U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 07:03 PM

198 posts, read 702,385 times

Advertisements

we may be moving there and i am doing some preliminary research on the apartment complexes that are available for rent.

Also how is the commute from New Hartford to Cooperstown?

So far through google i have found the Lewiston Homes apartment complexes, are these pretty good?

We would be looking to rent a 2b/ 1.5 bath for about 1 year , maybe more, but after that point we would look to buy. We would like rent to be 1k and under, is this realistic?

What other area are in the New Hartford School district but not new hartford itself

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 07:41 PM

59,342 posts, read 84,129,768 times
You should be able to find something for under 1k. Are you going to work in Cooperstown? If so, then I would look into Oneonta instead.

Here are some other apartments in New Hartford: Hillside Garden Apartments – New Hartford, NY » APARTMENTS

1 and 2 Bedroom Townhouses and Apartments for Sale, New Hartford, NY

Here is some more info about the school district: New Hartford Central School District

Old 09-09-2014, 04:48 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,611,123 times
New Hartford to Cooperstown is gonna be a jawdroppingly beautiful drive that will get super old real fast.

Any way you go its over an hour drive under ideal conditions. And many days conditions will be far from ideal. There are no direct highways connecting those two points. Shortcuts on local roads will be unlikely during winter. Even the main roads of 8/20/28/80 used in combination will be at best somewhat plowed and its VERY hilly with narrow roads and low/no shoulders.

It can be done I'm just saying expect many days with double the commute times and some real white knuckle driving.

Old 09-10-2014, 05:24 PM

okay so this move is now 100% happening as my husband has accepted the job offer.

we thought of new hartford because we mainly are moving off long island to give the kids a better school system and to have a better life. His boss commutes from New Hartford to Cooperstown.

He is used to a commute from Suffolk Long island into naussau, always taking about 1 hour 15 min and that is because of traffic.

Is the commute so bad to sway us somewhere else? if it snows too much they work from home.

I am just not sure on if there is a comparable school district ?

Old 09-10-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malishka31 View Post
okay so this move is now 100% happening as my husband has accepted the job offer.

we thought of new hartford because we mainly are moving off long island to give the kids a better school system and to have a better life. His boss commutes from New Hartford to Cooperstown.

He is used to a commute from Suffolk Long island into naussau, always taking about 1 hour 15 min and that is because of traffic.

Is the commute so bad to sway us somewhere else? if it snows too much they work from home.

I am just not sure on if there is a comparable school district ?
Like Sean stated, it is doable, but it isn't a highway commute and winter may be a pain. I don't know if Sauquoit Valley, Clinton or Cooperstown would be good enough, but they may be worth a look. Perhaps Mount Markham, Waterville or Richfield Springs as well. Oneonta comes to mind too.

While this isn't the be all, end all, it can give an idea about school districts: 2013 Utica-Rome Area school district rankings - Business First

Pittsford retains first place as suburbs dominate Upstate New York school rankings - Business First

2013 Upstate New York school district rankings - Business First

One last thing is that the Washington Mills/Chadwicks area may work in terms of New Hartford Schools and being a little bit closer to Cooperstown.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-10-2014 at 06:28 PM..

Old 09-10-2014, 06:42 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,611,123 times
Washington Mills is New Hartford but I get what your saying.

Being able to work from home changes things somewhat.

Another area to look at is Ilion or, reaching here, Herkimer. 28 or 51 will be somewhat plowed in winter. 51 is very twisty and 28 darn near a vertical drop but on nice days they cut a lot of miles.

Valley schools are alright. They don't have the money of suburban schools but they don't have gangs either.

Anything in between is VERY small town or country. Which of coarse I like but no everybody does.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Washington Mills is New Hartford but I get what your saying.

Being able to work from home changes things somewhat.

Another area to look at is Ilion or, reaching here, Herkimer. 28 or 51 will be somewhat plowed in winter. 51 is very twisty and 28 darn near a vertical drop but on nice days they cut a lot of miles.

Valley schools are alright. They don't have the money of suburban schools but they don't have gangs either.

Anything in between is VERY small town or country. Which of coarse I like but no everybody does.
Good points, especially about how working from home changes things.

I was thinking, OP, that perhaps you can rent first in New Hartford and if/when you are ready to buy, perhaps you can look into Washington Mills, Chadwicks, Sauquoit, etc. At least with Route 8, it is a four lane highway from Sauquoit into Utica and you can get to shopping within a reasonable time, along with being within a doable distance of Cooperstown.

According to the rankings, Little Falls and Frankfort-Schuyler seem to be the highest ranked of the Valley SD's(if that matters).

Old 09-13-2014, 10:10 AM

We have to be there by October 13, giving us about 30 days , so far it appears we may have to opt for Clinton . It's not as easy as I thought to find an apartment in new hartford or surrounding areas really. Should we hire a realtor? I am not sure if the assist in finding a rental or how much they charge. We want to keep cost down .

Old 09-13-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malishka31 View Post
We have to be there by October 13, giving us about 30 days , so far it appears we may have to opt for Clinton . It's not as easy as I thought to find an apartment in new hartford or surrounding areas really. Should we hire a realtor? I am not sure if the assist in finding a rental or how much they charge. We want to keep cost down .
Did you look into the apartments in New Hartford I posted earlier in the thread? Clinton is a fine community as well, with good schools.

Old 09-13-2014, 01:25 PM

119 posts, read 266,828 times
I just spent the week in Clinton visiting family. It's a great small village. An excellent place to go for walks any time of the day. The elementary, middle and high schools are all right next to each other in the center of town. The schools have a good reputation.

I noticed a For Rent sign at the Clinton House apartments on one of my walks. I'm guessing that's the place you found. They appeared well kept. Only a few units, I think. Not a big complex. And right across the street from the schools.

This realtor was based on the main street in town and had several For Sale signs up around the area:

- Pondra's Homes & Hearth Realty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or