Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 11:18 PM

94 posts, read 214,826 times

Advertisements

I'm from the Bronx (and also Puerto Rican) and I have seen many of my PR friends, family and friends of friends leave NY. Most took off for Orlando (the new south bronx), Miami, VA, PA. Many also make the move up north to Middletown, Newburg, Orange and Dutchess county. I can't say as a whole that most PR's leave NYC, but those who want a better life, probably don't want to stay here. The cost of living in the city is rediculous, especially for the lack of quality-of-life you get here. Yeah there's great places to eat here, millions of things to do and see, but how many people actually take advantage of all of those amenities. I think what keeps most people living in NYC, is family and work.

And to back up a the comment that someone made about PR's going back to PR... probably the ones who moved from there to NY. There's not many PR's I know how were born and raised here in NY that want to go live down there. Great for vacation, but not to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 03:38 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,257,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bx1968 View Post
I'm from the Bronx (and also Puerto Rican) and I have seen many of my PR friends, family and friends of friends leave NY. Most took off for Orlando (the new south bronx), Miami, VA, PA. Many also make the move up north to Middletown, Newburg, Orange and Dutchess county. I can't say as a whole that most PR's leave NYC, but those who want a better life, probably don't want to stay here. The cost of living in the city is rediculous, especially for the lack of quality-of-life you get here. Yeah there's great places to eat here, millions of things to do and see, but how many people actually take advantage of all of those amenities. I think what keeps most people living in NYC, is family and work.

And to back up a the comment that someone made about PR's going back to PR... probably the ones who moved from there to NY. There's not many PR's I know how were born and raised here in NY that want to go live down there. Great for vacation, but not to live.
And as Puerto Ricans move throughout the United States, they no longer necessarily live in Puerto Rican enclaves. Like any immigrant group (yes I know, Puerto Ricans are not really immigrants), they assimilate into the larger American culture, marry other ethnicities and lose the Spanish language in the third generation. And that's what makes America great - the Melting Pot.

And I like that - Orlando is the new south Bronx. LOL

Old 04-28-2014, 09:20 AM

94 posts, read 214,826 times
Quote:
And I like that - Orlando is the new south Bronx. LOL
It is, every PR I know moves to Orlando. I don't get it. I love Florida, lower cost of living, but no jobs, at least for the work I do.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:23 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,105,281 times
NY's Puerto Rican population has been on the decline for years. In fact, I believe Florida may now have more Puerto Ricans than New York.

Puerto Ricans are everywhere, as Americans they have the right to live anywhere in the nation the same as any other American. There are even Puerto Ricans working the oil fields of North Dakota and the Alaska fishing industry! Puerto Ricans are much more 'integrated' into the mainstream United States than other Latino groups.

As for moving back to Puerto Rico .... people don't move there, they move FROM there. Seriously, Puerto Rico is losing population faster than anywhere else in the nation, even the Michigan exodus is not as severe as Puerto Rico's.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:39 AM

93,270 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
NY's Puerto Rican population has been on the decline for years. In fact, I believe Florida may now have more Puerto Ricans than New York.

Puerto Ricans are everywhere, as Americans they have the right to live anywhere in the nation the same as any other American. There are even Puerto Ricans working the oil fields of North Dakota and the Alaska fishing industry! Puerto Ricans are much more 'integrated' into the mainstream United States than other Latino groups.

As for moving back to Puerto Rico .... people don't move there, they move FROM there. Seriously, Puerto Rico is losing population faster than anywhere else in the nation, even the Michigan exodus is not as severe as Puerto Rico's.
This should give an idea of the PR population by state: U.S. Puerto Rican Hispanic Population Percentage State Rank Based on US Census 2010 data

Old 05-01-2014, 03:01 PM

157 posts, read 285,119 times
I'll miss their gorgeous naturally tanned women with their beautiful full butts *sigh*

Old 05-04-2014, 07:26 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Pretty much. Contrary to what the anti-Hispanic xenophobes claim, Puerto Ricans and other Latinos pretty much follow the same patterns as other immigrant groups: they arrive poor and live in ratholes (excuse me, "ethnic enclaves") and slowly assimilate and move up the socio-economic ladder over 2 or 3 generations. By the third generation, most probably don't even speak Spanish unless they studied it in school -- just like the grandchildren and great-grandchildren of German, Italian, Jewish, Polish, etc immigrants!
It's become a bit more common these days to speak other language and to travel overseas. So I'd say language retention is a bit more common. Plus it's easy to find Spanish speakers to practice with. But beyond that you're absolutely right. Those Latinos (like others) who have worked hard and moved up socioeconomically are not content to live in enclaves. As things improve in a family's or individual life they tend to move on to where they want to.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:28 PM

These days there are a lot of Puerto Ricans all over. Some move upstate, some move to various places in the South, some move out west to places like California, etc. Just like other ethnic groups, particuarly other Latinos, they disperse.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shera11375 View Post
I'll miss their gorgeous naturally tanned women with their beautiful full butts *sigh*
NY will always have a decent Puerto Rican population.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:51 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,060,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
As a group they are well past the first/second generation living in this country, like other groups before they don't feel the need for remaining in an ethnic conclave. Each generation had had improved education and economic opportunities and they can choose wherever suites them to live.
The NYC third generation down Puerto Rican community is what you would call native New York locals...this isn't an enclave. These are "New York Longtimers... Their immigrant days trace back to West Side Story sharks .... "Tonight tonight won't be just any nightl ...they are New Yorkers as big apple as one can possibly get

Last edited by EricS39; 05-04-2014 at 08:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York