U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 11:18 PM
BBG BBG started this thread

6 posts, read 62,431 times
Default HELP! Best towns in Upstate NY to move to?

My husband and I are considering New York for a possible relocation. I would like some land (10-15 acres), a place to have a few chickens, a small town atmosphere, a place that's safe and the community is friendly. The Upstate NY home prices seem reasonable from what I'm seeing, but I don't want to be so far from some excitment (NY,NY/Boston) when we want it, or a Starbucks if possible Does any such town exist? Ithaca seems interesting, I would enjoy a college atmosphere, as long as there's no homeless lurking around, it's rampant here in California near the colleges. Am I asking for too much? We are in our late 40s and early 50s, no children, employment is not a concern, just wanting some peace and quiet and quality of life. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2006, 02:13 PM

2,356 posts, read 6,134,508 times
Don't think there are homeless people in Ithaca. It's a very small town.

Living near a Starbucks in Upstate limits your options quite a bit..... The big 4 Upstate metros-Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Albany have Starbucks all around their city and suburbs. Binghamton, Glens Falls and Ithaca each have a Starbucks. I think that's it.

Old 10-23-2006, 02:59 PM

330 posts, read 1,101,187 times
Ithaca did just recently get a Starbucks, but most folks there are quite loyal to the many local coffee shops. There are homeless, and even some panhandlers on The Commons (the main part of downtown), but they are restricted by law from any aggresive panhandling. If you are looking for 10 to 15 acres of land with your home, it will have to be a ways outside the city limits. Plenty of old farmhouses and such in Tompkins county(Ithaca), but housing is more expensive in Tompkins than any of the surrounding counties. I guess that's because of the stability of the Ithaca economy.

There are plenty of smaller villages outside the city of Ithaca for that really small town feel. Ithaca itself, though small, has quite a comsmopolitan atmosphere. Tons of restaurants (of all sorts), several museums and art galleries, live entertainment(music, dance, and theatre), very active citizenry as far as social issues go, and more natural beauty and activities than most folks can keep up with. Winters are harsh, and the sun, though a welcome sight, is not a frequent visitor. Summers are beautiful. If you decide to grow your own garden, there's always the Farmers Market for a couple of extra bucks.

As far as big city excitement, Ithaca is often said to be centrally isolated. No freeways or interstate highways to the city (I-81 is about 20 miles away). NYC is 4 to 5 hours away, though Syracuse and Binghamton are both about an hour away. Retail is not that great, though that is improving. And of course there are some benefits of having 3 institutions of higher learning in the county (including an Ivy leaguer-Cornell), though the faces of many of the residents don't seem to age even though yours will.

If you have any questions, let me know and I will try to answer them.

Old 10-23-2006, 05:15 PM

1,317 posts, read 3,264,700 times
What is your price range?

If you can go to 400K "ish" I would say Wallkill, Kerhonkson or Greenville NY very quiet and safe towns, if you are looking for cheaper homes then Cortland, Marathon, Ithaca. The last 3 towns are close/r to Syracuse and Binghampton, the first two are close to Middletown, Newburgh and 1.5 hours from NYC.

Also check out Syracuse burbs, especially Cicero and Cazenovia. Those two towns tend to have some acreage for relatively cheap prices.

Going north near Plattsburgh you can also find some cheap housing with acerage. But i don't think your chickens will be too happy LOL!

Old 10-23-2006, 06:17 PM

518 posts, read 1,266,217 times
Smile Movin' on up???????

Well..............

There is a Starbucks just freshly opened, a college here and you are EXTREMELY close (one hour???????) away from 9 million people in Montreal with the Gran Prix, International Fireworks, Blues Festivals, world cuisine, and arts, artists in Montreal. Burlington, Vermont is just across the lake with all the cool culture of collegiates that you can handle..........UVM and Middlebury College and little ole Plattsburgh has its own state college of around 5 thousand kids from Long Island mostly. Amtrak runs the most scenic route in US along Lake Champlain and Hudson River down into Penn Station so if you have the time and moolah, you can spend lots of time in the Big Apple without even driving there. Albany is almost 2 hours south with other events.......The big drawback is your chickens will have to wear boots for some of the year........Oh, and world famous Lake Placid has events all winter long on the ski jumps and luge runs, etc.........The area is growing with all kinds of folks who are buying lake front at outrageously cheap prices for second homes or retirement places........The community feel is great however, with no homeless and very little trash around. The police and security are great here........Plus you have Lake Champlain in the summer to boat around if you like.......Get a hot tub for you and the chickens and you are all set............Very welcoming place, especially if you want to do some volunteering in a community..........More housing for your money, then you have traveling/fun money left over for adventure!

Old 10-24-2006, 01:34 AM

1,172 posts, read 4,195,338 times
I second Montreal! Great city. It's strange, but when you think of living up that way your mind doesn't wander to those places over the border. You think, 'ugh, the closest city is HOW MANY hours away??,' because you automatically think of New York or Boston. Montreal is 2 hours (if you drive like our northern neighbors do).

You hear Vermonters talk about how great Montreal is and you think, "Wha?", and then someone convinces you to go and you have a great time (just gas-up before you cross the border) realizing that all those French classes are finally getting some use. Montreal works hard to be a cultural city and it succeeds. The winter festival is great fun. Burlington is great, but sometimes you just need a big city and one of the things northern Vermonters rank as one of the great secrets of living up there is the weekend in Montreal. Drive up Friday night, come home Sunday night. It's quick and easy. Museums, planetaria, gardens, shows, shopping, wonderful food, and usually (depending on the dollar) for a lot less than you'd pay at home.

My sister and her girlfriends spent countless weekends in Montreal because the drinking age was lower and because there are bars where male exotic dancers are permitted to perform in nothing but a smile, if you get my drift.

Old 10-24-2006, 08:07 AM

9 posts, read 72,465 times
The Adirondack area will give you all of it. Starbucks everywhere, how about maybe queensbury. you will be, about 180 miles from nyc, and 180 miles from montreal. I have been to both, they are great cities to visit, but only to visit. You are minutes from Lake George, one of the most beautiful places in the world, lots of things to do year round too!! Check it out!! Oh, I forgot, 20 minutes from the famous Saratoga raceway!!

Old 10-24-2006, 09:34 AM

2 posts, read 35,198 times
Default Buffalo or Rochester

Unless you wanna go to NYC, Buffalo (or Rochester) would be your best choice. Lots to do there and the Falls is very close to Buffalo. The nicest people are in Western NY.

Old 10-24-2006, 02:30 PM

2,356 posts, read 6,134,508 times
Cazenovia is a nice place for a small farm with chickens. Lots of horse farms in that area already. Plus Cazenovia is close to the Starbucks in Manlius. The village of Cazenovia is quaint, has a small college and is near Cazenovia Lake. The surrounding countryside is rolling hills with farms. Beautiful area with a lot of potential.

Old 10-24-2006, 05:37 PM

5,265 posts, read 9,849,142 times
With the exception of proximity to NYC/Boston....Ithaca sounds like it would be the best choice for you. Ithaca is probably 7 hours to NYC...but maybe only 4 to Toronto. DEFINITELY the number one college town in NY, probably in the whole Northeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York