Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 03:01 PM
jyx jyx started this thread

65 posts, read 65,191 times

Advertisements

Hoping for suggestions for a town as a destination to get away for a few days, as a quiet pleasant place.

Requirements are:

Accessible by public transportation (train or bus) from NYC
A rock-bottom cheap place to stay – under $70, or maybe even under $60, if that’s possible

Ideally, maybe:
Within about three hours of NYC
Smallish, maybe under 2000 people, but definitely under 15,000
Would be great if it had a theater or one or two good restaurants

Open to new suggestions, but current candidates include:

Andes
Binghampton
Croton
Delhi
Fleischmann
Glen Falls
Margaretville
Millerton
Oneonta
Palenville
Phoenicia
Rosendale
Saugerties
Stamford-Stanford (?)

Recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 03:20 PM

93,186 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Binghamton is going to be too big, as it has around 47,000 people or so. New Paltz may be another place to consider. Sidney and Walton MAY have what you are looking for. If you don't mind going a little bit over 3 hours, places like Owego or Norwich may work.

Old 06-09-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Binghamton is going to be too big, as it has around 47,000 people or so. New Paltz may be another place to consider. Sidney and Walton MAY have what you are looking for. If you don't mind going a little bit over 3 hours, places like Owego or Norwich may work.

Sorry, I should have specified - and the site won't let me add to the post: I'm hoping for people not to just provide the name of the town, but ideally the rock-bottom motel they know is there, why it's a nice town, what transportation goes there, etc.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyx View Post
Sorry, I should have specified - and the site won't let me add to the post: I'm hoping for people not to just provide the name of the town, but ideally the rock-bottom motel they know is there, why it's a nice town, what transportation goes there, etc.
For Norwich, it is a safe, scenic small city/town. You can get there by bus. Here's more information: http://www.coachusa.com/shortline/ss...d=999672618276

https://m.hojo.com/hotels/new-york/n...&iata=00065402

https://m.super8.com/hotels/new-york...view?cid=local

The Colonia Theatre - The Colonia Theatre

City of Norwich New York

Norwich, NY Community Videos - Welcome

Owego is similar, but is a smaller village that you can access by bus as well.
http://www.coachusa.com/shortline/ss...d=700661327810

Owego Sunrise Motel - Welcome

Owego Homepage

Historic Owego Marketplace - Have fun Shopping, Dining and Sightseeing in Owego, NY - Home

Tioga Theater - Showtimes

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-09-2014 at 08:25 PM..

Old 06-10-2014, 11:41 AM

Thanks a lot for the new suggestions. I've never even heard of Owego and Norwich when I was looking around online. Of course, I've looked at a lot of the tourism things, but it helps to have some human input. Appreciate your taking the time to provide the links.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:57 AM

92 posts, read 230,420 times
Atlantic City via bus Bolt, Mega, Greyhound pick you poison. A lot of seniors citizen do this on the cheap. The Poconos is another option.

Upstate NY has a lot of fun outdoor activities. Go to Groupon.com and sign up to do a zip line course, go trekking, or ride in a gilder or go sky diving! So many options if you're looking for some adventure.

Room and board is never cheap. But your options for cheap are tents, airbnb, hostels/motels, and couchsurfing.org

Philadelphia is another looked over option. Take a couple days to explore and help yourself to a philly cheesesteak.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:09 PM

912 posts, read 2,098,594 times
Quote:
I first thought that the NY State forum would be best for this, but maybe not, maybe this forum knows best what's close by. I'm hoping for suggestions for a town as a destination to get away for a few days, as a quiet pleasant place. And hoping not just for a town name, but some specifics

Requirements are:

Accessible by public transportation (train or bus) from NYC
A rock-bottom cheap place to stay – under $70, or maybe even under $60, if that’s possible

Ideally, maybe:
Within about three hours of NYC
Smallish, maybe under 2000 people, but definitely under 15,000
Would be great if it had a theater or one or two good restaurants

Open to new suggestions, but current candidates include:

Andes
Binghampton
Croton
Delhi
Fleischmann
Glen Falls
Margaretville
Millerton
Oneonta
Palenville
Phoenicia
Rosendale
Saugerties
Stamford-Stanford (?)

Any recommendations? Please include any information about why your recommending the town, any mention of cheap places to stay that you know are there, what transportation goes there, etc.
I would travel a little bit further and go camping in the Finger Lakes

Old 06-10-2014, 12:14 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,577,420 times
Camping Near NYC - The 17 Best Campsites | offMetro NY

mta.info | Get Outta Town

Old 06-10-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the new suggestions. I've never even heard of Owego and Norwich when I was looking around online. Of course, I've looked at a lot of the tourism things, but it helps to have some human input. Appreciate your taking the time to provide the links.
No problem....Some others came to mind like Cobleskill and Ballston Spa, but there would be an aspect missing like direct transportation or a theater(eventhough Ballston Spa may work due to its proximity to Saratoga Springs). There may be others out there as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City