Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 09:30 PM

253 posts, read 1,274,439 times

Advertisements

Actually deer wouldnt be a problem if people lived more in the city instead of heavily sprawled into suburbs (which basically used to be the middle of nowhere). And now people drive really far distances basically thru semi wooded areas and get pissed about interactions with animals (deer and cars, or racoons in garbage cans etc etc)

that is one reason Im glad the population of Buffalo has declined.. a lot of the older people and rednecks left for the south. (not enough of them IMO, mind you, but Ill live with it)

Old 12-09-2007, 11:12 PM

2,972 posts, read 8,211,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town&Country View Post
To the contrary... I'm agreeing with you... it was an excellent post.
ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_mouse
Actually deer wouldnt be a problem if people lived more in the city instead of heavily sprawled into suburbs (which basically used to be the middle of nowhere). And now people drive really far distances basically thru semi wooded areas and get pissed about interactions with animals (deer and cars, or racoons in garbage cans etc etc)

that is one reason Im glad the population of Buffalo has declined.. a lot of the older people and rednecks left for the south. (not enough of them IMO, mind you, but Ill live with it)
If this is a thread of "the positive in WNY" why all of the talk about deer, the problems with deer, eating deer, dead deer, hunting deer?

Is there is room for anyone to talk about a beautiful creature, a graceful creature as positive as I can? As a positive thing in Western New York? Not that I'm a deer-hugger, but not that there's anything wrong with deer huggers either. I'm just sayin' ...

Old 12-09-2007, 11:17 PM

253 posts, read 1,274,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
ok.

If this is a thread of "the positive in WNY" why all of the talk about deer, the problems with deer, eating deer, dead deer, hunting deer?

Is there is room for anyone to talk about a beautiful creature, a graceful creature as positive as I can? As a positive thing in Western New York? Not that I'm a deer-hugger, but not that there's anything wrong with deer huggers either. I'm just sayin' ...
Uhm thats kinda what I was doing. Im glad hunting has declined with the rednecks leaving for the south. (thus, there some people now bitching about deer 'overpopulation' I could care less about since they live in the burbs they live in the woods.. we already messed up the balance , so I dont care) part of it is cause I really don't believe humans play any useful role in the ecosystem (unlike how a lot of hunters like to portray themselves as being pivotal.. ) other than maybe unbalancing it or these hamfisted attempts at "management" which at best, barely work, and at worst utterly fail.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:31 AM

130 posts, read 172,986 times
Default Helping in your community--"Social Infrastructure" rebuilding

Quote:
Something else to keep in mind is that while there are disappointing things around us, most of the people I know of who sit back and complain are also to least to raise their hand in helping something out. When you hear or read about someone so unhappy about how it is here, you can't help wonder if they've ever volunteered at a soup kitchen or the food bank, donated clothes and blankets to a church, to see how a way of life of the disadvantaged.
I'm not sure if "raising your hand" is neccessarily "it." Most of the places which need help the most don't seem to advertise enough...Working at a soup kitchen is certainly a help, but there are usually "drives" for this, often around the holidays. Here are some examples of things which can be done every day:

The Rescue Mission has volunteers who help peopple with skills needed to get a job, whether it's tutoring on a computer, literacy efforts or helping people get a GED. Now that's contributing to the community.

Americorp & Americorp Vista have openings--and there is NO age limit, retirees are VERY welcome--in the same sorts of things as listed above, plus afterschool centers, community outreach, coalition building, injustice fighting...even a small financial center which sets up "business" classes for non-traditional entrepeneurs and then arranges for small loans. People with experience in finance and business are ALWAYS needed.

Vera House- If you think you have "nothing to offer" to a battered women's shelter, think again! I know of one man who (a retiree) who does a number of "jobs," including running the bingo games for the teenage children of the women who are sheltered there, while the women are off at classes...Certainly, they don't advertise this, but it's a needed "help"--it keeps kids busy while their mothers (who are trying to rebuild their lives) are getting needed training...

NYCASA- the New York State Coalition Against Sexual Assault, with the main
office in Albany, does come to town with speakers, workshops ect. Sometimes they need things one wouldn't normally think of...Like "time keepers" for the speakers. It's simply sitting there giving signals to the speakers, so that everyone has an even speaking time. It takes an hour, maybe two...

Some of the above groups do end-of-year fund raising (like Vera House) that involve "galas" and charity balls...If your forte is "hostessing", bring your talents to the groups and help orgainize some of these events!

there are MANY other groups... But life being life, people are often too busy... so here are some suggestions which you can do that take minimal effort... (and these aren't all my original ideas)

If you go to church, take one Sunday and visit a church of an ethnicity other than your own. Go to a full gospel church; Go to the little evangelical churches over in the Puerto Rican section (there's one called "Santa maria de (something)" right next to the post office by the corner of Geddes and W. Onondaga I think)... Experience worship and find connections with people you don't normally interact with. I guarantee they'll welcome you... Think about it... If a family of folks other than your own ethnicity came to your church, would you shun them, or welcome them? they'll do the same for you..

Find out about, and go to, some of the free lectures at SU. What ever your interests (getting wetlands protected, getting wind turbines out of tour back yard, social justice, combating unemployment, the list goes on and on...) you'll find a lecture there...even if Ann Coulter is the person you most want to see..she'll (at some point) show up there! How perfect to also meet groups of students who are interested in the same things you're interested in...From them, you can find out where the Syracuse group operating within the community, which you could participate in, can be found.

Volunteer at the Fair - find a group that needs your help and sit at a booth. there's ARC, ARISE (these are disability groups) that petition for various things... Stop thinking that "sympathy" is enough. It's not. Feeling sorry for people doesn't help one iota. getting 500 signatures on a petition DOES help, even if only in a small way.

Media - do you ever notice that the television media in Syracuse seems to only cover a limited number of things, yet it flashes "Have news? Call 555-5555!" Call them, and get them to cover news OTHER than what they normally cover. Last night I sat and watched about 3 seperate peices on "Christamas celebrations" in town and in the 'burbs. They were nice enough, little 30 second blips showing the folks in the community...but it's as though entire portions of the population *don't exist*. Where is the footage of a full gospel church praising the Lord with a Christmas tree in the background? Where is the footage of an at-risk afterschool program doing their "Chritmas Pageant"? Where's the piece on GED recipients and their mentors? Where are the stories about the schools that are considered "in danger of closure" (NCLB) and yet they have students who do academically well, are involved in the community and participate in All-County Chorus or All-County band? Why aren't there stories on these things? Because media ignores sections of the population, and by doing so drives a wedge between different groups in the community..not on purpose, but simply by not acknowledging (or covering) any stories about groups other than WASPs.

I'm not saying that people should rearrange their lives and devote themselves to rebuilding the social infrastructures of our community... I AM saying that if everyone takes a TINY amount of initiative, makes contact across invisble "boundaries" and devotes a few hours a month to things...It could all change.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Media - do you ever notice that the television media in Syracuse seems to only cover a limited number of things, yet it flashes "Have news? Call 555-5555!" Call them, and get them to cover news OTHER than what they normally cover. Last night I sat and watched about 3 seperate peices on "Christamas celebrations" in town and in the 'burbs. They were nice enough, little 30 second blips showing the folks in the community...but it's as though entire portions of the population *don't exist*. Where is the footage of a full gospel church praising the Lord with a Christmas tree in the background? Where is the footage of an at-risk afterschool program doing their "Chritmas Pageant"? Where's the piece on GED recipients and their mentors? Where are the stories about the schools that are considered "in danger of closure" (NCLB) and yet they have students who do academically well, are involved in the community and participate in All-County Chorus or All-County band? Why aren't there stories on these things? Because media ignores sections of the population, and by doing so drives a wedge between different groups in the community..not on purpose, but simply by not acknowledging (or covering) any stories about groups other than WASPs.
Sounds like the news stations in Buffalo. The fire department in Ohio saving a helpless kitten stuck up a tree is all in good for Ohio, but not beneficial to us here. That little spot could have had a story about the goodness of people who donate blankets to a homeless shelter.

To add to your list on things that takes minimal effort, the internet works wonders. Community activism lobbying politicians gets positive changes & questions their authority at the same time.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:58 AM

130 posts, read 172,986 times
Quote:

Sounds like the news stations in Buffalo. The fire department in Ohio saving a helpless kitten stuck up a tree is all in good for Ohio, but not beneficial to us here. That little spot could have had a story about the goodness of people who donate blankets to a homeless shelter.

To add to your list on things that takes minimal effort, the internet works wonders. Community activism lobbying politicians gets positive changes & questions their authority at the same time.
You're absolutely right on community activism via internet...

But what I'm trying to point out with the comment about media sort of dove-tails back to a post on "aversive" racism-- "Aversive" racism isn't what you might normally call racism. It's simply a fear of the unknown, distaste or discomfort...through this an area can become a very segregated place, with the social fabric (and infrastructure) teetering on the brink...

What I was suggesting for Syracuse (and I know you're in Buffalo..this could work the same way there) is to start asking for more "positive" depictions of different ethnicities in the news media. If *every*time one sees and African American (or insert any ethnic group here) face on the television, and the story has to do with violence...well, the majority of people watching, after years and years of seeing this single sort of depiction, will unconciously or subconsciously associate that ethnic group with violence. (there are a NUMBER of recent studies on this, all focusing on northern states..A lot of folks at Colgate are hot-on-the-trail of these studies).

And it's noot just showing the donations of food and blankets (although *I'm in no way stating these depictions should stop*--heck, it's the only way to "remind" people of the needs in the community... I am saying that some of those faces should be the people who are "just like you"--hardworking, raising their kids to "do right" and doing *something* that other people in the community should see. Maybe the single mother in the community who is getting her GED isn't someone you consider "just like me"--but a story about her shows several things to several groups:

1.) To the world it shows that single Moms are often trying to find "ways out" of the statistics..and maybe, just maybe, you should volunteer your time 2 hours a month to help out...

2.) To others who are similarly situated to her, it say "Look...there IS a way. If I can do it, YOU can do it!" (and who can deny that furthering an education won't reap benifits for the whole community? From people who no longer need medicaid, because they have a job with insurance, to a contributing taxpayer...)

3,.) Lastly, it shows diversity. Our community has many people,

Old 12-10-2007, 01:02 PM

Quote:
But what I'm trying to point out with the comment about media sort of dove-tails back to a post on "aversive" racism-- "Aversive" racism isn't what you might normally call racism. It's simply a fear of the unknown, distaste or discomfort...through this an area can become a very segregated place, with the social fabric (and infrastructure) teetering on the brink...
Your use of the words "social fabric" is right on the mark, areas known to most as inner city, in Buffalo we have lots of community groups that are specific to the neighborhoods therein, but this part is what I agree with most:

Quote:
What I was suggesting for Syracuse (and I know you're in Buffalo..this could work the same way there) is to start asking for more "positive" depictions of different ethnicities in the news media. If *every*time one sees and African American (or insert any ethnic group here) face on the television, and the story has to do with violence...well, the majority of people watching, after years and years of seeing this single sort of depiction, will unconciously or subconsciously associate that ethnic group with violence.
There is so much positive in every area of our city & our county (minus poor governing) and it's sad that so many people have settled for the negative sound-bites rather than seeing there's more good than bad. I'm sure the same for your area,or any area in WNY.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:22 PM

75 posts, read 340,609 times
An article in the D&C today: Realtors Upbeat about 2008

A quote from the article: "Antetomaso agreed with Arquette that the hottest segment of the Rochester-area market is the first-time buyer..."

A quote from the StoryChat: "Actually markets like Rochester are very attractive for the late 20s-30s group like myself. A lot of my friends and HS class mates (sutherland) who left the area and now live all over the country have said they will move back in a few years..."

Just some evidence for my first post.

Old 12-11-2007, 04:48 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
That's essentially what we did...myself and my wife were both 31 when we moved to NC. It (unfortunatly) took us longer than just a few years to get back, but that was mostly because it took a while to really realize we missed home so much. It sounds like it didn't take as long for those folks.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:13 AM

165 posts, read 661,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbertol2 View Post
Pragmaniac, I am by no means directing this at you. Your post just brought up a good point.
No prob
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGirl1216 View Post
let's not forget authentic Buffalo chicken wings & beef on weck...
Wings have been duplicated in every city and there is nothing all that unique about beef on weck. To me, Buffalo's positive food is found in the surprising number of restaurants that serve genuinely good cuisine. Left Bank, Tempo, Hutch's, Bacchus just to name a few. If I had more time and money I'd be eating out in Buffalo a LOT more (without eating any wings or beef on weck).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York