U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 07:39 AM

2 posts, read 4,204 times

Advertisements

I'm moving next year and I've been looking into either the Catskills region or oneonta region of NY. What are the best towns in those areas to own a horse? And what are the town/village'a laws on owning a horse? Like how many acres are needed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 10:30 AM

12 posts, read 19,314 times
It is usually 2 acres per horse. Sorry this doesn't answer all your questions..you can ask a realtor and/or call the town you are looking into.

Old 02-09-2014, 05:07 PM

270 posts, read 399,816 times
Would you consider North Shore or South Shore in Massachusetts? It is amazing to ride horses on the beach especially Cranes beach during late fall. The sound of the waves at the beach and the breath taken fall foliage trails are awesome experience! Hamilton/Wenham Massachusetts is a big horse riding community with weekly Polo matches at the Myopia club and Putnam Jumper classic are wonderful events. You could also try Boxford which is another horse riding community with a minimum of 2 acres in every property. Good luck!

Trust me, you don't want to pay those high property taxes in NY. If you want to stay in NY then I would recommend Saratoga Spring. You can hire reasonable labor (Brazilian, Guatemalan ) to take care of your horses in Massachusetts.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:39 PM

59,355 posts, read 84,177,158 times
OP, how important is the COL aspect?

I've seen horses in towns not too far from the city in this area. So, it may be a matter of finding a property big enough for your horse. Check out the zoning laws for towns in that area to make sure.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-09-2014 at 07:48 PM..

Old 02-10-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
OP, how important is the COL aspect?

I've seen horses in towns not too far from the city in this area. So, it may be a matter of finding a property big enough for your horse. Check out the zoning laws for towns in that area to make sure.
Common sense. Please offer specific information. Do you own horses? Or do you have any experience in owning horses? If you have actual living experience in other states then you would know the cost of living is very high in Upstate NY. Paying skyrocketing property taxes for real estate that doesn't appreciate in Upstate NY is extremely unwise even Tom Golisano the billionaire changed his permanent residency from NY to Florida. Unless you couldn't afford to move away, Upstate NY is becoming more and more depressed.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:53 PM

A high cost of living is not a reality in Upstate NY, all things considered.

To the OP, just check the zoning laws for towns that you are interested in.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
A high cost of living is not a reality in Upstate NY, all things considered.

To the OP, just check the zoning laws for towns that you are interested in.
Do you own horses in Upstate NY? Why would the OP not check with the zoning law to have a horse? If you own horses then you would know zoning for a particular town instead of keep telling OP to check with the zoning. To own horses in Upstate NY is extremely expensive given the high property tax hence high cost of living but a person would not know that if he does own a horse.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superleggera View Post
Do you own horses in Upstate NY? Why would the OP not check with the zoning law to have a horse? If you own horses then you would know zoning for a particular town instead of keep telling OP to check with the zoning. To own horses in Upstate NY is extremely expensive given the high property tax hence high cost of living but a person would not know that if he does own a horse.
It may depend on tax exemptions as well. Do you own horses, by the way? What should be the OP's move in terms of the area mentioned in the original post?

Old 02-10-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
It may depend on tax exemptions as well. Do you own horses, by the way? What should be the OP's move in terms of the area mentioned in the original post?
I have moved my horses from NY to Massachusetts and I know the cost difference. Perhaps you don't have knowledge in boarding horses that's why you kept telling OP to check with the town zoning. I have already stated the towns that are great for horse riding if you are paying attention rather than arguing with moot points.

I would rather pay for the little excise tax they charge on the trailers in Massachusetts than pay for the ultra high property tax in Upstate NY.

Thank you very much for your precious time.

Last edited by bellafinzi; 02-10-2014 at 03:10 PM.. Reason: personal

Old 02-10-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superleggera View Post
I have moved my horses from NY to Massachusetts and I know the cost difference. Perhaps you don't have knowledge in boarding horses that's why you kept telling OP to check with the town zoning. I have already stated the towns that are great for horse riding if you are paying attention rather than arguing with moot points.

I would rather pay for the little excise tax they charge on the trailers in Massachusetts than pay for the ultra high property tax in Upstate NY.

Thank you very much for your precious time.
Saratoga Springs(your suggestion) isn't in the area mentioned. I was talking about the area(s) the OP was looking into.

OP, I found this thread, which may help: http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...elines-ny.html

There appears to be some horse boarding operations in Otsego and Delaware counties as well. Something like this may work for you too: 26.23 Acre Farm for Sale by Worcester in Otsego County, New York 12197 - FARMFLIP.com

Last edited by bellafinzi; 02-10-2014 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: op
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York