U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 08:45 AM

291 posts, read 310,877 times

Advertisements

I am from the Pacific Northwest and work in Seattle. I have been to New York, Washington DC, and Boston as a tourist, but have not lived on the East Coast.

I work in a public building so when people approach me I usually try to help them find their way around.

The other day while entering work, a man stopped me and asked my ethnicity (out of nowhere). I'm thinking, did I just travel in time back to 1995? Okay, fair enough though. He says he's new to the city from New York and looking to meet other people "like him". Like, where is the Hispanic neighborhood. He says he just arrived here and is looking for a place to live. I asked him what neighborhood he worked in and he said he wasn't looking for work. So, Seattle might be cheap by New York standards but who doesn't work?

Anyway as I realize he is just a totally random person and not a member of the public trying to use our services, and this is looking more like a pick-up/I don't even know what, I'm trying to extract myself from the conversation since I'm on working hours. He starts asking me more about where Latinas live, whether I live in Seattle, where he can meet more people like me because he wants to meet "his kind" of girls. He had no plans, no job--but he was definitely with it, decent car, normal clothes, normal accent and polite language. No front license plate though, which I usually only see on hick cars or gang cars, in other words, if you don't have a front license plate in my opinion your chances of having a gun in the car go up by like 10,000%, but hey, I'm not from the East Coast so maybe it's different out there. Then he asked me how to get to neighboring cities, like, directions to the freeway. If we had started with directions, I would have gotten the point, but by that point it felt like he was trying to drag out the conversation.

So, I cannot figure out what the heck this was all about. Was this guy trying to pick my pocket? Pick me up (I wear a ring)? Marking me for a future mugging? Am I going to be on reality TV/YouTube for my stupidity? Or do these kinds of conversations randomly happen out of nowhere in New York and he was just hoping to talk to a total stranger about ethnic ghettos in Seattle? Why come here with no idea of where you are going in the city?

The reason I'm asking is that I want to know if it is suspicious behavior. Between the no-front-license plate, the directions, the questions about whether I worked there, I feel it's on the fence. But I didn't get any bad vibes from this guy. He was totally polite, well-spoken, stayed at a distance.

Thanks and sorry for sounding like such a paranoid freak. I walk up a very empty staircase to work and I'm usually taking normal precautions but I just can't get this conversation out of my head. I took the elevator today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 09:09 AM

390 posts, read 431,402 times
Based on what you said, I got the feeling that your instincts were telling you that something was just not right. Live and learn. And this can happen anywhere. It does not have to be on the East Coast.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:41 AM

291 posts, read 310,877 times
Thanks. I don't mean to say that PUAs only operate on the East Coast. But this guy said he was from out of town so I was thinking... well, different cultures, different ways of being, right? Who knows? People are always whining online about Seattle not being friendly so I thought perhaps in other places, it would be totally normal to go up to a random stranger of the opposite sex and ask about ethnographic trends and the dating scene.

Old 10-04-2014, 05:21 AM

338 posts, read 403,330 times
Not all states require a front license plate. Was the back license plate a NY one?

Old 10-05-2014, 01:35 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,262,050 times
NY requires front and rear plates.

Trust your insticts, OP.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:40 AM

400 posts, read 460,324 times
I would check the most wanted list and use caution when alone. He sounds like he is up to no good. We have double plates In NY, front and back are required.

Old 10-07-2014, 01:56 PM

157 posts, read 289,330 times
Many car enthusiasts will not run front plates because they're hideously ugly and do not flow with a front bumper like a European plate. Laws aside, it's just something we do for aesthetics on our sports cars.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:03 AM

2,492 posts, read 2,355,093 times
I live in NC and we don't do front plates. None of the surrounding states either. Sounds like he may have been harmlessly flirting.Don't bash me but this sounds like a perfect example of "Seattle Freeze". East coast and the South are much less reserved then PNW. I kept reading thinking so what did he do that was so weird? I read the Seattle forum a lot and men complain how hard it is to meet women there. They say that females act scared if you approach them. I have never lived there so I figured it was an exaggeration but hmm......

Old 10-08-2014, 07:59 PM

1,206 posts, read 904,718 times
As RJS5689 states, it's actually very common for car enthusiasts to not run front license plates. Heck I haven't had front license plates in many years and I'm far from a gang member lol. And truth be told, if it's obvious that you don't have front plates for aesthetic reasons, then cops will actually not bother you at all about them. I never get any flack for not having the front plates.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:22 PM

23 posts, read 21,445 times
I think, it is not a normal for this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or