Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2015, 06:52 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,199,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeHudson View Post
Everything in life has negative and positive and too many people just love to dwell and complain on the negative and skip the positive. Yes, we all know NY has very high property and school taxes - too high in fact and yes the weather does suck - too many cloudy days, cold etc, but NY has so much to offer. Tons of beautiful parks, lakes, scenery, mountains, very rich history. Stop with the negative and think on the positive in life. Those who don't like NY then move? Why keep complaining? Do something about it, if you cannot then stop complaining

I have noticed a lot of people make the south and the west (sunbelt area) as some kind of perfect utopia. I know some people who moved away from NY because of the bad weather and tax reasons moved down to the south and HATED it. It's a major culture shock and some people just aren't ready for it.
I agree. Invariably, their answers to the question, "well, why don't you leave?" are always excuses, usually about family or jobs. Right. People leave their families and hometowns all the time, and have been doing so for centuries. It's not like if you move to VA you'll never see your mom or siblings back in Buffalo again! As for jobs, well, if these other places were so much better than where you are in NYS, then you should not have a problem finding at least as good a job in your new area.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:57 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I was not the one who brought up Atlanta ,Georgia or the South.YOU made some untruthful comments and others and I spoke on them.

As a matter of fact not ONCE have I said I dislike anything about NY or the people as you have CONSTANTLY done on this thread about all things South.
We get it already!You hate the South!!At least you could be more open minded as you clearly have an awful bias.

I post here because I am an American and I served my country to protect EVERY state in the United States of America.NOT just Georgia,New York,etc..
Im always amazed how so called "enlightened progressive" people can be so closed minded when people don't see things there way.

It is you that feels you have something to prove and most people on here are not buying it.
That is why the "joke is on you".
Actually a number of people have come out and spoken out against the South is utopia crap that a few posters here constantly bring up.

But that is neither here nor there. You cannot prove a personal preference such as what place you prefer to live. That is up to the INDIVIDUAL.

I posted as someone who does know the South fairly well, who does not like many things about it to say moving there isn't for everyone nor is it a cure for all the problems in life. With that said if it is your preference to go there then go straight ahead and go. It's your life.

And you did allege the quality of life is better in GA and that it was cheaper there. So why are you posting in a forum of a state you say is terrible and where you don't live? Don't hide behind the American flag or being a veteran.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:58 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
I agree. Invariably, their answers to the question, "well, why don't you leave?" are always excuses, usually about family or jobs. Right. People leave their families and hometowns all the time, and have been doing so for centuries. It's not like if you move to VA you'll never see your mom or siblings back in Buffalo again! As for jobs, well, if these other places were so much better than where you are in NYS, then you should not have a problem finding at least as good a job in your new area.
Others will use the excuse of a sick elderly relative. Of course people put elderly relatives in nursing homes all the time and move their elderly relatives when need be all the time as well.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:47 AM

231 posts, read 402,110 times
Because I'm used to it and my family is here. I don't hate NYC, I hate the NY government. This is home. I've lived in Florida and spent my whole time wishing I was back home.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:55 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,797,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Actually a number of people have come out and spoken out against the South is utopia crap that a few posters here constantly bring up.

But that is neither here nor there. You cannot prove a personal preference such as what place you prefer to live. That is up to the INDIVIDUAL.

I posted as someone who does know the South fairly well, who does not like many things about it to say moving there isn't for everyone nor is it a cure for all the problems in life. With that said if it is your preference to go there then go straight ahead and go. It's your life.

And you did allege the quality of life is better in GA and that it was cheaper there. So why are you posting in a forum of a state you say is terrible and where you don't live? Don't hide behind the American flag or being a veteran.
Hide?You have lost your mind and your are totally disrespectful.
You have lied as i never said NY was a terrible place.Again I asked you to prove these allegation and you skip around answering by bringing up more false allegations.

I NEVER said the South was utopia either.Another lie of yours.You could at least pretend to be honest.
However yes it is cheaper and that is factual whether you like it or not.

You dont know the South well at all because the "South" is a big region and I am more than certain I know more about New York than you know about Georgia.

I have lived,visited friends and family all over NY and as I said before I swe why people like to lve there as well as I can see why they would want to stay.
I can also say that about the South.Its called being reasonable and you have shown that you are a highly unreasonable person hence why many of the posters have alluded to you being young and clueless.

I have family that has been in the Rochester area for over 50 years who still live there as some of them have moved away.

I also have visited Albany,Syracuse and Buffalo on many occasions as well as living in NYC.
So where have you lived to be qualified to speak on all things South?

Old 04-14-2015, 02:48 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
That's is a possibility we here in Virginia don't normally issue exit visa's, have a blessed day.....

Just kidding..

Old 04-14-2015, 04:55 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,199,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
That's is a possibility we here in Virginia don't normally issue exit visa's, have a blessed day.....

Just kidding..
+1

Old 04-14-2015, 05:09 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,911,239 times
I love NY too only been here 2 years my partner moved here from France 6 years ago and we are planning to move down south to Miami where I am from. Only 3 things we hate Weather Quality of life and Lack of Apartment amenities for what you pay.

Other than that NY is a beautiful place I love it here but I do miss my quality of life

I miss waking up on Sunday's and doing brunch and then hoping on some jet skis or going fishing.

Last edited by Staysean23; 04-14-2015 at 05:32 PM..

Old 04-15-2015, 08:14 AM

653 posts, read 783,076 times
I lived in NY since the age of 5. NY will always be my home!! But.......... After getting married and having two wonderful little girls, I decided to move out of NY down to Charlotte, NC. A move like this is not easy. There are a lot of things to consider before you committ to going thru with it. I was very fortunate that I was able to transfer to Charlotte, NC with my NY job. This made a world of difference for us.

I had a tough time moving away from my mother and brothers since we are very close. But once I started a family, my kids became the most important thing to me and their quality of life. I was living in a 1-bedroom apartment in a decent area in Westchester County, with a wife and 2 babies. We were literally running out of space..... In Charlotte, we just bought a 4 bedroom home in a great area with highly rated schools for the girls. And get this....... I'm paying less for the house than I was paying for my 1-bedroom in NY.

So, IMO, it all depends on the individual and their current situation. If I was single with no kids, I'd probably still be in NY. But a salary of $60K in Charlotte affords you a much better life than it does in NY. Again, NY will always be my home, and I look forward to going back to visit my family and friends, but I'm flad we made the move when we did.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:47 AM

149 posts, read 303,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
If your family leaves, your job leaves, and you realize that you can't afford to pay for your house (or want more than what you currently can afford) you will leave NY.
Exactly. We were (are?) in that situation now...my family is here, my spouse's family is elsewhere, and one of us is now unemployed. So we're struggling, but can keep our heads above water for a little while longer, and aren't the type to just pack up and move without a plan (ie, jobs in another location, all that).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York