Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 09:13 PM

253 posts, read 808,769 times

Advertisements

laura, thanks again for that tip. I just don't know what I would do without these wonderful forums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 08:13 AM

472 posts, read 872,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymarine View Post
Nicole,

Glad to see more new faces coming to the area! There is a large population of religious folk here, to be correct they are Hasidic Jewish, and they live in their own little town called Kiruous(sp*) Joel. It can take a little getting used to their customs, but once you do they aren't bad poeple.

Both Harriman and Central Valley would be good choices for you as they are both also in the Monroe/Woodbury School District. Also look into Highland Mills. Cornwall is very nice, but it's a little isolated, the schools are great--very good place to live if you have/plan to have children, I just think the commute may be a bit problematic.

Best of luck to you and don't hesitate to ask anymore questions...that's what we're here for.

~Joe
I grew up around Monroe and I would hesitate to call Kiryas Joel a 'little town'. Maybe little in terms of geography, however it has more than 11,000 people living in one sq mile. It's one of the fastest growing communities in NY and census estimates have it estimated at 15,000 residents (although county officals are estimating closer to 18-20K population). That makes it the third largest city in Orange County in terms of population... one of the highest in the state in terms of density. While it's true, many are nice people, and their customs are quite different from most Americans they are a huge drain on the tax base for the surround towns and the county. Encroachment is a HUGE issue for Monroe and Woodbury.

You need to be very aware of this if you consider Monroe. It is still a very nice community, although the population vs infastructure (including Woodbury Commons) makes traffic a large issue as well. It's so bad at times that navigating across town on a late Friday afternoon akin to trying to escape the Bronx after a Yankees game.

That being said... Monroe is a beautiful area... plenty of shopping, country roads to escape, great schools and easy striking distance of Bergen County.

Old 09-13-2008, 01:25 PM

monty,

now you've got me re-considering where I want to purchase. It took me 3 months to finally narrow down the area, now I'm back to square one.

thanks for the insight though.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:25 AM

472 posts, read 872,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus Pullo View Post
monty,

now you've got me re-considering where I want to purchase. It took me 3 months to finally narrow down the area, now I'm back to square one.

thanks for the insight though.
Well... I didn't mean to scare you... however it's important that you know and understand the reality of the MW-area. There are plenty of newer houses to choose from... you really need to visit the area and decide if it's the place to move.

There are other communities off 17 as well. Chester, Goshen. It just depends on how long you want to commute.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:24 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,907,535 times
I am seriousely considering monroe versus rockland as well. Does anyone know how the development woodbury junction is doing? How is the real estate down their now? Can you get a subdivision home now for 400-500k?

Old 09-16-2008, 01:25 PM

505 posts, read 2,335,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls View Post
I am seriousely considering monroe versus rockland as well. Does anyone know how the development woodbury junction is doing? How is the real estate down their now? Can you get a subdivision home now for 400-500k?
You absolutely can, it just depends on what your exact criteria is.

Joey

Old 09-16-2008, 03:42 PM

3 posts, read 9,062 times
My family and I moved from Orlando, Florida to Cornwall, NY in August 2007. We have school age children and seriously considered Rockland as well. I love Rockland County, but as far as getting more house/property for your money - Orange County is the way to go. Cornwall is such a cool little town, so unused to anything I've ever known! And I was so scared to come up here, being a Florida girl all my life!

I also agree with the above statements about Monroe. We did a lot of the same research when looking in Orange County and now I see what these people were warning us about. Kiryas Joel is a very large concern and I can absolutely see why. We actually almost bought a house in Tuxedo Park which would have put us in really pretty close that area. In my opinion, Cornwall is just far enough away...

Old 09-18-2008, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frecklefaceny View Post
Kiryas Joel is a very large concern and I can absolutely see why. We actually almost bought a house in Tuxedo Park which would have put us in really pretty close that area. In my opinion, Cornwall is just far enough away...
I was considering the Lexington Hill townhouses in Monroe but have reconsidered that. I wonder if Chester is a safe bet. But whose to stop them from expanding their borders.

Old 09-18-2008, 01:24 PM

50 posts, read 148,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole7176 View Post
Thanks for the advice. Actually, I have my eye on a house in Highland Mills. The school is Central Valley Elem and MW Middle and High School. Any thoughts on Highlnd Mills and these school systems?
Good choice, my best friend moved there. Beautiful area, school system is much better than North Rockland as well!

Old 10-01-2008, 07:16 AM

3 posts, read 9,062 times
MW is definitely a good school system, but very very big. That was one of the reasons we opted out of that area. Though some of Highland Mills is Cornwall school district, which I have liked very very much so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York