Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 01:38 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,824,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
No way is Binghamton 4 hours from NYC. It is more like 2 and a half-3 hours. Syracuse to Binghamton is about an hour drive, as I just did it a couple of weeks ago. Many go 81 south to 380 to 80 east to get to NYC from here. Some take 17 as well.
Have you ever driven on 80 west out of NYC? Ever crossed the GWB anytime between 6 am and 9 pm? I know you think you are NYC savvy, as a Google search expert from Syracuse, but stick to what you know.

Binghamton is not, and never has been 2.5 hours from NYC. Unless you got a cop car and can drive as fast as you want
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 01:47 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,079 times
Typing you guys points into my GPS. Me and the GPS been all over the US and I've found it to be pretty spot on.

Binghamton to NYC about 3½ hours.

Syracuse to NYC 4½ hours.

Utica to NYC 4¼ hours.

This is just a generic Syracuse to NYC type thing. Getting from/to actuals point may take more or less time.

For reference I put in Oneida to NYC, a trip I have made many times and the number I came up with matches my experience. I have never used GPS to get to NYC. The way to the city from Oneida is a longer version of the Utica trip. Syracuse is a completely different way.

Old 08-13-2014, 01:01 AM

21 posts, read 24,637 times
This has turned into a argument over how fast we can get places. Does anyone have any first hand information on Ithaca, NY or any other upstate town with a good job market and good school system?

Old 08-13-2014, 05:32 AM

93,332 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnnspncr View Post
This has turned into a argument over how fast we can get places. Does anyone have any first hand information on Ithaca, NY or any other upstate town with a good job market and good school system?
Ithaca would be fine, but it isn't within the time radius you are looking for. If it isn't as big of a deal, then I'd say to go for it. I'd say to look for the job first, then go from there. You may be able to find something closer to the Bronx.

If you found something in say the Binghamton area, places like Vestal and nicer areas of Endicott or Johnson City may work for you, as each has solid to very good schools with a notable degree of diversity.

In the Utica area, New Hartford is probably the best choice as the schools are very good and there may be enough diversity, but it honestly doesn't have that much outside of a decent Asian student population and a couple of Black and Hispanic students in terms of percentage. Nearby Rome has a good amount of diversity, but the schools are ok(not the worst, but not the greatest in terms of stats).

Both of those last two areas have some insurance companies and call centers that may have something for you, but as mentioned before, distance is an issue unless you are more flexible about that.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-13-2014 at 05:41 AM..

Old 08-13-2014, 07:50 AM

Here are some companies in either Binghamton or Utica that may fit: http://www.apaccustomerservices.com

http://www.smlny.com/security-mutual-life-insurance/

https://secure.uticanational.com/mobile/Default.aspx

Home | Columbian Financial Group

Old 08-13-2014, 10:22 AM

This is another company that may work: https://www.uticafirst.com

Old 08-13-2014, 09:37 PM

Thank you so much. You have been a big help I really appreciate it!!

Old 08-14-2014, 10:49 AM

If you don't mind, this is another company that may work: Benefits administration|Employee benefits administration|Self Funded Plans

Old 08-14-2014, 04:23 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnnspncr View Post
As someone who has lived in 2 areas of NYS and another state, find a job before you even think about anything else!! Do you have a car? Living in NYC, many do not. Outside of NYC, the state is VERY car dependent especially if you want to get back to the city quickly. Buses are slow as molasses and don't run on your schedule.

If you want to within an easy 3 hour drive to the city, stick with the Albany area. Most of the area is within 2 1/2 hours depending on traffic downstate and no one knows what that will be like until you hit it.

Also, weather outside of NYC is COMPLETELY different. We actually get real winters with far more snow. Can you drive in snow?

There are plenty of good places to live, but can you afford them? Call centers don't usually pay $50 an hour.

Find a job and then figure out where you will live.

Old 08-14-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
As someone who has lived in 2 areas of NYS and another state, find a job before you even think about anything else!! Do you have a car? Living in NYC, many do not. Outside of NYC, the state is VERY car dependent especially if you want to get back to the city quickly. Buses are slow as molasses and don't run on your schedule.

If you want to within an easy 3 hour drive to the city, stick with the Albany area. Most of the area is within 2 1/2 hours depending on traffic downstate and no one knows what that will be like until you hit it.

Also, weather outside of NYC is COMPLETELY different. We actually get real winters with far more snow. Can you drive in snow?

There are plenty of good places to live, but can you afford them? Call centers don't usually pay $50 an hour.

Find a job and then figure out where you will live.
I have lived in Buffalo, NY for ten years so I and familiar with snow and I am a very good snow driver. I never said a call center paid $50 an hour, whatever that is supposed to mean. My last job upstate I was making $19/hr in a call center and that was in 2008. I don't get your point.

Last edited by dnnspncr; 08-14-2014 at 04:46 PM.. Reason: Oh and I lived in charlotte, nc for four years as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York