U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 07:43 PM

408 posts, read 1,320,080 times

Advertisements

You can drive from Ithaca to NYC in about four hours if you time your trip to avoid the worst traffic times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2006, 08:35 PM

2,295 posts, read 221,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBG View Post
My husband and I are considering New York for a possible relocation. I would like some land (10-15 acres), a place to have a few chickens, a small town atmosphere, a place that's safe and the community is friendly. The Upstate NY home prices seem reasonable from what I'm seeing, but I don't want to be so far from some excitment (NY,NY/Boston) when we want it, or a Starbucks if possible Does any such town exist? Ithaca seems interesting, I would enjoy a college atmosphere, as long as there's no homeless lurking around, it's rampant here in California near the colleges. Am I asking for too much? We are in our late 40s and early 50s, no children, employment is not a concern, just wanting some peace and quiet and quality of life. Thanks!

How about New Paltz, it's kind of weird and hippieish, like a time warp but you may find it interesting.

Maybe Fredonia too.

Old 11-01-2006, 07:56 AM

6 posts, read 24,822 times
Smile check out Rensselaer County!

I am so glad I found this forum. I love the county I live, work and play in. It has the most reasonable housing market in the Capital Region, tons of land available, small towns, extremely safe, close proximity to the major interstates/Vermont/Berkshires of Mass, great colleges (Russell Sage, RPI), Starbucks , and 3 hours from Boston, Montreal and NYC. What else would you need??

Holli Boyd
(broken link)

Last edited by Yac; 11-02-2006 at 09:01 AM.. Reason: link removed

Old 11-02-2006, 11:46 AM

2,133 posts, read 3,782,119 times
Doing the happy dance! I am so glad I found this forum!

6 months ago my DH & I packed up and moved to Wisconsin after living our whole lives in Maine. Eeuuw, eeuuww, eeuuuwwww! We hate it here and are already making plans to escape in the first half of 2007. We both love upstate NY and believe that it will feel like home to us. We don't want to return to ME because the economy is so incredibly bad there still with no signs of significant improvment.

We now recognize that we need to be in the northeast to feel like we are at home and since we both think upstate NY is a beautiful part of the country that is where we've decided to start looking.

I need to stay away from heavily farmed areas because of severe allergies; and we need to stay away from really large cities because we don't want the traffic headaches. So a nice smallish town maybe with a population of 35-50 thousand (could be smaller but not less than 10K please).

Job market is important as we are only in our 40's. DH is a sales rep so will need something in outside sales, although he isn't fussy what it is as long as it makes money. Some shopping would be good. A college or two nearby would be handy as well since I like to take classes.

If you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. I am reading what has already been posted and taking notes.

Old 11-02-2006, 12:34 PM

540 posts, read 1,196,516 times
^ Might want to consider Ithaca. About 30,000 population, Cornell Univ.& Ithaca College (and a community college -TC3), plenty of outdoor activities, some shopping (though not tremendous), tons of restaurants (all kinds), many cultural events. On the down side, the job market is usually quite tight, and housing costs are higher than other nearby counties. I think it would be at least worth a look. Hope you find what you're looking for BacktoNE.

Old 11-02-2006, 02:01 PM

5,265 posts, read 10,402,831 times
I would also suggest Ithaca. It's pretty much the only city it's size in Upstate NY with a good economy.

Old 11-04-2006, 09:29 PM

17 posts, read 72,565 times
I think you should consider Jefferson County: Philadelphia, New York, or Theresa, or Antwerp. These are all small villages but lots of things going on. There are many small lakes nearby. The 1,000 Islands is beautiful, Lake Ontario is nearby and is hard to beat in the summer. Adirondacks nearby (skiing), small towns, great school system. Cold in Winter, but no bugs, no extreme heat, no earthquakes, no tornadoes, no volcanos and lots of cheap land compared to most anywhere else.

Old 01-07-2007, 09:55 AM

9 posts, read 29,852 times
plattsburgh has a starbucks!!!!

Old 01-07-2007, 08:13 PM

518 posts, read 1,329,773 times
Thumbs up Pburgh, Ithaca, or Saratoga if you have the bucks for it.......

Those are my three picks, but not sure how out of reach the housing market is for the second two. Housing is economical here, but seems like the area is growing and since you are coming from very low crime areas (sounds like anyway), would hate to see you again to just anywhere and THEN find out that their stats are on the rise for big crime such as robbery, murders, assaults, etc. Once you have lived away from all of that, it is a big shock to have to deal with that again. I know from personal experience. It seems as though there are lots of references to all of the above towns on other posts..........Good luck finding what you need. Where exactly in Maine were you????????

Old 01-08-2007, 01:59 AM

2,914 posts, read 7,233,562 times
All of upstate is friendly! There are zillions of small towns most a short jaunt to lakes and/or mtns.

We tend to go towards the Canadian cities: Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal as they're closer to us and pretty darned nice. But, we are centrally located between all of them and NYC/Boston/Philadelphia/Cleveland, so take your pick.

Franchises aren't so big here unless you're in one of the larger cities. You can get good coffee however anyway.

There are several regions - Western (Buffalo), Genesee Valley (Rochester), Central NY (Syracuse), Southern Tier (Binghamton, Capital (Albany), Northern (spans Watertown to Plattsburg). Each one is slighlty different, closer to this lake or that, this city or that. All are driveable, one to the other, in a couple of hours. The Adirondack Mtns and Catskill Mtns encompass quite a bit of territory in northern, eastern, north-central, and southern NYS.

NYS has a state university system whose schools should all be listed on [some] website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York