Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2014, 08:44 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,940,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You might something like this:
http://goo.gl/maps/Bbf68

Or this:http://goo.gl/maps/HYwTZ

In the Buffalo area, Kennore would probably work, but it may be a little bit too dense.
Those examples are perfect. I'd be happy living in something like those. And wow....Syracuse seems to look much nicer than Buffalo. I like the subtle hills and deciduous forest. Just like in CT. On Google Street View, for some reason, most of the Buffalo area looks like the grass is yellow and dried out. Does it always look like that? I mean, that's depressing if it is. I like GREEN!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 10:05 PM

Also....in all seriousness....I don't see how I can move to any of these areas with no job secured. Moving with no job is risky, as I have limited savings. And I know nobody in any of those cities that I could live with. Also, when I search for tax jobs, there's only like one job in each city that I actually am qualified for. Remember, I am specifically looking for a tax accounting job that's not a CPA/public accounting job. My career is rather specialized in that regard, so it would be a miracle if I landed a general accounting job. However, I do believe that if I moved there with no job, I would eventually get one that pays close to $60K, which is good enough. But of course, it's still very risky, and quite frankly irresponsible to be doing that. It just doesn't look good to potential employers either. Yet, if I applied for jobs from all the way down here, they'd probably disregard my resume since I'm not a local candidate. It's like.........how the hell does one go about doing this?!?!?!

Old 01-24-2014, 05:48 AM

93,237 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Also....in all seriousness....I don't see how I can move to any of these areas with no job secured. Moving with no job is risky, as I have limited savings. And I know nobody in any of those cities that I could live with. Also, when I search for tax jobs, there's only like one job in each city that I actually am qualified for. Remember, I am specifically looking for a tax accounting job that's not a CPA/public accounting job. My career is rather specialized in that regard, so it would be a miracle if I landed a general accounting job. However, I do believe that if I moved there with no job, I would eventually get one that pays close to $60K, which is good enough. But of course, it's still very risky, and quite frankly irresponsible to be doing that. It just doesn't look good to potential employers either. Yet, if I applied for jobs from all the way down here, they'd probably disregard my resume since I'm not a local candidate. It's like.........how the hell does one go about doing this?!?!?!
You may find a position that is similar or involve aspects of what you do currently. So, if you are serious about the move, it may be worth a look.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:08 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,822,564 times
Quote:
The same could be said for every single place you're looking at. If you really want to move, be creative and have some guts. Get a PO Box. Get a Google voice number with a local area code. Move to the area and live in an extended stay hotel. Typically, you can use the address of the extended stay hotel and receive mail there (although few, if any, places use snail mail when responding to a job inquiry). I did all these things when I moved to NC. You have significant savings that could support you for months, if not a year or more. A budget extended stay hotel is not much more than the rent in the surrounding area. My hunch is the Syracuse area might be $1000 - 1200 a month for a bare bones extended stay.

Sell your car and buy a Prius if your car gets bad gas mileage. I did. Get rid of expensive smartphone plans and get a basic flip phone and pay-as-you-go for $25 a month. Again, I did this too. Eat ramen and rice and beans. If you're serious, and not just wasting peoples time and your own time, you can easily move someplace. Forget about the norms and what people say about moving with a job. Sometimes you can't. If you have no kids, no house, and no spouse, you just cowboy up and make it happen.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
The same could be said for every single place you're looking at. If you really want to move, be creative and have some guts. Get a PO Box. Get a Google voice number with a local area code. Move to the area and live in an extended stay hotel. Typically, you can use the address of the extended stay hotel and receive mail there (although few, if any, places use snail mail when responding to a job inquiry). I did all these things when I moved to NC. You have significant savings that could support you for months, if not a year or more. A budget extended stay hotel is not much more than the rent in the surrounding area. My hunch is the Syracuse area might be $1000 - 1200 a month for a bare bones extended stay.

Sell your car and buy a Prius if your car gets bad gas mileage. I did. Get rid of expensive smartphone plans and get a basic flip phone and pay-as-you-go for $25 a month. Again, I did this too. Eat ramen and rice and beans. If you're serious, and not just wasting peoples time and your own time, you can easily move someplace. Forget about the norms and what people say about moving with a job. Sometimes you can't. If you have no kids, no house, and no spouse, you just cowboy up and make it happen.
Are you kidding? Who does that? If I use a hotel address, employers are going to think, "what the heck is going on with this guy?" And I looked into the idea of using a PO Box as an address and it turns out that that's a turn off to employers as well. They want to see a physical address, preferable local.

By the time I would be able to make the move, I would have about $45,000 in cash (if I move this summer). But if I wait until mid 2015, I would have about $60,000 saved up. I don't know man....that still doesn't seem like enough to move somewhere with no job.

I am single and will be 30 years old (or 31 if I move in 2015) and have no dependents. My car is also paid off and is only 6 years old. I have zero debt and about one medium sized UHAUL truck's worth of personal property.

Now what do you think?

Old 01-24-2014, 08:06 AM

93,237 posts, read 123,842,121 times
This is a Rochester neighborhood you may like too: Upper Monroe Neighborhood Association | UMNA

Upper Monroe - Rochester Wiki

https://maps.gstatic.com/m/streetvie...435037665,,0,0

Old 01-24-2014, 08:13 AM

286 posts, read 1,118,372 times
Quote:
Now what do you think?
I think you want clear answers and zero risk in a situation that is inherently murky and risky. I think that literally the only thing you don't like about CT is the house prices, in which case your choices are to either choose long-term renting or to choose a place where you can buy a house but where other things are imperfect. (Surprise! Every place is imperfect.) I think you expect us to have a crystal ball and show you a path that will allow you to be completely satisfied with your choices 5 years from now.

Some people get jobs from out of town. Some people get jobs while living in extended-stay hotels. Some people take the full plunge. Some people stay close to family. Some people move halfway across the world from them on a whim. Some people regret their choices. Some people are thrilled with them.

Part of being a grownup involves closing off certain doors of potential. It's okay to close a door.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:23 AM

286 posts, read 1,118,372 times
Quote:
Can someone please explain to me why Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse are seemingly Midwestern rather than New England-like?
I think a lot of it is the geography that you've already noted. Along that corridor, it gets flatter the farther west you go. I've lived in the Midwest and somewhere around Rochester it starts to look like the slightly-rolling flatness of Wisconsin. It's also the sharper variations in population density. It's also the fact that farming is much more of a going concern in WNY and the Midwest compared to the more heavily urbanized New England. I think it also has to do with the fact that those interior cities "came of age" around the same time as many midwestern cities did. It's railroads and the industrial revolution that got them going, as opposed to trade with Europe which supported New England. The architecture and urban design hold with that. Boston is laid out like a European city, Buffalo is classic American (I have a hard time making comparisons to Hartford; it's home and I can never look at it objectively.)

Old 01-24-2014, 08:24 AM

350 posts, read 1,090,533 times
Quote:
Those examples are perfect. I'd be happy living in something like those. And wow....Syracuse seems to look much nicer than Buffalo. I like the subtle hills and deciduous forest. Just like in CT. On Google Street View, for some reason, most of the Buffalo area looks like the grass is yellow and dried out. Does it always look like that? I mean, that's depressing if it is. I like GREEN!
Hmmm... there are plenty of hills/woods outside of Buffalo ... the Boston hills area south of Chestnut Ridge park is beautiful in this way. And the comment re greener grass in Syracuse - seriously? These cities are basically on the same latitude, have similar weather and only 150 miles apart! The grass that grows in Syracuse is not much different from the grass that grows in Buffalo...

Old 01-24-2014, 08:51 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,080,738 times
Quote:
Are you kidding? Who does that? If I use a hotel address, employers are going to think, "what the heck is going on with this guy?" And I looked into the idea of using a PO Box as an address and it turns out that that's a turn off to employers as well. They want to see a physical address, preferable local.

By the time I would be able to make the move, I would have about $45,000 in cash (if I move this summer). But if I wait until mid 2015, I would have about $60,000 saved up. I don't know man....that still doesn't seem like enough to move somewhere with no job.

I am single and will be 30 years old (or 31 if I move in 2015) and have no dependents. My car is also paid off and is only 6 years old. I have zero debt and about one medium sized UHAUL truck's worth of personal property.

Now what do you think?
Go and get off the pot!

I have been reading all the posts and wondering who the OP was. First where is it written that you deserve to buy a house? You work, you have a right to get decent housing but if you current location costs too much then consider a smaller place, maybe one that needs work and earn some sweat equity. Second your original post read like a dating website, I'm surprised you didn't ask what beer people drink...or maybe you did. Pick a location that looks good, send resume's include some line in the cover letter that you have a desire to relocate at your expense this will cue them that you are not looking for relocation expenses. Sell yourself!

No move is perfect and they all have their ups and downs if you want a change make it happen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York