Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 02:13 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,259,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrissCT View Post
I love my WNY accent. I currently live in SoCal and people are always asking me where I am from, what accent is that. Some people think it is a Chicago accent. Never knew I had an accent until I moved away. When we go back to WNY I can hear it now.
Rochester and Chicago - exact same accent. I read an article on Wikipedia. The accent starts somewhere east of Syracuse (Capital Region does not have it) and goes west past Chicago. But there are areas inbetween where the accent is not as pronounced. I recall that it is strongest in Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo and Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 03:05 PM

2,972 posts, read 8,214,396 times
"unaccented English"? How often do we ask: who wants a spawt of tea? Not that there's anything wrong with a spawt of tea.

I don't understand when people tell me that I talk "funny" because I say "Y-or-k".

Old 12-17-2007, 03:35 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
I agree....we Upstaters are always accused of not being "real New Yorkers" by the long island/NYC region people; yet we are the only ones who pronounce the state's name right. Its New Y-OR-k....not New Yoak, or New Yawk. Sorry, but I think that gives us the right to kick them out of the state if they can't pronounce it right!

Old 12-17-2007, 05:52 PM

I wouldn't go to extremes on kicking anyone out of the state but at least to have "New York" mean more to American than just down state (aka "the big apple"), that's why I really wish there was a WNY/CNY/UPSTATE NY sub forum here.

Old 12-17-2007, 05:57 PM

I can't believe they didn't make one even after that thread was made asking for one.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:27 PM

133 posts, read 498,343 times
How is Rochester, NY considered midwest? It's on the East Coast of the U.S. Midwest to me is Wisconsin, Dakotas, Minnesota, Indiana, etc.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:36 PM

Rochester and Buffalo are in a wierd position. They are technically part of the "northeast", but have a culture more similar to the northern areas of the midwest. I think you could put them into a category along with Northern Ohio, Michigan, Northern Indiana, Northern Illinios, and Eastern Wisconsin as "Great Lakes". Rochester feels a little more "northeastern" than Buffalo does though IMO...eventhough they are only about 60 miles apart.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:01 PM

922 posts, read 3,861,494 times
Quote:
Rochester and Buffalo are in a wierd position. They are technically part of the "northeast", but have a culture more similar to the northern areas of the midwest. I think you could put them into a category along with Northern Ohio, Michigan, Northern Indiana, Northern Illinios, and Eastern Wisconsin as "Great Lakes".
Yup let's face it - WNY is part of the Midwest - linguistically, culturally, and in how we like our pizza

Some of my favorite Buffalo colloquialisms:
  • Making business names into possessives: For instance: "La Nova Pizzeria" becomes "LaNova's"
  • The southern and northern parts of Buffalo are always called "South Buffalo" and "North Buffalo", as if they are separate cities, but the Eastern and Western parts are are called "West Side" and "East Side"

And for the over-40 crowd - who wasn't threatened with a trip to "Father Baker's" when you misbehaved as a kid?

Old 12-17-2007, 09:05 PM

133 posts, read 498,343 times
Could be. I live in Watertown which is way different than most areas of UNY. Most of the people who live here are associated with the military since Fort Drum is five minutes north. You will find people from all over the world/US here. I know this is way off topic but did anyone see the giants play yesterday? Tear.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstaterInBklyn View Post
  • The southern and northern parts of Buffalo are always called "South Buffalo" and "North Buffalo", as if they are separate cities, but the Eastern and Western parts are are called "West Side" and "East Side"
Don't forget about Keisertown, Lovejoy, The Valley, The (old first) Ward, Black Rock, Riverside, etc. We're all one city but have so many unique communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York