Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2007, 04:18 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,314,118 times

Advertisements

I know this sounds so strange, but I am SO jealous of everyone who is in a nice, cold, snowy area of the country.

The holidays are right around the corner, and it just seems fitting for a snowstorm to come in and leave behind a nice thick blanket of snow.

I remember when my children were young and we lived in WNY - Cheektowaga actually (Maryvale school area).
What great fun it was to be able to go to Town Park and play with my kids on sleds down the little hills they had there! Or building an igloo outside in the backyard to romp around in. It always amazed me how warm it felt to be in that igloo because of the way it blocked the winds.

Being able to make snow angels and compare each others indent with your friend. I remember many days and nights while my husband took our children out to play in the snow and I'd whip together some cookies and hot chocolate so that when they were done playing in the snow they could come in, take off their wet, snowy clothes and sit down as a family and laugh and enjoy a cup of hot chocolate.

I miss having the woodburning stove heating up the family room, so much so that the windows would be veiled with condensation. And as we'd sit in our cozy room, we could watch the snowy softly fall onto the already billowy snowdrifts. I remember going out shopping for the holidays and it being so cold out, one would have to bundle up to keep from catching a cold, but soon as you'd pull open the front doors, you could feel the rush of the warm air sweep across your face like a burst of heat coming from an oven door! There was always that feeling of, 'Ahhhhhhhhhh!"

I miss the cooler weather and the change of seasons. I miss the distinction of the seasons that helped to dictate which activities I would endeavor. Spring was for watching the tulips pop up against a melted snow drift. And for visiting the Broadway market for fresh butter shaped like a lamb, and dozens of yummy pastries and homemade creations. Spring always brought with it the anticipation of summer. Folks would get their yards looking sprite with new flowers and hanging plants.

Summer would creep up as suddenly as Memorial Day, which, unofficially, was always the definitive sign that summer had permanently arrived. Kids out riding bikes, scooters and playing chase. Neighbors hanging out and talking over the fence about "How the Spring was/was not that bad." Going to the beach and laying out in the sun for countless hours. Certainly, it was a rite of passage to lay out in the sun at a friend's house enjoying music in the background and a cold one nearby.
Deciding WHICH of the hundreds of lawn fetes and festivals to take in each week. And scoring "that really great piece of art" at Allentown. Making the yearly and oftentimes, weekly trip to "Snyder/Darien Lake/6 Flags Amusement Park. Going to Canada and Beaver Island was always a "must."
Hanging out around at one of the tons of outdoor venues, just shooting the sh*t with buddies. Summer was to be celebrated and revered, and was a time when everyone took the opportunity to just stop and say hello to a neighbor. Summer in WNY is a time when people get this intense feeling to get together and share good times with each other.

Autumn, ah, autumn. My favorite time of year. After a festive summer of parties, bar-be-ques and get togethers, autumn brings with it its own rituals. Going to a pumpkin patch out in the country to pick the largest and most perfect looking pumpkin one can carry. The cool evenings where one can make a fire outside and sit around with friends discussing how one's life is going. Talking about our kids and what dreams we have for them. The smell of freshly burnt wood seeping from your chimney that tells your guests they are welcome to stop by. Watching the change of leaves and marveling in the sound of the crunch-crunch of the fallen leaves beneath your feet. Making sure to step on just the right one for the loudest and crispest effect. The decorating of your house with warm autumn colors and appreciating the occassional 75 degree day that makes our autumns one of the finest in the nation.

Which brings me back to winter. As much as people crumble about the snow and the cold, I know that deep down inside everyone still smiles in delight over the first snowfall and the wonderment each snowflake brings. If there is one thing that WNY is GOOD at, it's winter. With an abundance of winter activites; from festivals, to parks, to skiing, snowboarding and snowmobiling, enough to keep you busy all winter long. There really is so much to do within a few minutes drive.

It's a shame that WNY (Buffalo in general) has such a wickedly poor reputation for bad weather, when in reality, the weather is just fine. Our weather gives us the option of choice and each season brings with it a barrage of themed activites. The snow is a wonderful reality for WNY and it's worth the price to have around because it's so beautiful and fun to be in. If only Buffalo would embrace their snowy reputation and would shout out for the entire world to hear, "It's snowing in Buffalo! Thank God!" maybe people would feel less reluctant to constantly put it down for the very reason it's such a great place to live.

There is much to love about the city and it's surrounding areas. Stop worrying about what other people think of Buffalo. It doesn't have to grow by leaps and bounds to hold our hearts. We need only to care what we think about ourselves. Quit comparing it to the new boom towns, because it has MUCH MORE TO OFFER!
You just don't know it yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 05:35 PM

2,972 posts, read 8,200,862 times
Quote:
It's a shame that WNY (Buffalo in general) has such a wickedly poor reputation for bad weather, when in reality, the weather is just fine. Our weather gives us the option of choice and each season brings with it a barrage of themed activites. The snow is a wonderful reality for WNY and it's worth the price to have around because it's so beautiful and fun to be in. If only Buffalo would embrace their snowy reputation and would shout out for the entire world to hear, "It's snowing in Buffalo! Thank God!" maybe people would feel less reluctant to constantly put it down for the very reason it's such a great place to live.
Excellent post! Pos rep for you

There are many people here who embrace our weather of all seasons and I'll show you (the readers) why

Summer

Fall

Winter

Waiting for a new Spring to post
Attached Thumbnails
I'm so JEALOUS - Snow-dsci0013.jpg   I'm so JEALOUS - Snow-dsci0077.jpg   I'm so JEALOUS - Snow-dsci0123.jpg  

Old 12-18-2007, 09:36 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,790,445 times
I agree with the positive! I came, I loved it, after 4 years of college I stayed... have been her ever since! (almost 40 years) PS: I have 8" of snow, shoveled by the door, blown out of the drive... it is still gorgeous and white and the best part of the winter!

Old 12-18-2007, 09:38 AM

2,039 posts, read 6,314,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
I agree with the positive! I came, I loved it, after 4 years of college I stayed... have been her ever since! (almost 40 years) PS: I have 8" of snow, shoveled by the door, blown out of the drive... it is still gorgeous and white and the best part of the winter!
Snow really can be beautiful. Having a snow blower makes all the difference. Having an attached garage makes it a breeze!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York