Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 09:12 PM

79 posts, read 219,597 times

Advertisements

I am trying to plan a get away for a weekend of restorative fun and relaxation with my boyfriend. Since its a quick getaway we dont want to drive more than an hour. We could leave Saturday morning and come back Sunday late afternoon.

Another option, going away for the day, If this is the case we will be willing to drive 30 minutes max each way - We could leave Sunday morning, have lunch, explore a cool town / spend the day there coming back late afternoon.

I am into art/photography-into the unconventional, outside the “box” kind of stuff
Boyfriend is passionate about food/A complete foodie- open to all cuisines
We love live music, Open to all
I am really into artsy towns/cute downtown cities, architecture, street scenes
We love nature,
We are both very easy going people.
Both in our 40's

Any suggestions would be really appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 06:32 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
Only driving an hour max, you may never get out of Manhattan. With that said you could go to any number of places including river town in Westchester, Nyack in Rockland, the Palisades cliffs in Fort Lee NJ and NY Breezy Point in Queens.
Just look online pick a spot and have a great time, there is no shortage of localities to pick from.

Have fun...

Old 03-08-2014, 09:50 AM

5,300 posts, read 6,177,484 times
New Hope, PA/Lambertville, NJ is an "artsy" area a bit over 1 hour by car from NYC. Lots of quaint B&Bs and good restaurants there, too. Princeton, NJ is also quite nice although it isn't "artsy." If you expand your driving limits, there are many other interesting areas.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:17 AM

79 posts, read 219,597 times
Is Hastings on Hudson a good place to spend the day?

Old 03-08-2014, 10:29 AM

19,041 posts, read 13,955,559 times
I agree that a max drive of one hour really limits you. If you're willing to drive about 2 hours (which is quite reasonable for an overnight trip), you open up a lot more possibilities. Check out the New Paltz area.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:24 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,258,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andromeda1 View Post
Is Hastings on Hudson a good place to spend the day?
No. There really is not much going on. But it is a nice place to live.

I would suggest you cross the bridge and go to Nyack. That is a really interesting town with a ton of stores and restaurants. And take a hike in Nyack State Park along the Hudson River. It's gorgeous.

Also visit Piermont, the village just to the south.

Old 03-09-2014, 05:02 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Rhinebeck may work, if you are willing to go that far. Welcome to beautiful Rhinebeck New York - Enjoy Rhinebeck

Old 03-15-2014, 11:26 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
No. There really is not much going on. But it is a nice place to live.

I would suggest you cross the bridge and go to Nyack. That is a really interesting town with a ton of stores and restaurants. And take a hike in Nyack State Park along the Hudson River. It's gorgeous.

Also visit Piermont, the village just to the south.
I was going to suggest Piermont. Cute little town on the Hudson with shops and restaurants.

Initially laughed over the one-hour drive thing as a "getaway", though. Most of us commute more than an hour to the city every day. The suburbs are hardly a getaway. And a half-hour drive might get you to the mall in Paramus if the traffic is good.

If you can drive for two hours, go to the Poconos.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:52 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,035,924 times
Spring for an hour and a half. The extra half hour gets you into the Hudson Valley and lower CT. Lots of B&Bs from Ridgefield, CT to Rhinebeck, Millbrook, & Tivoli; Woodstock, New Paltz, Hurley... The CIA in Hyde Park has many grads who have stayed in the valley & put out some amazing food. Pick up a copy of Hudson Valley Magazine (or check it out online) - they have a wealth of places to see & stay, events, etc. There is a great art & craft fair in Rhinebeck every June; the Beekman Arms is the oldest inn in America; & the Walkway over the Hudson has some great events also.

Old 03-24-2014, 05:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,763 times
Default Weekend Getaway in NYC?

I am going on a weekend trip to NYC. We already have tickets to Wicked on Broadway, but are looking for other fun things to do - aside from the usual sights (Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, etc.). We are staying on 5th Avenue - one block from Times Square.What else is a "must see". We're only there for the weekend, so we don't want to spend 1/2 the day on a sight-seeing tour. I am deciding to hire this man with van service http://www.manwithvannewyork.com/ what you guys say about this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York