U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 01:02 PM

213 posts, read 877,563 times

Advertisements

and as far as my electric bill...... being a single parent in Ny, ALWAYS had a problem w/heating bills, sadly I had been shut off more then once. I have NEVER had that problem down here. The truth is that most days other then in Dec Jan & Feb, windows are open. During the hot months they're open in the am and usually again at night.
I was home in March to bury my father. And while NY was hitting its low of 18 with wind chill of 9 and all sorts of snow all around, called home to NC and they were outside on the porch with windows open.
Talked to brother today, ice (and yes worrying about pipes freezing) Me,..... close to 60.
Different strokes for different folks.... I like the heat, and I don't believe I exaggerate about 6-8 months of cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 01:06 PM

213 posts, read 877,563 times
i disagree with that too......im up at 5 and down at 11 and the lows are pretty much what i wake up too and approching again when i go to sleep too

Old 12-03-2007, 01:27 PM

3,235 posts, read 5,149,611 times
-Most people do not have that schedule so it does not effect them.
-Your tiny area does not represent an entire region.
-Your problems with getting utilities shut off do not represent most people
-It cools down in southern states also during those hours. When I worked in Virginia I had to throw on warmer clothes if I was out late for whatever reason.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:21 PM

254 posts, read 428,026 times
So why does everyone have to move to North Carolina? I mean, if you don't like their sweltering summers, try somewhere else. You can go for the dry heat out west, or the somewhat less annoying summers of the DC area, or just about anywhere. I mean OK there are jobs popping up all over the Charlotte area, but there are jobs all over the place, outside the decaying rotting northern rust belt that is. I recommend Southern California if you can get there. They get a sizable earthquake every 20 years. Fires only in certain areas. Weather beautiful all year.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:53 PM

253 posts, read 913,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genghis View Post
So why does everyone have to move to North Carolina? I mean, if you don't like their sweltering summers, try somewhere else. You can go for the dry heat out west, or the somewhat less annoying summers of the DC area, or just about anywhere. I mean OK there are jobs popping up all over the Charlotte area, but there are jobs all over the place, outside the decaying rotting northern rust belt that is. I recommend Southern California if you can get there. They get a sizable earthquake every 20 years. Fires only in certain areas. Weather beautiful all year.
LOL
SoCal? where you can buy a nice 1000 sq ft 1 br home for $600,000....( in the ghetto )

Not to mention, D.C. and L.A./Inland Empire are two of the worst places in the US to live in if you have to drive anywhere!! It takes 2 hours to go anyplace

Why would you feel like wasting that much of your life away everyday sitting in a car just commuting to work? Im sorry, dry sunny weather (and brown grass) really just isn't worth it

Old 12-04-2007, 10:01 AM

23 posts, read 73,757 times
As far as heating and cold weather, we DO deal with it 6-8 months a year. Think about it. The days may turn nice but mornings and evening are cold. Even in July, you dont go out after sunset without a jacket.
I happen to like cold, which is why i stay here. And for us that live near the lakes, come on i've seen snow piles in MAY, cant have snow if its not cold.
If you run your heat more often then not, even if it is just at night...you live in a cold region.
as for
-Your tiny area does not represent an entire region
http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/USNY1385?par=usatoday&site=www.usatoday.com&promo= 0&cm_ven=USAToday&cm_cat=www.usatoday.com&
this graph does a good job at representing any Mountainous area in NY.
IMO

Old 12-04-2007, 10:52 AM

3,235 posts, read 5,149,611 times
If you live near the Adirondacks maybe, but WNY is nothing like what you describe.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:11 PM

5,265 posts, read 10,527,113 times
Wearing a jacket after sunset in July? Thats exaggerating a bit don't you think? The only summer I remember being cool enough for that to be true was summer of '92....and even then it wasn't the WHOLE summer of even all of July.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:58 PM

5,305 posts, read 3,979,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Let's see - I remove my own snow, my pipes have never frozen, I don't get snow tires, I got a warm winter coat at a GAP clearnace last year for 20 bucks, and I've had the same boots for five years.

And what was your electric bill last summer?
120 dollars in the hottest month ever recorded..what is yor heating bill in January?

Next 7 days here in Charlotte

This Afternoon: Partly sunny, with a high near 54. West wind around 8 mph.

Tonight: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 33. Calm wind.

Wednesday: Partly sunny, with a high near 58. Calm wind becoming south between 8 and 11 mph.

Wednesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 32. North wind between 6 and 8 mph.

Thursday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 52. North wind between 5 and 11 mph.

Thursday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 31.

Friday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 57.

Friday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 38.

Saturday: Sunny, with a high near 66.

Saturday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 43.

Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 67.

Sunday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 45.

Monday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 69.

Enjoy the cold

Old 12-04-2007, 01:23 PM

5,265 posts, read 10,527,113 times
This is going to sound very 12buttonsish and hypocritical...but Charlotte sucks! Sorry. I lived in the Raleigh area for over 12 years and while I didn't think it was for me, I still thought it was a nice area with some personality, especially the last town we lived in; Apex. But when we first came to NC to check it out in 1994, we looked at Charlotte first before deciding the Triangle was better; what a bland and charecterless city, and the sprawl was some of the worst I'd ever seen...almost as bad as Atlanta. Charlotte was always hotter in the summer, and colder in the winter than Raleigh too. They claim to have a "medeterranian" climate, which is laughable at best. Someone had told us that Charlotte was like a wamer, cheaper version of Boston (2nd city of the south like boston is the 2nd city of the northeast; lots of banking and financial jobs, lol...."charecter"). I think they were on drugs.

Enjoy the bland charecterless Charlotte, which like very city in the world; won't have its affordability and job growth (or water) forever!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York