U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2014, 07:08 PM

7 posts, read 7,261 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am seeking info about price ranges for 1 bedroom apartments in the Hudson Valley area. I am just scoping out options for my next move. My husband and I are from upstate Ny (by Massena) and moved to Brooklyn last year. After he graduated from his MFA program in May he wants to stay near the metro north line.
I just want to get a feel for the price ranges of towns on the metro north line! If anyone has any info that would help! (Along with my own online research).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 01:51 PM

715 posts, read 2,139,382 times
Does it matter how far you are from New York? Commutes can vary from 30 minutes if you live in Westchester County to 1 hour and 30 minutes if you live in Orange or Dutchess. Of course, you'll pay more for the shorter commute. Here is a map of the Metro North lines, which could help with your search.

In Orange or Dutchess, I would expect to pay around $800/month for a decent one bedroom place (towns to search: Beacon, Fishkill, Wappingers in Dutchess; Town of Newburgh, Monroe, Chester, Washingtonville, Cornwall, Goshen, Middletown, Montgomery in Orange). A Hudson Rivertown like Cold Spring or Peekskill could suite you as well; or perhaps Brewster or Carmel in the eastern interior of the Hudson Valley.

Old 10-13-2014, 03:36 PM

Thank you for your reply Dreamshot!

I am not really too concerned with the commute time. I think an 1 hr and 1/2 is not too bad considering I only think my husband would go in for special occasions.

Thank you for giving me town names to search! Is there an online newspaper that could be used for apartment searches? When I use online sources they usually list bigger buildings and such and I am interested in houses with apartments inside and such.

Thank you so much for your help!

Old 10-14-2014, 07:14 AM

468 posts, read 458,828 times
Monroe-woodbury area is 1100-2300 for a small to large house. Herald Record is the Hudson Valley newspaper. LoHud is another.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:41 AM

192 posts, read 341,941 times
The Poughkeepsie Journal (The Poughkeepsie Journal) would cover you in Dutchess County (i.e. Fishkill, Beacon, Poughkeepsie). I have also seen a number of local commercially run complexes on apartments.com. Those will cover you on the Hudson Line, there is also the Harlem Valley Line which runs from the Brewster area which is quite reliable, also gets you to Grand Central just on a more inland route, and is sometimes less crowded.

Do you require something that is walkable to Metro North or just within a short drive? That can make a huge difference.

Old 10-14-2014, 03:59 PM

26 posts, read 125,935 times
Craigslist has many listings.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:17 PM

715 posts, read 2,139,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haller3122 View Post
Thank you for your reply Dreamshot!

I am not really too concerned with the commute time. I think an 1 hr and 1/2 is not too bad considering I only think my husband would go in for special occasions.

Thank you for giving me town names to search! Is there an online newspaper that could be used for apartment searches? When I use online sources they usually list bigger buildings and such and I am interested in houses with apartments inside and such.

Thank you so much for your help!
Craigslist is probably your best option, as others have said. You could try the Times Herald Record (hudsonvalley.com) too. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any other questions!

Old 10-27-2014, 08:09 PM

Wow! Thank you all so much for your help! This is the nicest response I have had to moving anywhere. Haha.

It would be wonderful to be within walking distance of the Metro--but we would purchase a car, so I don't think it would be a requirement. A friend of ours rented a one bedroom in Poughkeepsie within walking distance of the metro that was $900 a month.

Thank you all so much! I really, sincerely appreciate your help! I was loosing hope of ever getting out of NYC, but the assistance is giving me hope!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or