Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2006, 05:35 PM

675 posts, read 2,676,400 times

Advertisements

Hello. Can anyone out there tell me about Stony Point? My husband travels there alot on business, and it may be in his best interest for us to relocate there. We currently live in a suburb of Boston, and have 2 young children. Thanks in advance for any info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2006, 12:19 PM

2 posts, read 25,806 times
Default Stony Point

Hi, which Stony Point? I think there are a few of them in NY. Is it the one in Rockland County? If so, Stony Point is a great little area to live. Pretty expensive, but it's nice. I've lived a town away my whole life and I like it.

Old 11-16-2008, 09:12 PM

50 posts, read 147,435 times
Although Rockland County as a whole is more expensive, you'll find Stony Point is a little more expensive than most areas, excluding (New City.) A lot of people compain that the school system is terrible in North Rockland and the taxes are too high for what you get. A lot of those same people moved down south and most are coming back. Stony Point has higher taxes no doubt. But the crime rate in Stony Point is about 1%. I made the mistake of moving to Charlotte, and I cannot stand it. Stony Point has a LOT of perks. The major one is being close to NYC, it cuts the commute time. As I stated before the crime rate is very low. If you have kids i'd reccomend Farley Middle School over Willow Grove. I will have to admit that North Rockland High School, isn't a very good high school, there IS a high drop out rate and a LOT of drugs. If you have teenagers... Possibly you should look into Clarkstown. Anywhere in Rockland is a beautiful area, and you will love it there. If you need any information on Rockland, feel free to PM me, i'd be more than happy to help you!!

Old 11-18-2008, 10:31 AM

701 posts, read 3,312,027 times
As Nirvana mentioned, if you are considering relocating to Stony Point, you can consider all of Rockland County. All these towns are very close to each other. Stony Point is a nice area, but North Rockland Schools have some critics.
But within a 10 minute drive of Stony Point, you can look in Clarkstown which has very prestigous schools. (You would be looking at the Villages of New City and Congers primarily).

As some have said, Rockland County is expensive-- But that's a relative term. For example, it's much cheaper than Westchester County. If you live in an affluent Boston suburb, I doubt prices in Rockland will give you major sticker shock.

Overall though, you will find plenty of very good schools in the county. A diverse population. Fairly low crime. Lots of shopping and parks.
The problem with Rockland County is the location for many of the people. Many jobs in Rockland County, don't pay enough to live well in Rockland County. Meanwhile, people commuting to good jobs in New York City, find Rockland County a difficult commute to the City.
But if your family has a job in Rockland County that pays enough to live well in the County, then it really can be a fine place to raise a family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York