U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 07:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,284 times

Advertisements

Hey,
Born and raised in New York City.

Artist, person of color, don't drive, what's a good diverse, artsy town I can move to and see trees, hike, get the heck out of the city... over the hustle and bustle, noise.

Mainly interested in walking town convenience, nature, peace quiet and culture.

THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 07:59 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,471,357 times
Do you want to own or rent, and what is your budget?

Old 09-30-2014, 08:11 PM

56,278 posts, read 80,465,056 times
Depending on what you consider to be Upstate, Beacon comes to mind right away. Perhaps places in the Hudson Valley like Hudson, Catskill, Kingston, New Paltz and Saugerties.

Further into Upstate, I'd say Ithaca would be a good choice. Perhaps places like Auburn, Oneonta, Geneva and maybe a couple of others like Glens Falls and Corning may be possibilities too.

Communities with a college also come to mind, as well as parts of the mid and bigger sized cities up here.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:16 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,471,357 times
Chalk it up to the fact I have older kids, but what can be realistically afforded?

I know, crazy crazy me.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:24 AM

390 posts, read 431,517 times
Sugar Loaf, Warwick, New Paltz are the ones that immediately come to mind. Maybe Montgomery in Orange County.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:16 PM

7,846 posts, read 5,268,936 times
I would check out Elmwood Village in Buffalo.

One doesn't need a car in Buffalo and there are plenty of parks within the city. As for nature, one can be out in the country with just a 30 minute drive North, South, or East. If you are a cyclist, the peace bridge is just 1-2 miles West from Elmwood village. The Canadian side past Fort Erie has plenty of nature, with miles of trails all accessible from Buffalo by bicycle.

Old 10-03-2014, 12:54 AM

1,492 posts, read 1,325,011 times
Rochester has the largest artistic economy in upstate NY. Into photography? There's the International Museum of Photography at the George Eastman House (founder of Kodak), RIT has many photography courses and I'm not sure if the Visual Studies Workshop is still around. Many walkable, artsy neighborhoods--East End, Park Ave, Neighborhood of the Arts, Monroe Ave, Swillburg, South Wedge.

Lots of walking/ bike trails within the city, especially along the Genesee River. There is a 100' waterfall in downtown, and 2 more large ones downstream. Feels like you are in the middle of nowhere, surrounded with trees and wildlife, but footsteps to civilization.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:25 AM

56,278 posts, read 80,465,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Rochester has the largest artistic economy in upstate NY. Into photography? There's the International Museum of Photography at the George Eastman House (founder of Kodak), RIT has many photography courses and I'm not sure if the Visual Studies Workshop is still around. Many walkable, artsy neighborhoods--East End, Park Ave, Neighborhood of the Arts, Monroe Ave, Swillburg, South Wedge.

Lots of walking/ bike trails within the city, especially along the Genesee River. There is a 100' waterfall in downtown, and 2 more large ones downstream. Feels like you are in the middle of nowhere, surrounded with trees and wildlife, but footsteps to civilization.
Good point and if he doesn't want the city, I would think that some of the surrounding villages could/may work as well.

Old 10-03-2014, 08:30 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,361,484 times
Default artsy

The first place that entered my mind was New Paltz, far from NYC, kinda near thruway should u have to/want to bus it, plenty of crafts, arts , culture.

Old 10-03-2014, 09:31 AM

466 posts, read 826,111 times
Rochester has a fantastic arts community if that's not too far upstate for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or