Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2015, 08:28 AM

92,717 posts, read 123,032,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
I put his place for sale but prolly won't be much movement until this Fall so I have some time.

The big thing is transport. Where he is now within a 5 mnutr walk he has several grocery stores, a couple drug stores, a tool store and afew other places. And a bus system that runs exactly on time for appointments. And a network of friends for driving.

Up here there is nothing like that. Most of the healthcare is packed into giant centers which you can't really walk to from anywhere. My understanding is the bus system is horrible.

We have been working on this for sometime. There is no easy or good solution. It's kinda pick the one that sucks least.
Where have you looked up here? Would he mind living in an apartment or would he want a house to live in?

I was thinking in the Utica area, perhaps the village of New Hartford could work, as it has quite a few stores right there. It would be a straight shot up Genesee Street to the hospitals as well. The section that says Genesee-Sangertown-Herkimer is the bus route I had in mind: https://www.centro.org/UticaSchedules.aspx

This shopping center just inside of the village and some of the shops on the main street was what came to mind in terms of shopping: Welcome | New Hartford Shopping Center

Old 04-03-2015, 09:11 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,258,990 times
Its hard to type out the differance and how they affect people but I'll try.

In Florida where he is they have many small stores in urban areas instead of one HUGE store way out in the countryside. He likes Publix but even the Walmarts are small and spread throughout the area. In Florida he can walk to a small Walmart and be in and out in a couple minutes with afew bags a couple times a week on the bus. In this area he has to drive or get a ride to a Walmart/Hannaford/Wegmans and if the walk across the parking lot doesn't kill him the walk across the store will.

Guessing here but I'd say you could get at least 15 of his local Walmarts or Publix in either the Oneida Walmart or Dewitt Wegmans. With the massive parking lots that go with them.

Where he is its easy to ride a bus which follow main roads and get out, grab a couple things and go home or on to the next stop. Up here we do things with fewer larger stores.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Its hard to type out the differance and how they affect people but I'll try.

In Florida where he is they have many small stores in urban areas instead of one HUGE store way out in the countryside. He likes Publix but even the Walmarts are small and spread throughout the area. In Florida he can walk to a small Walmart and be in and out in a couple minutes with afew bags a couple times a week on the bus. In this area he has to drive or get a ride to a Walmart/Hannaford/Wegmans and if the walk across the parking lot doesn't kill him the walk across the store will.

Guessing here but I'd say you could get at least 15 of his local Walmarts or Publix in either the Oneida Walmart or Dewitt Wegmans. With the massive parking lots that go with them.

Where he is its easy to ride a bus which follow main roads and get out, grab a couple things and go home or on to the next stop. Up here we do things with fewer larger stores.
Actually, that shopping center in New Hartford is in the village and on a bus line. So, outside of the shopping in the village in the shopping center and on the Main Street, the bus could take him to Sangertown Square Mall, which has a Target and other stores(as you know).

There is this senior facility on Genesee Street in New Hartford too: The Community at Sunsetwood | Worry-Free Gracious Independent Senior Living

There are a couple of other similar facilities in New Hartford, but outside of the village.

Old 04-03-2015, 01:37 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,171,587 times
Sean, call the Senior Services agency of your city or county. Most counties and/or cities in New York provide transportation and other services for senior citizens, but you might not know that since you haven't had need of those until now. For example, I got counseling on what I needed to do about Medicare and its various parts when I turned 65. For me, the service costs a modest fee because I could afford it, but for seniors with limited resources, those services are often free or a token payment.

There may be a "Dial-A-Ride" service where a bus picks up seniors and takes them to appointments for a set price per trip. Jamestown, which has only about 30k population and no "real" public transportation, has this service, and I think I've seen similar services in other cities, too.

A number of senior apartment complexes in and around Jamestown have bus services for residences which takes them to appointments and shopping. Some of these residences are pricey but others are subsidized apartments where the residents only pay 30% of their income for their apartment and utilities.

Old 04-03-2015, 02:50 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,258,990 times
I've done what any man would do.

I put my wife in charge of this.

My dad needs requiring treatments at set times but it can be done of coarse. Its just it happens during the day when we both work.

On icome he's right on the line where he gets no help but its not enough. More would be more and less would be more. Damm union pension.

Old 04-03-2015, 02:50 PM

19,151 posts, read 16,976,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinkeyM View Post
Thank you, afonega1. I appreciate your words.
We were only a little more than one hour outside of NYC, and yet we were in the backwoods as far as good medical care and services,
espcially for the elderly.
I feel your pain, my parents were also in the NY Burbs just under an hour from the city. I honestly think the town/county does not want seniors just young families who pay all their taxes. The local mindset is if you need real medical care you go to the city so the local hospital(s) were abysmal. Travel if you didn't drive was shaky at best. Those posters who think being a senior in NY state or city is the best way to live has a lot to learn about aging.

Old 04-03-2015, 03:40 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,940,884 times
Quote:

We have been working on this for sometime. There is no easy or good solution. It's kinda pick the one that sucks least.
You surely summed up several years of my life in a nutshell.
Hang in there.

Old 04-03-2015, 04:00 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,940,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I feel your pain, my parents were also in the NY Burbs just under an hour from the city. I honestly think the town/county does not want seniors just young families who pay all their taxes. The local mindset is if you need real medical care you go to the city so the local hospital(s) were abysmal. Travel if you didn't drive was shaky at best. Those posters who think being a senior in NY state or city is the best way to live has a lot to learn about aging.
Where we were living in NY we had social and political (both party) connections, and still were not able to find/get the services and care needed for my mom... Because they don't exist.

Old 04-03-2015, 04:04 PM

Quote:
I've done what any man would do.

I put my wife in charge of this.

My dad needs requiring treatments at set times but it can be done of coarse. Its just it happens during the day when we both work.

On icome he's right on the line where he gets no help but its not enough. More would be more and less would be more. Damm union pension.
So, would a place like this work for him? Village Of New Hartford: Local Businesses: Village Point Apartments [Digital Towpath]

Village Point Apartments | New Hartford, New York

Old 04-03-2015, 04:44 PM

19,151 posts, read 16,976,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinkeyM View Post
Where we were living in NY we had social and political (both party) connections, and still were not able to find/get the services and care needed for my mom... Because they don't exist.
Same here, they don't want seniors and have no infrastructure to support them. Luckily we finally got mom out and now years later she is still with us in a nursing home but that is where she needs to be at this stage. Luckily there is plenty of facilities and medical options to choose from and no social/political connections needed to secure them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York