U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New York Residents: Who Are You Voting For 2014?
Andrew Cuomo 14 32.56%
Rob Astorino 25 58.14%
Howie Halkins 4 9.30%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 09:07 AM

137 posts, read 173,494 times

Advertisements

Yay Cuomo corruption.....

No-Limit Contributions Boost Cuomo - WNYC

Im sure he appreciates your votes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 04:02 AM

4,832 posts, read 2,328,783 times
Watched the debate last night and as a Democrat, I was very impressed with Astorino. I personally thought Cuomo was all stuff and fluff. He talked about job growth and yet associates and I are still looking for good paying jobs to replace the ones we lost - I don't think we'll ever find them. I have many friends who left NY due to high taxes, stagnant employment, more gov't involvement in a person's life ect.. since Cuomo took office. My son left and took a job in Alabama - his friends are in Michigan, Kentucky, Florida and California - so the young ones aren't staying here Their reasons - job growth - taxes ( yes even the kids realize we're overtaxed ) and to get out from under the oppression with all these enacted laws and policies, most of which never did have public approval.

They love to come back and visit - miss the pizza, wings and weck - but would never move back into this state again - and it's sad because NY has so much to offer.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:27 AM

137 posts, read 173,494 times
Cuomo is delusional.

Lowest taxes in 40 years? Ask the people in Washingtonville how they feel about that statement....
"Village property owners got an unwelcome surprise in their mail recently — tax bills for fiscal 2014-15 carrying a 25 percent increase."

Washingtonville property tax bills jump 25 percent - News - recordonline.com - Middletown, NY

His taxes claims are ricidulous. The jobs added have been low wage jobs, not enough to live on.Higher paying jobs are still leaving.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:29 AM

4 posts, read 3,204 times
You shouldn't make the results public. No need to have any users at risk for labeling. http://lifehealthus.com/image/images/122.gif

Old 10-24-2014, 09:59 PM

4,135 posts, read 9,396,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post

Who will Hawkins be taking votes from: Astorino or Cuomo?
Both, but better to vote for a horse who has a chance!

Old 10-25-2014, 06:08 AM

56,281 posts, read 80,465,056 times
Here's the debate by topic: Videos: New York State gubernatiorial debate, broken down by question - Politics Now

Old 10-25-2014, 06:10 AM

56,281 posts, read 80,465,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Watched the debate last night and as a Democrat, I was very impressed with Astorino. I personally thought Cuomo was all stuff and fluff. He talked about job growth and yet associates and I are still looking for good paying jobs to replace the ones we lost - I don't think we'll ever find them. I have many friends who left NY due to high taxes, stagnant employment, more gov't involvement in a person's life ect.. since Cuomo took office. My son left and took a job in Alabama - his friends are in Michigan, Kentucky, Florida and California - so the young ones aren't staying here Their reasons - job growth - taxes ( yes even the kids realize we're overtaxed ) and to get out from under the oppression with all these enacted laws and policies, most of which never did have public approval.

They love to come back and visit - miss the pizza, wings and weck - but would never move back into this state again - and it's sad because NY has so much to offer.
What kind of jobs are you looking for? Here is an interesting thread from the City vs. City forum: Geography of Jobs Map: 1999 - 2014 [United States Metropolitan Areas]

Old 10-28-2014, 06:56 PM

1,434 posts, read 2,110,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Opin_yunated:
Oh yea, well check out Yonkers, Mt Vernon, Ossining, Sleepy Hollow. Those are just in Westchester. I can probably find a hell of a lot more but it just so happened Peekskill is where I lived and that is the school district that I am most familiar with. I'll bet that all of New York's major cities have plenty of lousy schools districts. Just a coincidence that those major cities are all run by Democrats and the corrupt teachers unions that control them. The point is spending $22,000 per pupil does not bring results. Idiot! That is why your credibility is lacking. New York's only answer to fixing the schools is "MORE MONEY" there's never enough regardless of results. The only ones that benefit are the administration, teachers, school employees and the politicians that employ them. There are good school districts and bad ones no matter which state you live in. So what's your point? I am not familiar with New York City schools but there are a number of bad ones. How about the famous "rubber rooms" where they place incompetent teachers with pay? Thanks to your beloved Teachers Union.

Another article, this one relates to New York City Schools

Don't give me this crap about how great New York's schools are.

The crazy thing is how little all these schoosl in NY use free tech to help their students. For example, the Khan academy is running a program that allows districts to use their tech to help students. Only very few schools use it. I wonder why? I noticed some schools are narrowly focused on athletics (not academics) which is setting up kids for failure. I agree Unions are doing more harm than good. Harm for the students and good for the teachers at the taxpayers expense. Do you know how teachers that couldn't and shouldn't be teaching were on tenure when I was a student? What other professions do this?

Cuomo talks a good game but when it comes to the facts, he is a crooked, lying politican. He won't release the Tappan Zee financial documents because VOTERS WOULD VOTE HIM OUT! How do you contemplate building a bridge when you don't have the finances in order? Only democrats can come up with such logic. They make it sound the bridge was going to fall down anyday. Explain how they maintain 100yr old bridges? The bridge wasn't even part of the Port Authority! Just a scam to get money, get votes from the Unions, and f-k the ppl again. Cuomo is rich and lives in Westchester, so he doesn't know the pinch ppl are feeling on the other side of the bridge. You think he would have the vision and foresight to include a train? Of course not.....no long term economical vision at all.

Last edited by Mistertee; 10-28-2014 at 08:21 PM..

Old 10-28-2014, 08:00 PM

3,239 posts, read 1,849,791 times
Mistertee:
I'm with ya' Mistertee! You hit the nail right on the head! Public employees unions have got it made at your expense. Glad to hear you're not falling for all that crap "it's for the children".
Quote:
Explain how they maintain 100yr old bridges?
The Brooklyn Bridge is still standing. I guess they just don't build them like they used to. They built the Empire State Building in a little over a year. Today, they still haven't completed "Ground Zero". Times sure have changed! Just you wait and see what the final bill for the TZB will be, I'll bet it will be a lot higher than the projected 3.9 billion. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/26/ny...-funding.html? According to the Journal News:
Quote:
The Journal News first reported last week that cash tolls, which are now $5, could climb into the $14 range to cover the cost of a new bridge. Commuters on a discount plan would pay around $8.40, a major jump from the $3 they currently pay to cross the three-mile span.
Christ, that's $42 a week or $2184 a year just to cross the bridge to commute to a job! Then there's the cost of gas. I'll bet the tolls will probably be even higher when all is said and done. I'm glad I'm out of New York but I've still got friends and relatives there, my sister will be leaving soon. Geez, I hope she can sell her house. Does Cuomo care? Did he ever?

Old 10-29-2014, 05:05 PM

1,129 posts, read 1,070,334 times
It is kind of obvious, Cuomo is going to win...

I am undecided still. Cuomo and Astor*** both suck, and dont know enough about Hawkins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or