or JP Morgan Chase to move their headquarters there. New York City has one of the nation's biggest ports, a reason (among others) on why its a center of commerce.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
These generalizations are always wrong. NYC is very different from upstate. Business? what the renting of a studio has to do with starting a new business? If you are a comedian or entertainer of any sort, what will you do in Indiana or Nebraska? If you are aspiring fashion designer, who will you talk to in Wyoming? And if you want to become a consultant for wall street, should you choose North Dakota?
And even with astronomical NYC taxes and rent, some stores are far better in the East Village (with a huge turnaround) than in Iowa's villages.
When considering any new business or investment, all factors should be weighted.
There are comedians and entertainers who film themselves or their productions in IOWA, put it on YouTube or otherwise online and end up making lots of money. Some even become big enough to go NY or Hollywood.

NYC is a convenient place to meet up for business and always will be. Take independent film. Current technology makes it possible for independent film to be written and produced ANYWHERE. Someone who lives wherever but gets a film into Tribeca Film Festival or gets distributed by Tribeca will have their career taken to an all new level.

Depending on what the Wall Street consultant does, since a lot of work can be done at home, he could potentially live in North Dakota. He'd need connections to the NYC financial community.

I agree all factors need to be considered, but these days its not about taxes versus low taxes. Money is mobile. You could do business as a fashion person or Wall Street person in NYC, and maintain a North Dakota residence where you spend enough time to avoid paying NYC taxes.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:26 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,303,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I agree all factors need to be considered, but these days its not about taxes versus low taxes. Money is mobile. You could do business as a fashion person or Wall Street person in NYC, and maintain a North Dakota residence where you spend enough time to avoid paying NYC taxes.
Enjoy, I'll choose a career that firmly plants me in a place I'd like to live: mostly warm and sunny. Enjoy your cold and wintry weather. Very glad SC rejected aid to Sandy-ridden areas of NY. That's what you get for being naive a**holes. Cuomo can die in an accident. He is a retarded version of a liberal governor.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:09 AM

92,609 posts, read 122,930,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Enjoy, I'll choose a career that firmly plants me in a place I'd like to live: mostly warm and sunny. Enjoy your cold and wintry weather. Very glad SC rejected aid to Sandy-ridden areas of NY. That's what you get for being naive a**holes. Cuomo can die in an accident. He is a retarded version of a liberal governor.
You do realize that SC gets cold in the winter too, right? I already showed that the Pee Dee/Grand Strand area of SC gets snow occasionally. Highs for Tuesday and Wednesday are in the 30's and 40's around there.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:22 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,846,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You do realize that SC gets cold in the winter too, right? I already showed that the Pee Dee/Grand Strand area of SC gets snow occasionally. Highs for Tuesday and Wednesday are in the 30's and 40's around there.
SC is only cold for a short period of time, and its mostly at night, they really don't feel cold like we do in NYS. The attitude that comes across in the post is very common though.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:44 PM

92,609 posts, read 122,930,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
SC is only cold for a short period of time, and its mostly at night, they really don't feel cold like we do in NYS. The attitude that comes across in the post is very common though.
I did say that it gets as cold as NY. My point is that it isn't beach weather into the winter and it can snow. My mother is from SC originally(Marion County) and it is 30 degrees right now. So, this isn't stated to knock SC.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-07-2014 at 01:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York