U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 01:57 PM

137 posts, read 172,881 times

Advertisements

Race isnt a concern here at all as youre not going to find anywhere more diverse. Mixed couples everywhere(including myself), black, latino, middle eastern, asian, gay... dont even think about that.

John Jay high school is rated as one of the best in the state.

Your about 90 minutes from NYC taking the Taconic. Train access through Beacon. 84 goes right through here for trips to Connecticut. A hour south is Northern NJ and west is PA.

Beacon, Fishkill, Cold Spring and some other surrounding areas have cafes. Good eats around here including a Italian bakery in Hopewell that makes fresh bread and pasta (delicious ! that cooks in 3 mins). You can get good Italian, Japanese, Mexican food... and if you search you can find some good other stuff like German in New Paltz (Im moving to Virginia and have to say,the food options here are prob what Ill miss most).

BTW, the posts above are mixing up Hosner Mountain Rd with Route 52. When 84 backs up, people will often take 52, which goes past the IBM and through 9 and into Fishkill. No one knows how to get around traffic using HMR.I should know, I live on it!

Some years back Hopewell Juntion appeared on a best places to live in the US list.

Pack your bags and buy our house.

Last edited by Scorpio1969; 10-12-2014 at 02:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 06:03 AM

137 posts, read 172,881 times
As the post about pollution...
A Resident Outraged - Hudson Valley Magazine - November 2009 - Poughkeepsie, NY

I would also not want to live near the IBM site of course.

We get our water from a artensian well. Its excellent.

Quote:
We are a Black family with 2 school aged kids and are very curious to know how receptive the area is to people of color as it appears there that there are not many according to stats online.
I wonder about the stats and how accurate they are sometimes. Hopewell junction is just one town in a very populated area. Surrounding areas include Lagrange, Wappinger Falls, Fishkill and Pouhgkeepsie. There werent race issues in the Orange/Dutchess area 30 years ago, so there certainly arent now. People have been moving to these areas from the city forever.

Old 10-13-2014, 09:03 AM

56,066 posts, read 80,155,010 times
Actually, the Poughkeepsie-Newbuegh-Middletown metro area is one of the most integrated metros in the US and it also has one of the smallest Black/White per capita income gaps in the US. So, I think you would be fine, OP and if you want to know where i got that info from, I'll post it later.

Perhaps look into Highland Falls, which is near West Point and I believe gets some families affiliated with the US Military Academy. Cornwall may be another area to look into, as could the Spackenkill area just outside of Poughkeepsie. Beacon may be another place, but I'm not sure about the schools.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:35 AM

192 posts, read 340,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually, the Poughkeepsie-Newbuegh-Middletown metro area is one of the most integrated metros in the US and it also has one of the smallest Black/White per capita income gaps in the US. So, I think you would be fine, OP and if you want to know where i got that info from, I'll post it later.

Perhaps look into Highland Falls, which is near West Point and I believe gets some families affiliated with the US Military Academy. Cornwall may be another area to look into, as could the Spackenkill area just outside of Poughkeepsie. Beacon may be another place, but I'm not sure about the schools.
Those are great ideas and useful info but a couple of things to keep in mind...

Spackenkill is closer to Route 9 and while great for shopping, the commute will be longer as it is both further from the Taconic, I-84, and I-684 and further north. Also while it is a better district, the school taxes are higher than nearby Poughkeepsie as it is much smaller so there are less houses to divide it over.

As for Highland Falls and Cornwall, commuting from those could be a little harder. I honestly have no idea what the train schedules are like compared to Beacon and Brewster, but if you want to get into NYC you will have to cross the river which means a connection in northern NJ. Trying to get to Westchester would probably mean driving and I'm not sure how the on-going construction on the Tappan Zee Bridge will affect you. Personally I would stick to the east side of the river if you are mainly going into Westchester and NYC, others may find it works for them.

Old 11-05-2017, 08:20 AM

1 posts, read 617 times
Hi Redkingmom,

I'm new to this forum and came across your post, as my fiancé and I are planning to move to Hopewell Junction. We share your concerns and am wondering, 3 years later, whether you successfully made the move? If so, what are your thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York