Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 08:11 AM

5 posts, read 63,901 times

Advertisements

Personally I absolutely adore New Paltz and Ulster county. Only 1.5 hours to Manhattan and about 3.5 from Boston it is beautiful, romantic, fun, and all-around wonderful. I've lived here for six years, and having lived in Rockland, Orange, Dutchess, and Sullivan counties - this is the one that combines beauty, art, culture, value and small-town feel into one tremendous package.

By the way - although the hippie element is sort of a "new" hippie element - socially conscious, green-living. There is, however, a mix of conservative, liberal, independent that makes for a lively place. Come out for a vacation and check it out! If you'd like to talk offline I can give you more info on Ulster, Greene and Orange Counties. Just e-mail me at janineb200@aol.com.

mohonk.com
newpaltz.org - Calendar
About Town | Ulster County | Calendar
Ulster Publishing - Woodstock Times, New Paltz Times, Saugerties Times, Kingston Times, Highland Mid-Hudson Post, Southern Ulster Pioneer
Coming to Unison

Last edited by Yac; 09-13-2007 at 05:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2007, 02:30 PM

44 posts, read 329,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBG View Post
My husband and I are considering New York for a possible relocation. I would like some land (10-15 acres), a place to have a few chickens, a small town atmosphere, a place that's safe and the community is friendly. The Upstate NY home prices seem reasonable from what I'm seeing, but I don't want to be so far from some excitment (NY,NY/Boston) when we want it, or a Starbucks if possible Does any such town exist? Ithaca seems interesting, I would enjoy a college atmosphere, as long as there's no homeless lurking around, it's rampant here in California near the colleges. Am I asking for too much? We are in our late 40s and early 50s, no children, employment is not a concern, just wanting some peace and quiet and quality of life. Thanks!
What about Cambridge and the Washington county area?

Old 01-17-2007, 02:15 PM

106 posts, read 371,358 times
Have you looked at Dutchess County? It's halfway between NYC & Albany, on the Hudson River. There are some beautiful towns in that area, and the prices are still pretty reasonable. Don't know about the Starbucks, but it's home the Culinary Institute of America. CIA has some amazing restaurants and cafes. Good luck!

Old 01-17-2007, 02:31 PM

2 posts, read 18,269 times
Quote:
My husband and I are considering New York for a possible relocation. I would like some land (10-15 acres), a place to have a few chickens, a small town atmosphere, a place that's safe and the community is friendly. The Upstate NY home prices seem reasonable from what I'm seeing, but I don't want to be so far from some excitment (NY,NY/Boston) when we want it, or a Starbucks if possible Does any such town exist? Ithaca seems interesting, I would enjoy a college atmosphere, as long as there's no homeless lurking around, it's rampant here in California near the colleges. Am I asking for too much? We are in our late 40s and early 50s, no children, employment is not a concern, just wanting some peace and quiet and quality of life. Thanks!
Hi, My wife and I are relocating to upstate NYfrom CA also. in our fifties and want a simpler life without the hype. we're heading for the Albany/Schenectady area. may see you there,,, Geoff

Old 04-04-2007, 12:53 PM

49 posts, read 217,858 times
Default New York State Towns

Hi. Looking for a town in New York State that is safe to live in and not urban/suburban sprawl.

NY has a lot of nice villages....but some are more "tourist" (summer homes) and finding jobs in the area are difficult. I am looking to be able to work in a group home, hospital, nursinghome, school, etc. as an OT...hopefully.

It can be a small town, I do like that about New York Sate....I am just not sure where to start.

Old 04-04-2007, 02:52 PM

306 posts, read 1,620,205 times
I'd look into Trumansburg, just up the road (and a pretty drive) from Ithaca.

Ithaca is very prosperous, professional, and sturdy in its economy--a lot of health-care jobs in the area, as I understand it. Sturdy county economy, and since a lot of OT jobs are county-funded (I used to be a social worker), this might be a good fit.

Trumansburg is quite small, but very cozy and relaxed. It is free of the college-town crush of people and a college town's often wild behavior. It's also much less pricey than Ithaca to buy a home in, and has some very nice older homes, very well-kept, in real neighborhoods where kids still ride bikes, play outside, etc. Lots of well-educated and even artsy people there too, so it's got a nice mix of small-town feeling and college town freedom without the expense and headaches. Pretty good pizza parlor and a nice restaurant. It's NOT touristy, and not liable to see anything like wild growth. An easily overlooked place since Ithaca is so close by and so famous.

Living in Trumansburg and working in or just outside Ithaca might be just what you're looking for.

Hope you'll post your experience and choice!

Old 04-04-2007, 03:18 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,079,217 times
Quote:

Canandaigua/Canandaigua Lake area southeast of Rochester. It is one of the most gorgeous lakes (pristine) in the state if not country with high end homes surrounding it. The city street itself is straight from the 50s: unique shops, bakeries, coffe shops all along a tree-lined lantern lit street.....a top New York Culinary School/Restaurant opened within the last 2 years and other restaurants galore to fit your fancy......townhouses/condos catering to the retiree with money are located right at the tip of the lake and the view?...heaven can not be any prettier..it is my top destination in the summer on our motorcycle for a bite to eat and a walk around the park that encapsulates the tip of the lake that is maintained to perfection....

All in all a gorgeous city on the lake and with your criteria, it sounds perfect for you...and Rochester is a quick trip (30 minutes) for anything you can't find in Canandaigua. Also, they have done a nice job of bringing in the "big box " stores and keeping them well away from the older district so there's no ruining the unique flavor of downtown

Old 04-04-2007, 03:28 PM

306 posts, read 1,620,205 times
Gotta agree with Smalltownusa--Canandaigua IS very nice. It may be bigger than what you're looking for, and does perk up in the summer with the lake, etc. But it's a nice balance of biggish-smalltown, in the country, near the city, not far from a Great Lake.

The lakefront is a bit cut off from the town by a four-lane road, so walking to the lakefront from the town is a bit iffy or unpleasant. But it is a very nice lakefront. LOTS of handsome homes and neighborhoods....

Old 04-04-2007, 04:39 PM

3,512 posts, read 9,426,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownusa View Post
Canandaigua/Canandaigua Lake area southeast of Rochester. It is one of the most gorgeous lakes (pristine) in the state if not country with high end homes surrounding it. The city street itself is straight from the 50s: unique shops, bakeries, coffe shops all along a tree-lined lantern lit street
Sounds like you're describing Skaneateles, NY.....

Old 04-04-2007, 04:47 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,079,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
Sounds like you're describing Skaneateles, NY.....

Yes, they are very similar except Skaneateles is a city paved in gold.....Canandaigua still maintains some of it's regular guy feel. We were in Skaneateles last week for lunch at our favorite restaurant, the Sherwood Inn and looking out the tavern dining room windows at that lake of crystal clear water, one could almost smell the scent of old money but in a very unpretentious way......if anyone reading this is ever in this area, be sure to stop by for a lovely 5 star meal at the Sherwood, then take a leisurely walk around town (quaint quaint quaint), then a drive around the lake itself. I promise you your mouth will drop open at the beauty of this area for sure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York