U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-14-2007, 02:11 PM

5 posts, read 16,473 times
Wink The Good, the Bad & the Ugly of Corning / Bath / Elmira

Hello,

Just to give you some background. Myself and my fiance are interested in pursuing Americorps in the areas of Corning, Bath and Elmira. We are in our mid-twenties and are looking for solid opinions with facts about each of the cities and surrounding areas.

We would love to be close to a Barnes and Nobles or a nice coffeeshop for reading. We also are interested in climbing, plays, tennis and a nice movie theater.

We are looking for something economical as we are paying off student loans and would preferably be renting an apartment. The size of the area does not matter much, but being able to travel to surrounding cities is important for weekend get-aways.

We are looking for a safe area with nice housing and low crime.

Any input would be greatly apperciated. We would also prefer to hear constructive feedback and not posts such as "It's a crappy place to live". Please give us evidence to back up your opinion if you choose.

Thanks for your help!

Sincerely,
CheeseheadGB920
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 03:46 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,343,485 times
Definitely Corning. Of the three, it is the only one with a nice and vibrant downtown. Generally speaking, Bath is a boring rural village, and Elmira, which is the largest of the three, has been on the decline for 40 years.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:36 PM

1 posts, read 7,397 times
I agree. Corning is a wonderful place, Elmira has nice things about it, but if you have a choice go for Corning. Although a bit smaller has a lot more culture and a good feel about it. Less Crime. Market street is a bustling street full of shops, bars, and restaurants. The area south of Market St. is a really nice residential area, where you should be able to find a very reasonably priced apartment.

Old 01-19-2008, 02:27 PM

75 posts, read 224,621 times
I have visited all three and although Elmira has some beautiful old victorians, it seems to have some pockets that are a bit run down. Corning has a nice town feel and is very beautiful. Bath would be my LAST choice of the 3. Although the housing is very reasonably priced it is on the decline from what I have heard and seen. Here is a link about Bath bath new york

Old 04-01-2008, 11:07 AM

75 posts, read 272,794 times
Corning sounds like the best fit for you, and B&N is exactly half way between Elmira & Corning in Big Flats where there is a significant amount of commercial development with all the national chains, a mall, etc.

Although mid-twenties makes me think Corning would be boring for you too. I have found the key to being happy in this area and in your 20's, is to be OK to drive 30 mins or so, in order to expand your options. Based on what you described, Ithaca would likely be worth checking out in more detail. Definitely scratch Bath off your list...nothing against the place, I just don't think it matches what you're looking for.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:03 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,343,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad2002 View Post
Corning sounds like the best fit for you, and B&N is exactly half way between Elmira & Corning in Big Flats where there is a significant amount of commercial development with all the national chains, a mall, etc.

Although mid-twenties makes me think Corning would be boring for you too. I have found the key to being happy in this area and in your 20's, is to be OK to drive 30 mins or so, in order to expand your options. Based on what you described, Ithaca would likely be worth checking out in more detail. Definitely scratch Bath off your list...nothing against the place, I just don't think it matches what you're looking for.
Corning is not exciting if you're single, but since you are engaged you will be just fine. You can drive to Ithaca on the weekends for excitement, rather than giving yourself a long daily (and often snowy) commute from Ithaca. And Ithaca probably has the highest rents in the area.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:28 PM

421 posts, read 705,001 times
I would say to try to find something affordable closer to Ithaca. Aside from the general shabbiness of the towns that you mentioned, you would be bored to tears.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:57 AM

8 posts, read 31,936 times
West Elmira is really nice. It's very safe and a quick drive to Corning and B&N. What's nice about West Elmira is that you see a lot of people walking their dogs and it has a nice community feel, nice houses and great places to walk, such as along the river. Very beautiful!

Old 06-23-2008, 12:41 PM

29,062 posts, read 33,003,808 times
Horseheads, a suburb just north of Elmira would be a good choice too. That's were a lot of the shopping is located and is close to the highway. Nice area, but not sure if it is "affordable".

Old 06-24-2008, 07:02 PM

8,156 posts, read 8,892,358 times
I would chose Corning or Watkins Glen in that area - with the "bored" stuff it all depends on what you need in a place to live

I grew up in Bath and it doesn't really have great access to what you listed - corning would put you within short distance of 2 movie theaters and a variety of book stores

the shops on market street are decent and there are some nice things in the city

you would still have very good access to hiking, theatre (especially with a short drive to places like the clemens center in elmira) and other outdoor pursuits
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York