Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 08:45 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio1969 View Post
My last visit:
12 pack of cocacola at CVS - $7-8 in NY, $3-4 in VA
Gas $3.90 (above) in NY, $2.90-3.09 in VA
Cigarettes average around $9 - 11 in NY, $5 in VA

....and so on.

Using the cnn calculator If I make 50k in NY, I can make 38K in Roanoke.

Groceries are 12%less
Housing is 38% less
Utilities are 15% less
Healthcare is 11% less

Ive already given the example of taxes... I pay around 7800 for 1.5 acres in NY(and 7500 for my second home which under a acre and I cant wait to sell), where Im going to pay under 1200 in VA for over 70 acres.

Oh, should also point out that the areas around Smith Mountain Lake are known for drawing retirees, so certain spots may tend to be a bit more with COL. There are ALOT of choices though around Shenandoah. We looked from Winchester all the way down past Roanoke, both sides of 81, east and west. We decided on our spot becuase its close to SML(fishing !), and Roanoke, yet is rural and not congested. There seems to be a awful lots of new construction there which means I wont have to go into Roanoke for things I need(gym, movies, doctor,shopping). I believe they also just built a new hospital there as well.

I agree its hard work to find some decent places in PA, but theyre there. The upper east part of the state has some nice areas, the lower part in Amish country.... you just have to really look to find the nice spots.

(I havent been west in PA so I cant comment on it)
Man(sigh)........You do know that overall COL will vary in NY State right? I used the Sperling's COL calculator(can I mention that?) due to the ability to make it municipality specific. With COL, housing costs make up the largest percentage in terms of plurality and median home prices tend to be the difference when looking at other parts of the state.

I honestly looked for homes that fit the OP's criteria and literally 5 came up. I searched all the way down to Blacksburg/Christiansburg and Radford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
I think PA is better for taxes but not much else. You made a wise decision to relocate to VA, IMO. In most COL calculators that I've seen, housing is anywhere from 20-40% cheaper in VA than where you are from. I've also been taking an interest lately in living in VA, even more so than NC.

I think as much as COL calculators are helpful guides, the bottom line is that you only need 1 house. So, even if the area averages 200k+ for a home, like in Charlottesville, that doesn't mean you can't find a decent home for $150k. Like a job, you only need to find that one place. And the benefits of putting location first and house second are worth it, IMO.

Better to buy a townhouse in C-ville than a mansion in a run down, high tax area, IMO, because at least the cultural resources are there.

To the OP, according to this COL calculator, I checked the difference in overall COL in Charlottesville and Ithaca. I picked these two because I consider them both to be similarly educated, desirable, progressive areas with most of the requirements you'd like. COL is less than 1% higher in C-ville. Since this is likely within the margin of error, its accurate to say that both of these areas probably cost about the same to live there.

Considering other areas like Roanoke, Harrisonburg, and Staunton / Waynesboro will probably stretch the $150k even more.

Cost of Living Calculator: Compare the Cost of Living in Two Cities - CNNMoney
Yes, this is about right and is a great comparison of similar communities. Harrisonburg, which is home to James Madison University, is probably similar to say a bigger Oneonta with a metro population near that of Glens Falls.

Just as I say that, I did the comparison and Oneonta was 1% lower in overall COL than Harrisonburg according to that other COL calculator. Housing made the difference. This isn't to say one is better than the other, but the COL aspect is/can be a give or take.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:55 AM

137 posts, read 218,441 times
^ About the taxes, thats with agricultural zoning.

We also might be looking in to benefits of 4H. Greenhousing, gardens, livestock, fish farming.... we're planning on doing all this stuff.

I dont mean to derail anyone here, but trying to provide another option. NY.

Seriously, EVERYONE I know is dying to get out of this state.

And I do like some of the pine areas of PA. I visit the poconos every summer. I think with PA you just have to really spend alot of time checking areas out and choose wisely.

Quote:
You do know that overall COL will vary in NY State right?
Of course. I did say what area I lived in and was only comparing those 2.

Of course, COL will vary on location. Dutchess and Orange counties are going to be more expensive than Essex or Hamilton. Theyre also going to be more congested and while there are more jobs, theres also much more competition for those jobs. Everyone here has a Assoc, Bachelors or Master degree in something.

Last edited by Scorpio1969; 02-05-2014 at 09:06 AM..

Old 02-05-2014, 09:01 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Yes, this is about right and is a great comparison of similar communities. Harrisonburg, which is home to James Madison University, is probably similar to say a bigger Oneonta with a metro population near that of Glens Falls.

Just as I say that, I did the comparison and Oneonta was 1% lower in overall COL than Harrisonburg according to that other COL calculator. Housing made the difference.
Wow. Two demographics nerds agree on something! Yep, I think homes in C-ville will likely cost more, but taxes in Ithaca will likely be higher. Harrisonburg and Oneonta I can see being pretty similar.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Wow. Two demographics nerds agree on something! Yep, I think homes in C-ville will likely cost more, but taxes in Ithaca will likely be higher. Harrisonburg and Oneonta I can see being pretty similar.
Yeah, I've been trying to say this for years on here. I try to compare similar communities in different states that have a similar reputation in their areas.

I will say that I've found some homes in WV as well that could fit(at least one in Inwood anyway for now). With this said, OP, if you still want or are considering NY, it can be done, for the most part.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:31 AM

17 posts, read 24,424 times
Thank you all again. I like both sides of the coin here and am happy to expand my search outward. ckhthankgod, the year thing can definitely be relaxed. That was more of something I liked - older houses with plank wood flooring, etc. It's far from a requirement at this point.

Sun is a major factor (for me). Areas around for my parents to work is an important factor. A hopeful future for the community (unpredictable, I know) is an important factor. Most everything else can get put into the "bonus" category.

As most have been saying, the PA communities fall in line with my observations over the years as well. It appears to be falling apart. With that said, I think I intend on taking it off of my list of considerations. VA sounds good on paper, but I know nothing about it. I'm happy to consider it but I'd need more guidance so I think I will too post over on their forum specific to the area. One thing I noted though was that areas like Roanoke seemed to have a higher crime index than even Los Angeles. Can anyone elaborate on this?

I'm still looking around in NY. Weather may become a deciding factor and taxes but everything ends up being relative. Most people think the COL in Los Angeles is out of control, but comparatively speaking (for example) the incomes are good thus making the balance more livable. I'm glad to see the numbers compared so closely above.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:46 AM

If you want to look at average annual income, while it is from 2011/2012, it could give an idea in terms of pay: Northern California enjoys nation's highest salaries - The Business Journals

Old 02-05-2014, 02:41 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplesample View Post
Thank you all again. I like both sides of the coin here and am happy to expand my search outward. ckhthankgod, the year thing can definitely be relaxed. That was more of something I liked - older houses with plank wood flooring, etc. It's far from a requirement at this point.

Sun is a major factor (for me). Areas around for my parents to work is an important factor. A hopeful future for the community (unpredictable, I know) is an important factor. Most everything else can get put into the "bonus" category.

As most have been saying, the PA communities fall in line with my observations over the years as well. It appears to be falling apart. With that said, I think I intend on taking it off of my list of considerations. VA sounds good on paper, but I know nothing about it. I'm happy to consider it but I'd need more guidance so I think I will too post over on their forum specific to the area. One thing I noted though was that areas like Roanoke seemed to have a higher crime index than even Los Angeles. Can anyone elaborate on this?

I'm still looking around in NY. Weather may become a deciding factor and taxes but everything ends up being relative. Most people think the COL in Los Angeles is out of control, but comparatively speaking (for example) the incomes are good thus making the balance more livable. I'm glad to see the numbers compared so closely above.
Roanoke is about mid-pack in American cities for crime, I'd say. I'd put that number in perspective in that its pretty typical among cities of its size. The really low number cities aren't really cities at all- for example, any place with a population over 100k can be a city, but demographically and historically, is really more of a suburban township. Some cities to compare (violent crime per 100k people):

Roanoke: 553
Philadelphia: 1160
Raleigh: 423
Binghamton: 667
Albany: 816
Tampa: 616
Asheville: 496
Buffalo: 1288

Look at how high Buffalo is, but right nearby is Amherst and Clarkstown:
Amherst, NY: 74
Clarkstown: 95

Philly is bad too, but nearby Cherry Hill is only 157.

A number of towns exist outside Albany as well, with low numbers. Brick Township NJ is very low (106) but you'd be surprised how much heroin use goes on there.

So, I'd say check the numbers but all of these cities have extremely safe areas near them or even within them. If you're looking to live in the countryside with access to a small city, you'll likely be fine in NY, PA, or VA, crime wise.

Old 02-05-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Roanoke is about mid-pack in American cities for crime, I'd say. I'd put that number in perspective in that its pretty typical among cities of its size. The really low number cities aren't really cities at all- for example, any place with a population over 100k can be a city, but demographically and historically, is really more of a suburban township. Some cities to compare (violent crime per 100k people):

Roanoke: 553
Philadelphia: 1160
Raleigh: 423
Binghamton: 667
Albany: 816
Tampa: 616
Asheville: 496
Buffalo: 1288

Look at how high Buffalo is, but right nearby is Amherst and Clarkstown:
Amherst, NY: 74
Clarkstown: 95

Philly is bad too, but nearby Cherry Hill is only 157.

A number of towns exist outside Albany as well, with low numbers. Brick Township NJ is very low (106) but you'd be surprised how much heroin use goes on there.

So, I'd say check the numbers but all of these cities have extremely safe areas near them or even within them. If you're looking to live in the countryside with access to a small city, you'll likely be fine in NY, PA, or VA, crime wise.
Just to add to this, this may give an idea in terms of metro areas: http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2012...teRankings.pdf

This is also a great tool for viewing crime info: Uniform Crime Reporting Statistics

That last tool can allow you to view the agency information over a period of time that includes violent and property crime.

Here's another tool: http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr...#disablemobile
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York