U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 09:18 PM

1,607 posts, read 2,860,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Ohhh brother... the "oppressive state" that has rules in place to keep people from acting like total idiots.

I'm not really anti-gun. The second Amendment is cut and dry. However, that doesn't mean it isn't without scrutiny. Guns don't kill people; the idiot kills people when he pulls the trigger. Data is pretty clear: more lenient gun laws have a direct correlation to more idiots with guns. More idiots with guns equals more gun deaths.

Availability of guns has an almost perfect correlation to gun related deaths. It isn't a coincidence that New York City has some of the lowest gun homicide rates for any large (>1 million) Metro, including all the southern pro-gun cities. It is just common sense.

Charleston, Columbia, and Greenville also have zero deaths from nutjobs throwing people in front of subway trains.

Your point???

Nice NYPD you got there, too. Their bullying and horrid marksmanship would never fly down here.
Rate this post positively

Old 05-09-2014, 04:28 AM

9 posts, read 9,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
They probably live in the NYC Metro.

Most people I know who move from Western NY end up moving back when they realize the South isn't any cheaper and the QOL is worse.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thats not always true Opin_Yunated

I'm the last of my family to leave NYS.. All of my siblings were older and wiser... They left one by one.. 6 of them ahead of me to TN, Fla, and Calif (All of their children/grandchildren following) within the past 10 years, and They refuse to come back to NY even for a visit.

I had to wait my turn and FINALLY my turn has come, Husband was able to put in for a job transfer after working 23 yrs for the same company.. Counting down to October 2014 when my three adult Daughters, 2 Son In-Laws and three grandchildren add to the "OUTBOUND" Stats!

Even if we don't like our new location one thing is for certain.. We will never look back towards NYS. I was fortunate that it didn't take much convincing for the entire family to take that leap. Husband can keep the son in laws working with his same company and were able to transfer their employment making this transition for all of us possible. With over 100 plants in all states, If we don't care for one state... there's plenty more to chose from. BUT It wont be NYS.

Our daughters are educated in the medical field therefore Im certain they will have no problem finding work with their work history, references and experience. NYS can add another 10 people to their "OUTBOUND" Stats. With 7 of us LEAVING and will no longer be paying into the NYS budget (3 grandchildren that would've after school) hopefully 10 more replacing us (Moving into NYS) will be "Tax payers" and not Illegal govt depending recipients. The more WORKING Out-bounders will eventually cause a collapse to NYS IF NOT REPLACED BY INBOUND TAX PAYERS! I dont wish failure upon NYS (after all, we were all born and raised here) Its just we watched my siblings prosper into more wealth "After their move" and wished we had made this move much sooner. Best wishes to all who decides to stay in NYS and good-luck to the ones who inbound.

Old 05-09-2014, 05:46 AM

2,715 posts, read 2,949,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana2adtmia View Post
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thats not always true Opin_Yunated

I'm the last of my family to leave NYS.. All of my siblings were older and wiser... They left one by one.. 6 of them ahead of me to TN, Fla, and Calif (All of their children/grandchildren following) within the past 10 years, and They refuse to come back to NY even for a visit.

I had to wait my turn and FINALLY my turn has come, Husband was able to put in for a job transfer after working 23 yrs for the same company.. Counting down to October 2014 when my three adult Daughters, 2 Son In-Laws and three grandchildren add to the "OUTBOUND" Stats!

Even if we don't like our new location one thing is for certain.. We will never look back towards NYS. I was fortunate that it didn't take much convincing for the entire family to take that leap. Husband can keep the son in laws working with his same company and were able to transfer their employment making this transition for all of us possible. With over 100 plants in all states, If we don't care for one state... there's plenty more to chose from. BUT It wont be NYS.

Our daughters are educated in the medical field therefore Im certain they will have no problem finding work with their work history, references and experience. NYS can add another 10 people to their "OUTBOUND" Stats. With 7 of us LEAVING and will no longer be paying into the NYS budget (3 grandchildren that would've after school) hopefully 10 more replacing us (Moving into NYS) will be "Tax payers" and not Illegal govt depending recipients. The more WORKING Out-bounders will eventually cause a collapse to NYS IF NOT REPLACED BY INBOUND TAX PAYERS! I dont wish failure upon NYS (after all, we were all born and raised here) Its just we watched my siblings prosper into more wealth "After their move" and wished we had made this move much sooner. Best wishes to all who decides to stay in NYS and good-luck to the ones who inbound.
While I understand what you mean and partially agree with you, is there something I'm missing when I go Upstate? Several people have mentioned too many illegals. I mean, I see so few illegals Upstate. Once I get north of Westchestah County, most of the people I see are American Whites and American Blacks. They mostly seem to speak English. I don't see large congregations of illegals anywhere.

I do know that downstate areas like Spring Valley, Haverstraw and Peekskill have a lot of illegals, but its all pretty concentrated in downstate areas that I've seen.

I go up to the Capital Region pretty regularly and just 10 miles outside of Albany (which seems mostly white/black dominant) and its Wonder bread country. Come to NJ and check out our cities if you want to see illegals.

Old 05-09-2014, 05:58 AM

247 posts, read 463,541 times
Compared to other parts of the country, there are not a lot of Mexican immigrants (illegal or otherwise) Upstate. And yeah, you go a few minutes outside of any city and it's mostly rural whites.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:03 AM

3,518 posts, read 4,630,681 times
Check out Wayne, Ontario, Livingston, and Genesee county. CHOCK-FULL of 'em.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:11 AM

2,715 posts, read 2,949,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
I'm not doubting you, since you lived there, but is it more than the South? I saw many people that could be illegal in the Charlotte and Raleigh areas too.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:18 AM

63,564 posts, read 89,029,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
There's some, but I wouldn't say CHOCK FULL of them. Many of the migrant workers are also Black folks that stay in the area or come from Down South, especially Florida. That is why you'll notice that places like Lyons, Clyde, Newark, Williamson, Sodus and some of the other small towns in those counties have notable to decent Black populations and have for decades. You may have some Hispanic/Latino workers and folks in those towns as well, but I'd say that there are more Black folks than Hispanics in most of those towns, with maybe the exception of Newark and Geneva, where it is about even and I believe Wolcott has a little bit more Hispanics than Blacks. In many, if not most cases, the Hispanics/Latinos that live in these towns/cities are generally Puerto Rican.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:27 AM

3,518 posts, read 4,630,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
I'm not doubting you, since you lived there, but is it more than the South? I saw many people that could be illegal in the Charlotte and Raleigh areas too.
I see about the same numbers, at least where I am. There maybe more inland. Geographically, it would make sense that there are more in the South than in the North. But it used to be a running joke with some friends of mine that if you needed some yard work done, just pick a few up at the Walmart on 31 in Macedon.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:45 AM

4,342 posts, read 2,347,020 times
Nana2adtmia:
Quote:
"Even if we don't like our new location one thing is for certain.. We will never look back towards NYS. I was fortunate that it didn't take much convincing for the entire family to take that leap. Husband can keep the son in laws working with his same company and were able to transfer their employment making this transition for all of us possible. With over 100 plants in all states, If we don't care for one state... there's plenty more to chose from. BUT It wont be NYS."
I'm sure you will like your new location, just make sure it is not one that has the same "Progressive" policies that have driven so many people out and continue to do so. I don't know if you've ever been here, but I hope you will consider Arizona it's a great big wonderful state. We are self employed so we could choose wherever we wanted to live, the southwest was our destination, 1st choice Arizona, 2nd choice Utah, 3rd New Mexico. We chose the southwest over other states because we love the scenery and weather here, it is also more compatible with my way of thinking. However, we probably would be just as happy in any other number of states as long as they didn't have the same "Progressive" governments and we were out of the northeast. The south would have been fine except from what I've heard are "muggy and buggy". The mid west is "tornado alley". Montana and the Dakota's are too cold. California too "Liberal" and has the same problems as New York and earthquakes. The Northwest too much rain. I've been to 21 different states and am not sorry I chose Arizona, I couldn't imagine living anywhere else. However there is a place for everyone just do your homework and make sure that the place you move to is really where you want to be. I wish you all the luck in your decision. You are fortunate that your family has left and could probably move close to them. We left everyone behind and although I miss them, we made a lot of new friends out here within a short period of time. I can't see myself ever going back to New York, not even for a visit.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:04 AM

63,564 posts, read 89,029,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
I think the difference is that the makeup of certain groups may be of a different nationality depending on the location. Like Plantweed mentioned, there aren't that many Mexicans in Upstate NY, but you'll see more in NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or