Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 07:57 PM

161 posts, read 273,778 times

Advertisements

100 inches of snow annually in those 3 cities is enough to keep any sane person away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 08:06 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deebin View Post
100 inches of snow annually in those 3 cities is enough to keep any sane person away.
Actually, even that varies within the metros. For instance, the Southtowns in the Buffalo area gets in the 80-120 inch range, while Niagara County gets around 50-70 on average. In the Syracuse area, the further south from Lake Ontario, the less snow.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:22 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,405,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deebin View Post
I'll take the snow over tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, and droughts.

Western New York has the nicest weather East of the Rockies from May to mid-October. Humidity is moderate at best.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:49 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,824,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Very true and dare I say that faith may play a role in terms of how you feel about things working out or about any adjustments. For instance, I think due to my upbringing, I feel that there aren't too many places that I couldn't live in, but you still never know until you actually go to that new place to see for yourself or when you start living there.
Good point about having faith, I try to remain optimistic that I'm right where I'm supposed to be. I will say that I am very sensitive to my surroundings. I'm pretty much a country boy so suburbs or exurbs with easier access is my preferred environment.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
No it isn't and the average income in the Syracuse area is actually the highest of the three areas and the COL is in the middle. No one is buying the Oneida is ghetto thing either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Yeah I don't really know a lot about WNY. I live in what would be the Syracuse area and it's bad here. The taxes and utilities plus the just general cost of everything is really sucking the fun out of everybody.

I got a real good job and just got a nice raise. It's not even gonna cover the increase in school taxes never mind the other taxes and MASSIVE heating bills left from last winter(budget plan).

We live deep in the ghetto which sucks but keeps the mortgage low and keep the heat on 60 and drive beat up rust buckets. My heart goes out to folks with nice houses that like to be comfortable in winter. The walls are really closing in on the few middle class people left in NY.
Looks like Google Maps now has most of the side streets up in Oneida. Seems like there's some abandoned properties sprinkled throughout the city, but I haven't seen a deep ghetto section. This was probably the worse street I'm seeing:

http://goo.gl/maps/MjDjV

http://goo.gl/maps/tkH0Y

Old 06-17-2014, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
A 20% down payment on a $400K home is $80K. Transaction/closing costs will be about $14K and points will be about $4K. So that's $98K required to make a 20% down payment and cover closing costs and points on the purchase of a starter home in Fairfield County, CT.

Right now I have $47K saved up for that purpose, so $52K more to go. I can save about $17K per year, and I will need to purchase a new $20K car by then (my car is getting old), so it would take me about 4 or 5 years to reach the $98K if I want to purchase a home here. But I'd be 35 years old by then.

I'm also planning to spend $1,600 on a road trip vacation next week to the Midwest/west.
How come when I look at homes in Fairfield County, I find starter homes in nice towns for around $200k? How much house does a single guy need?

Old 06-17-2014, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
I'll take the snow over tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, and droughts.

Western New York has the nicest weather East of the Rockies from May to mid-October. Humidity is moderate at best.
I'd say Maine has the nicest weather east of the Rockies from May to October.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:46 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
How come when I look at homes in Fairfield County, I find starter homes in nice towns for around $200k? How much house does a single guy need?
Keep in mind that I live and work in Stamford, which is in LOWER Fairfield County. Even $400K isn't quite good enough. Gotta be more like $500K for a basic starter home. You must have been looking in northern Fairfield County, which is almost an hour from work (too far).

Old 06-17-2014, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Keep in mind that I live and work in Stamford, which is in LOWER Fairfield County. Even $400K isn't quite good enough. Gotta be more like $500K for a basic starter home. You must have been looking in northern Fairfield County, which is almost an hour from work (too far).

What most people do when they can't afford to live where they work is commute. I mean, Manhattan has 1 million people but the metro has 18 million. You live in the NYC metro, commuting an hour is not uncommon to be able to afford a house. And its really not that bad.

Old 06-18-2014, 03:01 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Looks like Google Maps now has most of the side streets up in Oneida. Seems like there's some abandoned properties sprinkled throughout the city, but I haven't seen a deep ghetto section. This was probably the worse street I'm seeing:

http://goo.gl/maps/MjDjV

http://goo.gl/maps/tkH0Y
Damn dude. You pretty much zeroed right in on my house!!! Not bad given like 16 square miles. Looks they came though just after the flood. On my house the sheathing is up but not the siding. IIRC that would be about last August.

Now try and imagine paying a grand a month with taxes to living in that area.

People that transfer to different states end up living in nice modern middle class houses. On the same income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York