Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 11:58 AM

12 posts, read 24,197 times

Advertisements

Hello there. I'm a newby on this forum, so if I am posting this in the wrong spot, please forgive me. I am an unmarried, public elementary school teacher, in her early 40's who is a considering relocating from the Bay Area to Upstate New York. I make a respectable living here in the Bay (about 60K/yr) and I'm lucky enough to have a rent-controlled apartment in an urban area, but 60K doesn't go very far in the Bay. I'm sure, as you know, the Bay Area has exploded in the last few years rent-wise and population-wise and, as I get older, I find myself growing a bit weary of urban living and being in the center of the affectionately nicknamed "shark tank." I'm longing to live in a quaint, little town...where everyone knows your name. :-) I've lived in California my whole life, so I'm ready for a change. I've been told by many people to check out Upstate New York. Do any of you know of cute, friendly towns with affordable rents that are near school districts with decent pay for teachers? I'm willing to commute a bit, if I have to. I'm sure that teacher salaries vary from district to district in New York just like they do in California. In California, a first year teacher can make anywhere from 35K/yr to $85K/yr, depending on the district - quite a range! I have 5 yrs teaching experience and a Masters.

Thank you so much for any suggestions!

Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 12:45 PM

93,294 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Have you looked into teaching positions in Upstate NY school districts? Do you have any other criteria for the type of community you want live in?

If you haven't searched yet, this may help: https://www.pnwboces.org/TeacherAppl...n/default.aspx

Old 06-29-2015, 01:27 PM

That is such a helpful website, thank you!!! I have done some research into school districts and I found an article which has a helpful tool that allows one to look up the salary scale for each district in New York.

I'm not necessarily looking to work for a school district that pays the MOST money, but a comparable salary to what I make now (a little more would be nice too!) would be great...

As far as my criteria for the community...my fantasy town looks a lot like Stars Hollow from Gilmore Girls. ;-) Too much to ask? I'd probably do better in a liberal, artsy type community than a conservative one. Woodstock looks beautiful and seems like my kinda town...

Old 06-29-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjay921 View Post
That is such a helpful website, thank you!!! I have done some research into school districts and I found an article which has a helpful tool that allows one to look up the salary scale for each district in New York.

I'm not necessarily looking to work for a school district that pays the MOST money, but a comparable salary to what I make now (a little more would be nice too!) would be great...

As far as my criteria for the community...my fantasy town looks a lot like Stars Hollow from Gilmore Girls. ;-) Too much to ask? I'd probably do better in a liberal, artsy type community than a conservative one. Woodstock looks beautiful and seems like my kinda town...
I would look into smaller communities with a college like Hamilton, Clinton, Brockport, Cazenovia, Aurora, Geneseo, Potsdam, Canton, etc..... Do you have a population limit, as all of these communities have under, if not well under 10,000 people? Does proximity to a bigger city matter?

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-29-2015 at 01:53 PM..

Old 06-29-2015, 02:18 PM

Yes, under 10,000 people and proximity to a bigger city for job searching purposes (say within a 45 min drive) would be ideal. I've lived in Berkeley for the last 8 years and before that, I lived in Santa Cruz, so the allure of living in a college town has worn off. I'd love to be in a town with an older demographic. Artsy....but professional. Haha. I feel like I am describing a place that probably doesn't exist! ;-)

Old 06-29-2015, 03:58 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
Many of the "cute" small towns are stagnant with teaching opportunities for outsiders being slim to none. Figure out which general areas of the state interests you and start looking. If you haven't done so already contact the State Board of Ed and find out how you transfer your credentials and are you eligible to even work before getting your license.

Good Luck

Old 06-29-2015, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjay921 View Post
Yes, under 10,000 people and proximity to a bigger city for job searching purposes (say within a 45 min drive) would be ideal. I've lived in Berkeley for the last 8 years and before that, I lived in Santa Cruz, so the allure of living in a college town has worn off. I'd love to be in a town with an older demographic. Artsy....but professional. Haha. I feel like I am describing a place that probably doesn't exist! ;-)
I think you can get away with it in say Cazenovia, which isn't a college town in the truest sense, but has a college within the community. Same with some of the others.

Skaneateles is a community that comes to mind in terms of the feel, size and demographics, but it may or may not be artsy enough. https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9458...8i6656!6m1!1e1 If it isn't artsy enough, Syracuse isn't too far away and even nearby Auburn, which has some venues, could be options.

In the Hudson Valley area, you may like places like Rhinebeck and Saugerties may work. https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0777...8i6656!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9268...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Homer, which has a center of the arts, is just north of Cortland and is in between Syracuse and Ithaca, could be another option: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.6371...8i6656!6m1!1e1

East Aurora outside of Buffalo has Meibohm and Roycroft and has that quaint feel: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.7678...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Hopefully, some other posters will chime in with other suggestions.

Old 06-29-2015, 04:22 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,525,302 times
I like upstate NY for its fantastic architecture. The smaller towns in New York are definitely not liberal -not even close. They are solid GOP. The old buildings are cheap -taxes are high. I liked Geneva .

Also be prepared to freeze your ass off! You don't know cold living in the Bay Area. ( I went to undergrad at Berkeley). You will get a few months of freezing temps. Snow.

I made several trips to upstate NY lusting after old buildings that might make a great summer home. In the end I settled on a place outside of Ruidoso NM ( Bent). Taxes on a $400,000 property with 17 acres and ponds -- $1079. Summer temps in the 70's winter - cool but nice during the daytime.

Last edited by WestGuest; 06-29-2015 at 04:23 PM.. Reason: because i wanted to write more LOL

Old 06-29-2015, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think you can get away with it in say Cazenovia, which isn't a college town in the truest sense, but has a college within the community. Same with some of the others.

Skaneateles is a community that comes to mind in terms of the feel, size and demographics, but it may or may not be artsy enough. https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9458...8i6656!6m1!1e1 If it isn't artsy enough, Syracuse isn't too far away and even nearby Auburn, which has some venues, could be options.

In the Hudson Valley area, you may like places like Rhinebeck and Saugerties may work. https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0777...8i6656!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9268...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Homer, which has a center of the arts, is just north of Cortland and is in between Syracuse and Ithaca, could be another option: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.6371...8i6656!6m1!1e1

East Aurora outside of Buffalo has Meibohm and Roycroft and has that quaint feel: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.7678...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Hopefully, some other posters will chime in with other suggestions.
All the towns you mentioned are SO CUTE!!! You sure know your way around Upstate New York!

Old 06-29-2015, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
I like upstate NY for its fantastic architecture. The smaller towns in New York are definitely not liberal -not even close. They are solid GOP. The old buildings are cheap -taxes are high. I liked Geneva .

Also be prepared to freeze your ass off! You don't know cold living in the Bay Area. ( I went to undergrad at Berkeley). You will get a few months of freezing temps. Snow.

I made several trips to upstate NY lusting after old buildings that might make a great summer home. In the end I settled on a place outside of Ruidoso NM ( Bent). Taxes on a $400,000 property with 17 acres and ponds -- $1079. Summer temps in the 70's winter - cool but nice during the daytime.
Oh cool...so you know the area I am coming from. I'm kinda looking for an East Coast Fairfax. ;-)

GOP? Oh heck no... I've never lived anywhere conservative, unless you count parts of LA, but they are usually only fiscally conservative, not socially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York