Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 10:51 PM

306 posts, read 1,614,685 times

Advertisements

iloveupstateny,

Sorry to hear of your frustration trying to land a teaching job in NY state.

If you don't mind, could you explain what your speciality/focus/certification is in?

Also, what do you think are the reasons for the difficulty you ran into? The stats show *some* teaching jobs being generated in the state, and in Central NY particularly (compared to Western NY). I've heard that it's a particularly closed, who-knows-who circle regarding teacher hiring in much of the state. And that the strong union may worsen this. Would you agree, or do you attribute the problem to pure demographics?

Could you also give me some feedback about the following?

I'm very determined to move from college teaching (in Virginia) to elementary-level teaching in Upstate NY, esp. Central NY. But with four kids, I don't want to be chasing windmills. Do you think with 20+ years college teaching, fine teaching credentials (teaching awards, etc.), a masters, and the elem. teacher training I'll be getting in Virginia before we move to NY state, I'll have a fair shot at landing an elementary teaching job? And not to be weird, but as a man, wouldn't I have a bit of an advantage in elementary hiring, since schools are usually eager to get more men into elementary classrooms?

My wife teaches highschool English. She's got a very distinguished record (teaching awards, teaches Advanced Placement classes, runs her school's often-championship regional academic competition team, etc.). Offhand, would you say she's got good odds of landing a highschool teaching job?

Thanks in advance for your feedback--and BEST of luck in your job-search and move to NC. I hope one day you can and will come back to NY state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2006, 11:52 AM

55 posts, read 323,867 times
Greetings,
I was 26 when i left NYC for Miami, FL. Back in 1998.
Back then, S. FLA was hidden treasure with affordable, nice homes and less tension in the air. Jobs were sketchy though. In all that time, deep in my heart i always beat myself up for bypassing NYC for my finance career. Now i want to return and give NYC a try at 34. I just hope NYC will give me a chance.

They say god is everywhere, but his office is in NYC - and for good reason

Old 12-09-2006, 12:25 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,477,624 times
I read somewhere on this forum about blooming where you are planted. In other words, home is where you will best thrive.

I am a dyed-in-the wool New Yorker. I was born and bred in Brookyn, but have lived in Pennsylvania, Manhattan, Ossining, southern Rhode Island and, briefly, east-central Vermont. Right now I have lived in Brooklyn for about 17-18 years. I am now seriously considering a move to Brattleboro, Vermont, and the posts on this thread have been food for thought.

I am taking the time to research, to the point of rumination. I want to leave New York for the visual beauty of Vermont, for the lack of crowds and clutter, for the generally calmer lifestyle. Brattleboro has culture and outdoor activity. It also has a train that goes from downtown to Penn Station in Manhattan. Almost everyone I have spoken to or who have posted about the place speak very positively about it.

But sometimes, when I visit (I have visited about 3-4 times), the place feels a little alien to me. In spite of everything, Brooklyn is home. I wonder if I should challenge that or go with it.

It is hard to make changes. It can also be joyful and exhilarating.

Moving to Vermont is not like moving to North Carolina or the southwest. It is about 5 hours' driving distance from New York, and much of the ride is on pleasant roads. There is plenty of snow in the winter, and summer is a bit cooler than in New York. The culture shock is not as as extreme as another region of the country. It is still the northeast.

And if I am not happy, I guess I could come back to New York, although, of course, I could not return to the familiar (although no longer appropriate for me) house I left.

Old 12-10-2006, 06:56 AM

2 posts, read 3,185 times
Cool homeward bound to NY

I left upstate NY about 15 years ago for Florida. The weather is great, the people are not friendly and the jobs are not loyal.

But I made the best of what I had to work with.
I own my own home and have a great job. So I really set down roots here in south Florida. I am single with no real ties here, accept my son lives who lives about 3 hours north in Florida.

But my parents who are in their late 70's still live in upstate NY.
I had to make a very hard decision.

Now don't get me wrong. I love NY and I miss the country, but you get so use to a place that it is hard to change. And talk about culture shock!

But I digress, so anyway I decided to take the leap for my parents and sell my home and leave my job and move back home to be with them, for however many years they are still with me.

Most likely it will be a very hard move, it will be culture shock all over again and then tring to find a job that most likely will only pay half of what I make now. And my four cats who have never seen snow, they will problely adjust better then me to the COLD! there indoor cats so they will always be toasty warm.

Anyway, NY is still my home no matter where I go. So the sacrifice will be worth it.

Old 12-10-2006, 06:59 AM

2 posts, read 3,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLATINQT View Post
Like most people these days, I left NY to move South. I hate it. I am so homesick. It's been 2 1/2 yrs and I have not gotten used to this southern life (Florida and GA). The grass is not always greener on the other side. I wish that I could be posting about moving to NY. For those of you moving to NY, it's a wonderful state, whether you live in the City or upstate. NY actually has laws that make sense. I took many things for granted when i lived in NY and now I wish that I were back. For example, Florida and GA are both "right to work" states, which basically means that you can get fired from your job for no **** reason at all. Is that crazy or what? Where are the unions? There are no real restaurants, no culture, no nice people. And they say NYers are rude?! I don't think so. The whole southern hospitality thing is a myth. I MISS NEW YORK.
I left upstate NY about 15 years ago for Florida. The weather is great here, the people are not friendly and the jobs are not loyal.

But I made the best of what I had to work with.
I own my own home and have a great job. So I really set down roots here in south Florida. I am single with no real ties here, accept my son lives who lives about 3 hours north in Florida.

But my parents who are in their late 70's still live in upstate NY.
I had to make a very hard decision.

Now don't get me wrong. I love NY and I miss the country, but you get so use to a place that it is hard to change. And talk about culture shock!

But I digress, so anyway I decided to take the leap for my parents and sell my home and leave my job and move back home to be with them, for however many years they are still with me.

Most likely it will be a very hard move, it will be culture shock all over again and then tring to find a job that most likely will only pay half of what I make now. And my four cats who have never seen snow, they will problely adjust better then me to the COLD! there indoor cats so they will always be toasty warm.

Anyway, NY is still my home no matter where I go. So the sacrifice will be worth it.

Old 12-10-2006, 07:42 AM

9 posts, read 64,938 times
Default Well, well, well, random thoughts of someone who has lived in the south, west, and

europe and on Guam, i had to stop reading. The south is not the north its just that simple. Hence the reason it's called the south. I have lived in sooo many places and one thing i learned is simple, free your mind the rest will follow. Its that simple. New York is a right to work state, and once i was forced to join a union. So it's not the utopia that some may think but if you believe it is utopia than by god it is, so live there and be happy. Once i left the "NYC is the center of the universe" attitude in new york well my life opened and i was sooo happy to experience the universe. Be well and happy.

Old 12-10-2006, 10:23 AM

2 posts, read 3,981 times
I left it. I i don't have any regret.

-----------------------------------------
nypd@digitalhardcore.us

Old 12-10-2006, 06:00 PM

2 posts, read 4,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
I don't think you ever went to public school in NYC. The schools are HORRIBLE. Education and violence wise. Columbine, that's the first time that ever happened in that school. It has yet to happen again there. It is VERY rare for a school shooting to happen in a middle class, White suberban school. In most schools in NYC, the kids are always bring guns to school. Kids threatening other students with guns, knives, MACHETES. Most students are from lower income areas of the city, and take advantage of those from better backgrounds. They used to keep the "ghetto" kids stuck in the ghetto, now they can request transfers to schools in better of areas. Making those schools which already had problems, worse.

There was a triple shooting earlier this year in Evander HS in the Bronx. Right on the steps to the school. Kids were going into school. That was not the first or last violent incident in that school even this year. No one gave a ****.

Last year I remember a kid was shot dead in a hallway inside of MLK high school in Harlem. Again no one gave a ****.

You know why? These were Black and Latino kids from the ghetto. Not crazy White kids from middle America.

Inner city schools are horrible. NYC's system is among the worst for large cities.

There are good schools in NYC, but they are so outnumbered by the terrible. Among HS all I can think of Stuyvesant, Brooklyn Tech, and Bronx Science. Those are good. The average student cannot attend these schools. You have to take a placement test. Who do you think makes up the majority ion these schools? Asians and Whites who went to private elementary schools.

The rest of the schools are terrible. Most public schools in NYC are attended by minorities. Even those in Midtown/Downtown. Art and Design HS on 86th Street. A wealthy area, terrible school. Graffiti in the classroom walls. Crime, run down, high drop out rate. Even worse are the zone schools.

Many of the new schools are located in formally vacant warehouses. I've been to a couple with no gyms. These are always located in low income areas to help reduce the strain.

There are probably more decent elementary schools (K-5). Many of those are terrible as well. The Junior HS are awful (6-8). The HS are already the end of the line, and the kids just drop out.

Only good schooling in NYC is the CUNY's. They aren't the best, but at least decent and you can learn.

Just look how low the grad rate is among major cities:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/educati...ut-rates_x.htm

"NY has one of the best public school education and kids are droping out because parents don't encourge them and parents are never around, they're too busy partying or busy having more babies and too busy finding there babies daddies."

Best huh... With a rate like that, I think there is more to the story then just the parents not encouraging them. It has to do with the school system.

I hope big changes come about to solve this problem. However it's going to take more then a city effort to improve our schools.
What the hell is up with this quote? I take offense to this statement about parents. I live here and believe me, the parents I know are not busy"partying" they are working two and three jobs to pay this high ass rent!!

My husband and I are struggling with the decision to move from here we live in a Bronx NYCHA. Both of us are college graduates and professionals and we cant even afford to move to Westchester were the schools are better for our children. We inly have a gross income of $75,000 and that is not enough to rent a three bedroom or even a two-bedroom in Westchester where we would like to move. I dont want to have to work nine jobs to make ends meet ans then have people like you say that I am not there for my child.

Old 12-11-2006, 05:10 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,078,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms r0r0 View Post
What the hell is up with this quote? I take offense to this statement about parents. I live here and believe me, the parents I know are not busy"partying" they are working two and three jobs to pay this high ass rent!!

My husband and I are struggling with the decision to move from here we live in a Bronx NYCHA. Both of us are college graduates and professionals and we cant even afford to move to Westchester were the schools are better for our children. We inly have a gross income of $75,000 and that is not enough to rent a three bedroom or even a two-bedroom in Westchester where we would like to move. I dont want to have to work nine jobs to make ends meet ans then have people like you say that I am not there for my child.
75K can get you a nicer place in Wappingers falls/Cornwall and a safer life for your kids. If you want, look into the area for jobs, depending on your career you might be able to work in Westchester or even Middletown, upper Orange county area and live in the Hudson valley. There are several places to work around here, depending again on your career. Some members here are from Dutchess country, maybe you could start a thread and get some more info.

Apartments around there - you can get a nice rent for somewhere about 1500- 1700/month for a 3 bed, you will have to pay your own heat in most cases. Sounds like a more reasonable solution than Westchester. Shoot - with the drop in the cost of living (if you do rent) you might be able to drop your hours. Come to think of it, you can rent a home in some areas up here for that price.

Old 12-12-2006, 11:09 AM

144 posts, read 635,531 times
I left Upstate NY 5 years ago to move to Northern California. Have not 1 regret. Last year I thought about moving back. Then I spent 3 weeks there and really realized it's not my place. However, I am ready to get out of California now. Colorado maybe. I miss a lot of NY. All of my family is there, and I miss the food like crazy. But after living away for so long and making a life for me out here, I know it's a place I'd have a hard time returning to. And convincing a California girl to move there would take a lot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York