U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should NY Be Split Into 2 States
Yes 20 48.78%
No 21 51.22%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 05:40 PM

2,394 posts, read 3,433,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
All of these idiotic Republican rednecks who think they are better off without "the big city liberals" in their state need to put a sock in it. Go ahead and secede...then watch as your roads, infrastructure, and services that you say you don't need but rely on anyways start to crumble because you no longer have the money for the upkeep. Cities *subsidize* you people, but you're too ignorant to realize it.
Maybe poorer, but free of Sheldon Silver and his band of merry thieves. Could work out better long term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 06:15 PM

8,051 posts, read 9,463,083 times
Quote:
All of these idiotic Republican rednecks who think they are better off without "the big city liberals" in their state need to put a sock in it. Go ahead and secede...then watch as your roads, infrastructure, and services that you say you don't need but rely on anyways start to crumble because you no longer have the money for the upkeep. Cities *subsidize* you people, but you're too ignorant to realize it.

It's the same reason why the south doesn't become a third world country...the northern states subsidize them.
You refer to the south becoming third world, drive around your own towns and look around. Most northern industries have either shrunk, closed and moved overseas or down south. So how about that over liberal, union strangled, democratic think tank you believe in put a sock in it.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:42 PM

8,533 posts, read 7,006,093 times
Liberals would love to put socks in our mouths. Problem is, they don't have the lead to back up their limp-wristed threats.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:19 PM

15,457 posts, read 17,579,211 times
Man this thread has become belligerently silly.

The rise of the South aside (a false comparison anyway), can upstate thrive and develop without the City? My gut says no, at least in the short term. On the other hand, it would be interesting to see how the laws would change and their impact over time. Fast tracking fracking and whatever other energy resources the state has would be number one on the docket just to stay solvent. I think subsidizing New York farmers to grow high profit crops like cannabis would also be a good idea.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:29 PM

7,846 posts, read 5,252,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
I think you should toss out those antiquated notions...

How The South Will Rise To Power Again - Forbes

"Today the [South] is almost as populous as the Northeast and the Midwest combined."
Not even close. The Great Lakes Megalopolis + North East Corridor has roughly 1/3 of the country's population. The South really only has the Piedmont region. Most people don't consider Florida (blue state) and Texas (different heritage & culture) part of "The South."

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
You refer to the south becoming third world, drive around your own towns and look around. Most northern industries have either shrunk, closed and moved overseas or down south. So how about that over liberal, union strangled, democratic think tank you believe in put a sock in it.
I've been all over the country. The South has poor areas that are indeed third world. The Middle Class is no where near the Middle Class you see in the Northeast / Midwest (Great Lakes not dustbowl).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Liberals would love to put socks in our mouths. Problem is, they don't have the lead to back up their limp-wristed threats.
Cool story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

The rise of the South aside (a false comparison anyway), can upstate thrive and develop without the City? My gut says no. On the other hand, it would be interesting to see how the laws would change and their impact.
If Alabama can somehow be a state, New York minus New York City could survive. Buffalo is larger than Birmingham (Alabama's largest). Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Albany is actually a decent start to the population base.

Quote:
Harsh way of saying it, but the content is correct.

Quote:
It's the same reason why the south doesn't become a third world country...the northern states subsidize them.
Conservative policy leads to third world nations. Look at the facts; all the first world countries in the world are "progressive" or "liberal." Conservative nations / states end up as third world status. Correct, the South is subsidized heavily by the Blue Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
@Opin.,,, I think that the secession movements are from conservatives who see their tax dollars going in the toilet for entitlements....
Conservatives have tax derangement disorder. Tax dollars do more good then bad. That doesn't stop conservatives from complaining about tax dollars all the time. Go ahead and move to a place with low taxes. Chances are the schools suck, the Middle Class is broken, and the quality of life is lower.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:44 PM

3,518 posts, read 4,378,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Not even close. The Great Lakes Megalopolis + North East Corridor has roughly 1/3 of the country's population. The South really only has the Piedmont region. Most people don't consider Florida (blue state) and Texas (different heritage & culture) part of "The South."
Sounds like you didn't actually read the article. Brilliant.

*slow clap*

Old 08-09-2014, 09:27 PM

56,063 posts, read 80,155,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

The rise of the South aside (a false comparison anyway), can upstate thrive and develop without the City? My gut says no, at least in the short term. On the other hand, it would be interesting to see how the laws would change and their impact over time. Fast tracking fracking and whatever other energy resources the state has would be number one on the docket just to stay solvent. I think subsidizing New York farmers to grow high profit crops like cannabis would also be a good idea.
Don't they always go that way? lol

I think Upstate NY COULD thrive, IF they have a plan for growth. I don't think it is as simple as just breaking away, but adjustments would have to be made in order to set the stage for growth. Some of these things could be done now in terms of government(service) consolidation, but will people be willing to give up their little identities in order to help the greater good? That is a question, among others, that needs to be answered given that the cost of living aspect is on par with most non coastal areas at this present time(give or take).

Old 08-10-2014, 10:34 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,315,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Don't they always go that way? lol

I think Upstate NY COULD thrive, IF they have a plan for growth. I don't think it is as simple as just breaking away, but adjustments would have to be made in order to set the stage for growth. Some of these things could be done now in terms of government(service) consolidation, but will people be willing to give up their little identities in order to help the greater good? That is a question, among others, that needs to be answered given that the cost of living aspect is on par with most non coastal areas at this present time(give or take).

Agree 100% on both points.

I believe if we could get a regional plan for upstate, we could counter the force of the NYC metro. Depending on where you draw the line, there are 4-6 million people. While still not a majority, it still would be a force to be reckoned with. Just with Buf Roc and Syr there are 3 million people within 150 miles. Surely we can put aside our parochial desires and work together.

Old 08-10-2014, 02:10 PM

8,051 posts, read 9,463,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
I've been all over the country. The South has poor areas that are indeed third world. The Middle Class is no where near the Middle Class you see in the Northeast / Midwest (Great Lakes not dustbowl).
I also have been all over and have recently been in upstate NY for the last several days, look in your own back yard for examples of 3rd world living.

You are not the sage in determining what is middle class living......

Old 08-10-2014, 02:31 PM

56,063 posts, read 80,155,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Agree 100% on both points.

I believe if we could get a regional plan for upstate, we could counter the force of the NYC metro. Depending on where you draw the line, there are 4-6 million people. While still not a majority, it still would be a force to be reckoned with. Just with Buf Roc and Syr there are 3 million people within 150 miles. Surely we can put aside our parochial desires and work together.
I agree and some may put the population count at around 7 million. So, we're talking about a substantial amount of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or