Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 06:14 PM

136 posts, read 378,921 times

Advertisements

i'am answering questions from 2 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 05:44 PM

61 posts, read 79,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychrome View Post
You can drive from Ithaca to NYC in about four hours if you time your trip to avoid the worst traffic times.
If you average 100mph. You must have a Lamborghini.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:47 PM

6 posts, read 16,542 times
DITTO...my husband and I are also in our late 40's and 50's and we too are looking for a suburban lifestyle somewhere upstate. Like you we also want to be near enough to NYC and we would like a place with a walking town/village.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:15 PM

6 posts, read 16,542 times
We too thought about relocating to Charlotte, NC and decided theres no place like the State of NY. Quality of life is much better and besides NC has too many snakes (yuk)!!!! I decided I'd rather deal with the snow in my garden the the snakes.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:57 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cris2461 View Post
We too thought about relocating to Charlotte, NC and decided theres no place like the State of NY. Quality of life is much better and besides NC has too many snakes (yuk)!!!! I decided I'd rather deal with the snow in my garden the the snakes.
You might like some communities like Nyack, Dobbs Ferry, Ardsley, Tarrytown, White Plains, Irvington, Cornwall-on-Hudson, Highland, New City, Pearl River and many more.

Old 07-30-2010, 01:05 AM

1 posts, read 2,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBG View Post
My husband and I are considering New York for a possible relocation. I would like some land (10-15 acres), a place to have a few chickens, a small town atmosphere, a place that's safe and the community is friendly. The Upstate NY home prices seem reasonable from what I'm seeing, but I don't want to be so far from some excitment (NY,NY/Boston) when we want it, or a Starbucks if possible Does any such town exist? Ithaca seems interesting, I would enjoy a college atmosphere, as long as there's no homeless lurking around, it's rampant here in California near the colleges. Am I asking for too much? We are in our late 40s and early 50s, no children, employment is not a concern, just wanting some peace and quiet and quality of life. Thanks!
. Hello my name is joe saw this so I thought id reply cuz I live bout 45mins from ithaca...its funny u live n cali cuz I act j dropd my gf off at the airport cuz she lives n riverside,CA n she's moving bk to NY..but neways ithaca is a very quiet clean safe town...everyone is very nice in the twn. Not much crime...and sum consider it a lil party twn cuz the college..but still quiet. And there r no homeless lurking around lol. But hope that helps ya a lil bit i ve been there many times n I love it there wen my gf moves bk we re most likely moving there weird conwincident lol. But goodluck w the search and the move...take care

Old 03-01-2011, 01:28 AM

1 posts, read 2,161 times
I'm a writer and am starting a new story. I need to find a new location for my setting, and was think that Upstate, NY would be a great location. I need to find a small town suitable for kids, and growing teens, as well as lots of hang-out locations for locals. Preferably, no tourist spots or farm areas. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions???

Old 03-01-2011, 06:56 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AriasAA View Post
I'm a writer and am starting a new story. I need to find a new location for my setting, and was think that Upstate, NY would be a great location. I need to find a small town suitable for kids, and growing teens, as well as lots of hang-out locations for locals. Preferably, no tourist spots or farm areas. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions???
Maybe places like Clinton, East Aurora, Skaneateles, Cazenovia, Fayetteville, Manlius(village), Baldwinsville, Pittsford, Spencerport, Brockport, Lewiston and Fairport, among others.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:49 AM

715 posts, read 2,509,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AriasAA View Post
New Paltz sounds perfect.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,211 times
I'm considering a move to Ithaca. I'm retired, just turned 60, and by myself. Employment not an issue. Have lived in Poughkeepsie and miss NY very much. Have always heard Ithaca is a great town. Don't laugh....now live in Las Vegas. Really would like to escape the rapidly rising crime rate here and heat. Really miss the four seasons, friendly people, beautiful scenery, and "east coast state of mind." Not looking to buy a home but rather most likely rent an apt. With internet access everything is available to buy online so am not that concerned with trendy retail shopping. Any advice other than acclimating myself to cold weather again? Tks very much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York