Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 12:56 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,831,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
NyWriterdude, interesting perspective! I've never encountered anything like that anywhere I've ever been, including many places in the south and midwest. For people to behave like that, the area must be pretty rough?
Well, yes it is a bit rough. There's a lot of poverty there too. The job market within Cortland itself is definitely poor, outside government and social services organizations (and SUNY Cortland). Many people in Cortland drive to Syracuse, Ithaca, or Binghamton to work.

I wouldn't say all of Cortland is rough, keep in mind any area is going to have bad areas and good areas.

Do let us know if you move to Central New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 01:09 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,348,549 times
Very interesting to me that given these places are 35 minutes apart and with small populations that they could be so different. In many areas of the country, I'd consider two places that close to be one in the same geographically and culturally. Guess I'll have to experience it for myself!

NyWriterdude, where are you located now?

Old 01-18-2014, 06:54 AM

92,144 posts, read 122,355,529 times
There are companies like Pall and Marietta off the top of my head, along with maybe some smaller manufacturing in the immediate Cortland area. Intertek is another in the area. Some that work in Ithaca live in outer counties due to affordability and Cortland County is in the Ithaca CSA.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-18-2014 at 07:09 AM..

Old 01-18-2014, 08:08 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,251,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Very interesting to me that given these places are 35 minutes apart and with small populations that they could be so different. In many areas of the country, I'd consider two places that close to be one in the same geographically and culturally. Guess I'll have to experience it for myself!

NyWriterdude, where are you located now?

Ithaca is a strange bird here or anywhere else. It has three colleges and the kids outnumber the residents. With most of the residents involved with either the schools, government or the job that support the people who support the schools it full of people completely disconnected from the real world.

The real world starts back up about 80 feet from the city line.

I live in an extremely impoverished area myself. Boarded up houses and meth addicts are what surround me everyday. So I consider myself all hardcore. But when I go through Cortland and anywhere near Ithaca but outside the city even I am appalled by how poor and run down that area is.

Pretty area though.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:12 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,348,549 times
Sean, interesting perspective. Would you consider the area 'rust belt' in nature? I've never given upstate NY a thought before people started suggesting it as a better value than New England, but I've found quite a bit of affordable real estate and the cost of living from what I've researched does seem quite a bit lower. I still have this image in my head of what I think an upstate city must be like with abandoned factories and quite blue-collar.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Ithaca is a strange bird here or anywhere else. It has three colleges and the kids outnumber the residents. With most of the residents involved with either the schools, government or the job that support the people who support the schools it full of people completely disconnected from the real world.

The real world starts back up about 80 feet from the city line.

I live in an extremely impoverished area myself. Boarded up houses and meth addicts are what surround me everyday. So I consider myself all hardcore. But when I go through Cortland and anywhere near Ithaca but outside the city even I am appalled by how poor and run down that area is.

Pretty area though.
While there may be some poverty, it isn't the Mississippi Delta.

OP, it is possible to live in a fine area of Cortland, as there are parts of it that are absolutely fine. In terms of the eventual rural move, I suggested that area due to the open land and I've met people that live in that area that were fine. It also puts you in a location to visit Syracuse and Binghamton along with Ithaca. All 3 have cultural events/festivals, Korean restaurants/Asian markets, LGBT groups and more. With this said and as mentioned, Tompkins County outside of Ithaca is pretty rural too.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:43 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,227,097 times
The area is like any other area. There is incredible wealth and incredible poverty, and just your basic middle class areas.

Drive through Cayuga Heights (adjacent to Ithaca) or Skaneateles (near Syracuse) to see the wealth. Drive through Lansing (just outside Ithaca) to see a typical middle class suburb. Drive through certain parts of Ithaca or Cortland to see poverty. Drive through parts of Syracuse to see the ghetto.

There is too much analysis here. You are looking at a huge geographic area. Anyone can find a community and neighborhood where they are comfortable.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
The area is like any other area. There is incredible wealth and incredible poverty, and just your basic middle class areas.

Drive through Cayuga Heights (adjacent to Ithaca) or Skaneateles (near Syracuse) to see the wealth. Drive through Lansing (just outside Ithaca) to see a typical middle class suburb. Drive through certain parts of Ithaca or Cortland to see poverty. Drive through parts of Syracuse to see the ghetto.

There is too much analysis here. You are looking at a huge geographic area. Anyone can find a community and neighborhood where they are comfortable.
^This and what I've gathered from the OP, they just want a small town/city where they can be fine, find employment and later find a place with more space. It really looks like they have many options, as long as they are open to them. You can even find a small town/rural place in a more populated metro that could fit the criteria too.

Old 01-18-2014, 04:13 PM

This could help too: Washington: A world apart | The Washington Post

Old 01-21-2014, 02:46 PM

40 posts, read 47,774 times
My husband and I were born and raised in Oswego County. Do not go near there. That being said, in 1996 we moved to Jacksonville FL and in November of 2013 we wanted to be closer to our families without moving to Oswego so we chose Ithaca after doing a lot of research. I was familiar with the Finger Lakes since I had a childhood friend whose family owned half of Keuka Lake, but having visited Ithaca only one time with my son and his husband in 2009, I thought if we ever moved back, that would be a good place for us - and it is. We purchased a new manufactured home, and if you'd like more of my story, you can look for a thread started by JaxLiving and posted with thread title: thinking of moving to Ithaca - are we crazy? I updated the post after moving and there are several comments by me on it with my new forum name. It is said that Ithaca is 15 square miles surrounded by reality and I believe it. The scenery is gorgeous - to me even in winter. Cornell University and Ithaca College offer a plethora of activities and there's always something going on. We live in a park about 3 miles uphill from the City and pass several farms on our way to and from, and have quickly learned our way around.

My husband works from home for his FL company and I'm retired but have a few small computer jobs, so we are able to adjust to our new snowy surroundings (we grew up in a much snowier area) and the cold gradually without being forced to go out in it. My husband has joined a gym a few miles away partly so he can get out of the house as this is all new for him (and for me). The biggest adjustment has been all the clothing one must wear here as opposed to FL where throwing on shorts and a t-shirt was all that was needed most of the time. I purchased long underwear before we left FL - LOL!

My grandson and his girlfriend live in Cortland but work in Ithaca. Ithaca has the lowest unemployment rate in the state and the population is 18% Asian. I have a ton of links bookmarked and would be happy to share. I am available most of the time and if you'd like to pm me, please do so. You can also go to Facebook and "like" Laurel Guy's page. She is a local Realtor and posts things to do in Ithaca - something new every day for 365 days. Ironically she started that just as we moved to the area. Good luck and please keep us updated. If you do move here, be sure and let me know - we have recently done all the stuff needed for a new location and I could help familiarize you with what you need for DMV, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York