U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 12:52 PM

13 posts, read 15,800 times

Advertisements

I ended up in Ulster County, maybe Greene County is better. I knew I wanted to be up around here, it's been nothing but a nightmare with housing though. Where the heck do you even live around here? Hudson apparently is from what I heard, dangerous to live in. A lot of people are moving up from NYC, I'd live there but I can't afford the rents down there, I'm in debt from living in Manhattan, used to pay $2000 for some shoebox, it's just too much to handle.
First of all I'm frustrated about upstate in general, may just get out of here, there aren't decent theaters or acting schools, I wrote an acting school in Woodstock, and someone was shunning the teacher, joking that no one should consider going there. I inquired about studying there, and didn't even hear back.
I first found a two month sublet on craigslist which obviously isn't substantial, in some little village town, the woman turned out to be a nightmare, she was neurotic and she moved all my things to her living room floor when I wasn't there, I came back at midnight and all my things and clothes were stuffed in trash bags. That was a nightmare.
I then moved quickly to some estate house apartment, which turned out to be a garbage dump, the basement was full of scrap metal, the place was fowl, the people were fowl and rude, just this creepy building with a greedy landlord, and then I find out it's like $800 a month or more just to order oil to have some heat for a few weeks. No one told me that in advance, just fell into that nightmare.
I then found another place very quickly, and I'm very unhappy here.
Germantown seems like a nice place with views of the mountains, Claverack seems nice although I have never been there, Ancram looks charming too, I don't even know where you can live around here, it's just been housing nightmares up here. Apparently Catskill village is a welfare town.
I have found Woodstock to be grimy, and strange, the town is a gossip mill, I've found the restaurants just hideous, I've sat in restaurants and the people are on the phone asking their bosses if they should wait until I leave, I've never seen this strange matrix in my life. You can't even sit in a restaurant with a glass of wine without service people surrounding you.
I'm trying to avoid this 'farm culture' and Woodstock is just that. I'm an urban person, from NYC this farm thing is just old. No one can afford to pay rent in Manhattan anymore, at least I can't, I'm now stranded in the middle of nowhere. People are just strange out here, it's not like Manhattan, I've had people just come up to me on the street and just talk, blab on their life stories, Woodstock is a very strange village. I wouldn't recommend it. You can't even walk down the street without some strange boy walking up to you, hitting on you and stopping you in conversation! It's really creepy. I'm walking along this nature path, and people stop you and bombard you with conversation.

I just wonder where there are some decent places to live. I've heard Rhineback is snotty, just rich Republican girls walking around, Saugerties Village turned out to be just this drinking town of teenagers.
I've had nothing but a nightmare of housing situations up here, they've been consuming, I've been here for a year. I don't know what's going on, I'm exhausted and living out of boxes. I'd like to just boot out of here or buy some land and build my own house, where do you even find land? The newspapers or internet sites? Realtors? I wonder if there's anywhere you can just go, and claim land that isn't owned by anyone! All these thousands of miles of hills and mountains in the Catskills or near by, I can't really afford to buy land right now or I would.
You live up here, in upstate NY because you can't afford to pay rents in NYC, and then you just end up wanting to commute to the city, because you feel so stuck up here. Horrible catch-22, I'm exhausted, I've just had apartments nightmares over and over. I came up here for a project and it's been on the way-side.

The other thing is there's no cell phone reception here, I'd need to change my carrier! Only a few work. I've already changed before when living down the road in another place.

Guess I just ran into bad luck over and over, but hunting down apartments had been a nightmare a while back! I called this one guy, and some other tenant shows it, they have a packrat stuck in there and don't know when they can get the guy out, met a realtor at gary dimauro and this great place had been rented right there when I got there, I guess they double book. Thanks for nothing Gary dimauro, I drove like 5 hours and the place was rented.

Last edited by peekytrees; 08-17-2014 at 01:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 02:42 PM

56,255 posts, read 80,427,244 times
Maybe you could move further Upstate, but I don't know what exactly you are looking for.

Old 08-17-2014, 05:40 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,470,615 times
Sounds to me like you shouldn't have moved upstate to begin with. You don't like small towns, rural settings, farms, village gossip, "snotty"college towns, limited cultural venues, or poor people. Perhaps you need to figure a way to make more money and move back to Manhattan, because you're obviously miserable.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:41 PM

222 posts, read 588,202 times
Have you considered the New Paltz area? Rosendale is a nice town, and a lot of New Yorkers also like Stone Ridge, High Falls, Kerhonkson and Accord in Ulster County.

About the Catskills, you don't need to buy land there. There are many houses for sale and the rents are low. Just check out a realtor to help you with your search. I have lived in the West Village for over 30 years and have a 3-bedroom house with two acres in Sullivan County which I love. My house cost less than half of what a nice studio apt. in the west village would cost. And the mortgage is not even half of what you were paying each month for your shoebox.

I agree with you about Woodstock. I found it quite disappointing. I don't know where you will find acting classes in the area. Perhaps a college with a theater department? People don't come up to Ulster or Sullivan County for theater. Most people from the city come up to buy a nice property, enjoy the wildlife, hiking, gardening, and quiet times. I think you might be happier in a larger city like Rochester, Syracuse or Buffalo. I understand that Buffalo has a good music scene.

Rochester has a lot of cultural life, though, of course, it cannot compare to Manhattan. The city of Rochester has some bad areas, but there are many nice suburban areas that are close to the downtown area. Housing prices are really low, and there are a lot of good colleges in the area.

Good luck in your search. Avail yourself of city-data. People can be very helpful if you ask the right questions.

Last edited by galee; 08-17-2014 at 07:42 PM.. Reason: word missing

Old 08-17-2014, 07:46 PM

Thanks for the advice Galee!
I've heard New Paltz is really cute--a college town too.

Old 08-17-2014, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Maybe you could move further Upstate, but I don't know what exactly you are looking for.

thank you!

Old 08-19-2014, 01:13 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,017,218 times
Spend a few hours in Beacon. Very up and coming arts scene- in fact I would say it's already arrived. Pick up an issue of Hudson Valley Magazine or check them out online. They list almost every single arts event and fair throughout the valley on both sides of the river. Pick one or two fairs and GO. Ask the vendors and attendees where they like to set up shop. Join networking groups for the arts. There is a playhouse in Columbia County - the name escapes me. Perhaps someone on this thread knows what I'm referring to.

Personally I've been to all the towns you mentioned in your OP. Of course no place is perfect, but I think you do yourself a disservice by generalizing & buying into the stereotypes. I would hardly say Rhinebeck is a Republican snob-fest. Every town you mentioned - I could find more to like about them, than dislike. If you have a dependable vehicle, get out and explore. Make up your own mind. Good luck!

Old 08-19-2014, 01:22 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,017,218 times
Just remembered it.

MacHaydn theater in Chatham.
Also Capital Rep in Albany.

Both live theatre with local AND national talent. Also look into summer stock in Williamstown, MA. Lots of people got their start there. Honestly the Hudson Valley & Berkshires are chock full of both opportunities and success stories. If you want it bad enough, no reason you can't work hard to attain it.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:28 PM

2,328 posts, read 5,042,731 times
Try Beacon. It's a small and somewhat gritty city with a Metro North stop. It's the type of place where on one block you could have a black family, a Hispanic family, an artist/hipster family, a Brooklyn transplant family, and an old-time white blue-collar family. Seems like most people get along. There is a real downtown that is pretty nice (but not "that" nice, if you know what I mean).

Old 08-21-2014, 11:47 PM

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
Just remembered it.

MacHaydn theater in Chatham.
Also Capital Rep in Albany.

Both live theatre with local AND national talent. Also look into summer stock in Williamstown, MA. Lots of people got their start there. Honestly the Hudson Valley & Berkshires are chock full of both opportunities and success stories. If you want it bad enough, no reason you can't work hard to attain it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or