Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 11:33 AM

2 posts, read 3,996 times

Advertisements

Possibility I'll be moving to the area for a job with my 15 year old daughter in tow. Naturally she'll want to be near shopping, a mall, etc. How far out of Bath will I need to look for housing to be close to such amenities? Please answer if you can!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 12:09 PM

308 posts, read 506,351 times
How far of a commute are you willing to take on?

Old 08-30-2014, 12:18 PM

93,302 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Corning will be your best bet. It is home to Fortune 500 company Corning Incorporated and its Market Street in its Downtown's Gaffer District is a nice walkability area with shops and where events take place. It is only 23 miles away, give or take. So, it is within a reasonable commute. It will also put you closer to the Arnot Mall in Big Flats, a suburb of nearby Elmira. There is other big box shopping there and Corning has a little bit as well.

Corning has 2 high schools(for now) in Corning-Painted Post West and C-PP West. They share sports programs as well. I believe that both have International Baccalaureate programs too. If you aren't happy with those schools, then Notre Dame Jr/Sr High in Elmira could be an option and there may be a small Christian school in Corning too.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-30-2014 at 12:33 PM..

Old 08-30-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Corning will be your best bet. It is home to Fortune 500 company Corning Incorporated and its Market Street in its Downtown's Gaffer District is a nice walkability area with shops and where events take place. It is only 23 miles away, give or take. So, it is within a reasonable commute. It will also put you closer to the Arnot Mall in Big Flats, a suburb of nearby Elmira. There is other big box shopping there and Corning has a little bit as well.

Corning has 2 high schools(for now) in Corning-Painted Post West and C-PP West. They share sports programs as well. I believe that both have International Baccalaureate programs too. If you aren't happy with those schools, then Notre Dame Jr/Sr High in Elmira could be an option and there may be a small Christian school in Corning too.
Depending on how far you are willing to drive, Big Flats may be another option and some children attend either Corning or Horseheads Schools.

Old 08-30-2014, 01:12 PM

5,300 posts, read 6,179,553 times
How often does you daughter need to go shopping at the mall? The villages of Bath and nearby Hammondsport are very nice places to live. The farther away from shopping, the fuller your purse will stay.

Old 08-30-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
How often does you daughter need to go shopping at the mall? The villages of Bath and nearby Hammondsport are very nice places to live. The farther away from shopping, the fuller your purse will stay.
Good point. That is why I thought that Corning could be a happy medium, as it has enough, but is in between Bath and the Arnot Mall/big box shopping in Big Flats. Here's some interesting information about Corning: Home : Corning's Gaffer District
Action News on the Road 2014 - Corning NY - YouTube
https://www.planning.org/greatplaces/streets/2013/

Corning, New York - Best of the Road
Corning, NY: Most Fun Small Town in America - YouTube

Corning: Inside The Crystal City - YouTube

Bath is a nice community and while I haven't been to Hammondsport, I have heard very good things about it.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-30-2014 at 04:04 PM..

Old 08-30-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Good point. That is why I thought that Corning could be a happy medium, as it has enough, but is in between Bath and the Arnot Mall/big box shopping in Big Flats. Here's some interesting information about Corning: Home : Corning's Gaffer District

Action News on the Road 2014 - Corning NY - YouTube
https://www.planning.org/greatplaces/streets/2013/

Corning, New York - Best of the Road

Corning, NY: Most Fun Small Town in America - YouTube

Corning: Inside The Crystal City - YouTube

Bath is a nice community and while I haven't been to Hammondsport, I have heard very good things about it.
Here is some information on Hammondsport:
Hammondsport, New York is America's Coolest Small Town {Finger Lakes Wine Country} - YouTube

Old 08-30-2014, 04:53 PM

Here's some shopping inofrmation: COR Companies | Erwin Center, Painted Post NY

Business Directory : Corning's Gaffer District

Arnot Mall

Old 08-30-2014, 06:56 PM

Also, if Big Flats and the Corning area don't do it for you, your only other option would be suburbs and towns south of Rochester. Henrietta has just about all of the big box shopping you can ask for.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:59 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,039,711 times
Arnot and the Big Flats area have the typical mainstay mall stores like Macy's, American Eagle, Old Navy etc. For more upscale shopping (JCrew, Sephora, etc) you'd go to Victor, just east of Rochester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York