Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 05:43 PM

648 posts, read 3,090,224 times

Advertisements

do any of the cities/towns in upstate ny have first friday art walks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 05:52 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,267,353 times
I'm not aware of any. We use to have a day where an exhibit of art was displayed along the bridge, and of course there are art galleries and original art displayed in various banks/stores on a regular basis. Not sure it would work with our unpredictable weather, rain/snow. In the summer there are so many festivals it would spin your head some of which include art. If I had to make an assessment I'd say we're more music and even theatre oriented.

They sound interesting, tell us more.

Old 11-30-2007, 06:13 PM

oh it is wonderful. phoenix started it in the late 80's. the basic concept was that artists open their studios to the public on the first friday evening of the month. it was designed to bring people to downtown phoenix and get the downtown artists some recognition. it took off and more artists studios poped up and new galleries opened up. some folks even set their artwork out on the sidewalk along the routes. i think at present there are just over 100 art spaces open on first friday in phoenix. there is a shuttle now that runs the route and a map lists all the studios and galleries and other places that are open. it expanded to "saturday after" for folks who don't like to walk around downtown at night. however, the areas where the event takes place aren't very scary! the art tends to be edgier than you find in the scottsdale galleries though and there is quite a diverse turnout of people which is fun and interesting in itself! i'm moving to upstate ny in 2009 and i would love to be involved in a first friday type event!

Old 11-30-2007, 06:37 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,267,353 times
This sounds something like what they're just beginning to do in Syracuse. It's called the Connective Corridor and there are busses from the university to downtown where there's a small alternative arts district and where the university has located their school of architecture.

They've just received a grant to improve the path and a whole nother section of the downtown adjacent to it has plans for a new PBS station and artists warehouse lofts. Maybe you need to come there and help boot it in the butt!

Old 11-30-2007, 06:43 PM

118 posts, read 626,827 times
Rochester has an Art Walk every month....read on:

Visit downtown Rochester businesses, studios and galleries the first Thursday of EVERY month from 7-10pm for an evening of refreshments, entertainment and one-on-one conversations with local artisans. This monthly event will begin on December 6. Admission is free, however, if you pre-purchase a 2008 Rochester Art Walk cup from one of the participating businesses, you will also enjoy an entire year of membership benefits, including e-mail updates and an extra something special (treats, offers, discounts) at each of your stops along the Art Walk route. The martini-shaped, glow-in-the-dark cup is $12. Check back for a map and listing of participating business.

Old 11-30-2007, 06:47 PM

lol! well unfortunately, i can't make it until summer of 2009. but it's great fun and it seems to bring life to areas that otherwise don't have much life on friday night!

Old 11-30-2007, 06:48 PM

thanks movesalot!

Old 11-30-2007, 06:57 PM

118 posts, read 626,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artyst View Post
thanks movesalot!

No Problem!

Old 11-30-2007, 08:53 PM

2,972 posts, read 8,213,337 times
Never heard of it here in Buffalo, NY.

Although in the summer we have "Garden walks".

Old 11-30-2007, 11:04 PM

130 posts, read 173,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
This sounds something like what they're just beginning to do in Syracuse. It's called the Connective Corridor and there are busses from the university to downtown where there's a small alternative arts district and where the university has located their school of architecture.

They've just received a grant to improve the path and a whole nother section of the downtown adjacent to it has plans for a new PBS station and artists warehouse lofts. Maybe you need to come there and help boot it in the butt!

It's called "T3" for "Third Thursday"--it's AWESOME!!!! There's even a bus that runs during it, and at each stop you'll likley get a refreshment (ie-hot cocoa during the winetr months!) the art is FANTASTIC!!!

Also(this is a bit off topic)- Cazenovia does a "Ladies Nights" and a "Mens Night", where groups go to art gallaries, salons, businessses, etc, wine taste, eat, and end up at one location to raffle off variious items--it's cheap, fun, and I'm sending ALL the guys from my "family" there! it's not exactly T3, but it's a neat little thing where there is a lot of art involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York